Long Distance Commute Bike????

I commute 70 miles a day.....never really cared about mileage as it is twice as good as driving my truck.
I use a back pack with office clothes. Also have a tank bag and soft luggage but really back pack has never bothered me even carrying a lap top.
I use a mid windshield, I find being 5-7 it has less wind turbulence at my helmet than my higher touring one. Do the mod's to a Gen 1 and enjoy.

FZ1 can be a great tourer, BUT.. you've converted yours to naked. This was the #1 reason why I sold my FZ6 few years ago. I converted it to naked and while it was awesome for fun rides and having that truly exposed experience, when I had to start doing long highway rides (especially at 38 degrees), it just was anything, but fun.

My FZ1 has highway pegs, top case and side cases and a touring screen. I use a go-cruise for highway cruising.. pretty damn good for long distances all in all.

I wouldn't bother setting up your FZ1N for touring. If you can afford another bike, keep the FZ for fun and get something meant for long hwy rides.

New FJR is a phenomenal machine and I would absolutely love one.. I just personally don't feel like shelling out nearly 16k for one. Definitely THE bike I would want for long highway travels.

Super Ten is a very fun bike, but I found wind buffeting to be absolutely terrible on it (I'm sure there are aftermarket screens which can help). It's no better than FZ1 for highway riding.. except maybe for a more comfortable leg position.

I would probably test ride Honda NC700X. Relatively inexpensive, good fuel eco, available hard luggage.. seems like a pretty good tool for the job.

FZ1 can be a great tourer, BUT.. you've converted yours to naked. This was the #1 reason why I sold my FZ6 few years ago. I converted it to naked and while it was awesome for fun rides and having that truly exposed experience, when I had to start doing long highway rides (especially at 38 degrees), it just was anything, but fun.

My FZ1 has highway pegs, top case and side cases and a touring screen. I use a go-cruise for highway cruising.. pretty damn good for long distances all in all.

I wouldn't bother setting up your FZ1N for touring. If you can afford another bike, keep the FZ for fun and get something meant for long hwy rides.

New FJR is a phenomenal machine and I would absolutely love one.. I just personally don't feel like shelling out nearly 16k for one. Definitely THE bike I would want for long highway travels.

Super Ten is a very fun bike, but I found wind buffeting to be absolutely terrible on it (I'm sure there are aftermarket screens which can help). It's no better than FZ1 for highway riding.. except maybe for a more comfortable leg position.

I would probably test ride Honda NC700X. Relatively inexpensive, good fuel eco, available hard luggage.. seems like a pretty good tool for the job.

I've thought about the NC700X as well, however the road I would be going up and down is posted 75mph and in some sections you will get run over if you are not going 85mph. The road is policed a little more than it used to be and has slowed down the traffic to 75 but there have been times where I'm barely keeping up at 85. I remember the early reviews of the NC700X talking about it's top end not being enough, better than a Ninja250 but still not anything to bet your life on.

I've thought about the NC700X as well, however the road I would be going up and down is posted 75mph and in some sections you will get run over if you are not going 85mph. The road is policed a little more than it used to be and has slowed down the traffic to 75 but there have been times where I'm barely keeping up at 85. I remember the early reviews of the NC700X talking about it's top end not being enough, better than a Ninja250 but still not anything to bet your life on.

The NC700 will get you well over 100. Hell the Ninja 250 will get you over 100. It isn't that much of a pig. Love the tank storage on that one.

I wouldn't give up on it without trying it first. Sure it's not going to pull like FZ1, but it's gotta be more than enough. It should be faster than most cars going from 75 to 85 in top gear.

I can't see the point in the NC when a used Versys gives you a lot more power (double?), handling and performance for way, way, way less cost. It does get lower fuel economy but the thousands you save more than make up the difference. And it's more fun

The same can be said for the gen I FZ1 as well. 45-50 mpg but extremely cheap to buy and very versatile. I'd liken it to a baby FJR. It's actually a great option for you, Sky

Last edited:
I can't see the point in the NC when a used gives you a lot more power (double?), handling and performance for way, way, way less cost. It does get lower fuel economy but the thousands you save more than make up the difference. And it's more fun

So Dustin only owns used FZ1s?

I would still go with one of the new Honda 500s. They are fuel efficient and affordable and sexy. ...and damn it Jim! You are a Doctor! You can afford it!

Kawasaki Concours 14.... 41-48 mpg average reporting on Fuelly by owners. I rode Norm's for about a total of one month. Best touring bike I've been on yet. I averaged about 41 mpg and I wasn't babying the throttle. Comfortable, not hard to handle and surprisingly nimble in the corners. Big plus is built-in side cases (removable) and PLENTY of power for two-up plus very comfortable for the passenger. Just be sure to buy a 2010 or newer.

We all apparently seem to have very different ideas of what a commuter is.

To me it is all about gas mileage and dependability. I always prefer new bikes. As such I would likely look for a more affordable range of new bike because dependability is so important to me in a commuter. I don't want to inherit any mystery problems. I have to be at work on time.

I personally want something over 60mpg for such a bike. I don't need motogp power to commute. ....but I do need an upright position to better scout traffic and hazards. I want to be comfortable but not 500 miles a day comfort. I need just enough space to take a change of clothes and my laptop to and from work.

It is a bonus if that little bike puts a smile on my face too. I have yet to ride one that did not do that.

Last edited:
So Dustin only owns used FZ1s?

I would still go with one of the new Honda 500s. They are fuel efficient and affordable and sexy. ...and damn it Jim! You are a Doctor! You can afford it!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the new Honda 500s and I'd totally buy one. That CBR500 is a wicked bike!

However! Our doctor friend here is poor and one can pick up a used Versys or gen 1 FZ1 for half the cost of a used NC or a new CB500. Also, he was specific in that he wanted a long distance commuter.

Plus! $2500 for Yamaha reliability, 140 hp, 5.5 gallons of fuel & 50 MPG? :unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

100 miles in not long distance to me. ;)

I agree. It would be 100 miles each way, 200 miles for the day. I think I just may need a different seat for the Fz1, my legs and butt go numb after about 35-50 miles because of the riding position.

However, I just got a different job offer in the PHX valley and won't have to make the move up and commute now.

I appreciate all the input though guys

I still think my next bike will be a sport tour or adventure tour bike. I love the Fz1 but much over 200 miles in a day and I'm not the most comfortable guy.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the new Honda 500s and I'd totally buy one. That CBR500 is a wicked bike!

However! Our doctor friend here is poor and one can pick up a used Versys or gen 1 FZ1 for half the cost of a used NC or a new CB500. Also, he was specific in that he wanted a long distance commuter.

Plus! $2500 for Yamaha reliability, 140 hp, 5.5 gallons of fuel & 50 MPG? :unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

Everybody thinks a doctor makes a lot of money. Unfortunately I became a naturopathic doctor and our top earners are just into the low 6 figures, (I have one friend out of I would guess 100 that makes over 100k). Throw the student loans in, and trying to pay for and maintain a practice, it just doesn't add up. I tell people all the time that say they want to get into medicine to not do it. And if you do it, be a PA, they make about the same as I can and have half the student loans, half the responsibility and if they do it right the same amount of free time.

As for further economic ideas. Throw in the 6 years I could have been working at a regular job (insurance sales, business, pharmaceutical rep, engineer, etc) and that's at least another 100-300,000 in earnings that I am starting out behind someone who was smart enough and just got a job. Ultimately that means no savings and/or 401k to fall back on.

So, for the next 5-15 years I will be living on the cheap to hopefully make enough money to outweigh the time and money already invested in my career to get back to the same start point as someone who just got a regular career.

I'm not bitter (well not too bitter) about it all. If the apocalypse comes and the entire system collapses, I could take care of an entire community with just natural remedies. Then I would be rich, I could accept all the eggs and deer meat and vegetables people could offer in trade.

You know the group of people that gets to me the most is those in the service industry, bartenders and waitresses. An average bartender around where I live will pull in 60-80k a year working 3-4 days a week. No college degree, no student debt, just straight cash that they only report about 1/2 of for taxes. I wish I watched cocktail with Tom Cruise a few more times and was inspired to be a bartender.

Ok, off my soap box. And thanks again for all the good input guys.

I agree. It would be 100 miles each way, 200 miles for the day. I think I just may need a different seat for the Fz1, my legs and butt go numb after about 35-50 miles because of the riding position.

However, I just got a different job offer in the PHX valley and won't have to make the move up and commute now.

I appreciate all the input though guys

I still think my next bike will be a sport tour or adventure tour bike. I love the Fz1 but much over 200 miles in a day and I'm not the most comfortable guy.

Look into highway pegs. They're very discrete and definitely help on long rides. Mine are black and you can barely see them.

GENII Highway Pegs - R1 Conversion - FZ1OA Message Board

I find my seat to be quite comfortable (no issues doing 360 twisty miles in a day), but if I wanted something more comfortable, I'd look into Spencer mod. I've read a lot of reviews and all are positive.

Spencer seat mod

Want to go cheap and have a decent touring bike that pound 50 MPG all day long, get a FZ6R. Even with all the mod I did I still get 45 MPG if I do highway only. Bone stock if you take it easy you can get mid 50's MPG.

Wind protection, plenty of people selling there bike or aftermarket goodies for less than nothing. A friend of mine is selling her bike now. She can't get 4K for it. 2009 with only 10K miles on it, barely broken in! LOL Bunch of kids buy those things and after 5K miles they think they're ready for a R1 then trade it in for less than nothing.

I got 43K miles on mine and still going strong. I plan on getting a new one this year but will keep my old girl around.

dirt road seat:tup:......from other site......comfy 300 mile days - no problem!
satan 666 pegs:tup:....ditto.......stretch out on the slab.
I've put over 7,000 miles on my Fz1 in the last 4 months, and can vouch for both of these additions. Turns it quickly into a capable sport tourer....along with bags, or a large tailbag of course.:)

Hi guys,

I am contemplating a move here in the future to northern AZ. I would be on average 50-100 miles away from the places I would need to go for work. Mostly highway, but opportunity to go on twisty mountain roads if I wanted to avoid highways.

I love the hell out of my FZ1 and will keep the bike until it gives up the ghost. However I'm thinking about getting a second touring type bike like an FJR to commute on. (I refuse to get back into a car unless I absolutely need to).

Criteria I'm considering.
1. Comfort: must have a comfortable seat and riding position. The Fz1 is good but after about 35-50 miles my butt and then legs go numb, and standing while riding down the freeway is generally frowned upon by LEO's. Also I love my naked headlight setup but a nice big windscreen would be better I'm sure for the type of commuting I'm considering.

2. MPG's: The Fz1 is good at 35 mpg, but I would like something up around the 40s-maybe 50s.

3. Luggage: integrated luggage like the FJR is desired. I don't have much to carry but would like to avoid riding with a backpack.

4. Easy(ier) maintenance schedule. I know every 500 miles to lube a chain isn't asking much but that would be once to twice a week with my new schedule and routes.

Anyone else who commutes long distances on their bikes please jump in and point out any other stuff I'm not thinking of. I still don't have a full year on 2 wheels under my belt but I'm already at 18,000 miles in 8 months, and that is not living in the boondocks. My point is, I'm still a noob, but I do have some experience.

Also, if you think I can convert the Fz1 to fit the criteria easily enough, then let me know. However, I was planning on setting it up more for getting to the track and still sport riding on the weekends.

I'm in the same boat. Love my '09 FZ1---it's been my daily driver for the last two years. But I've grown weary of its shortcomings as a freeway commuter.

It's not that it's uncomfortable. In fact the FZ1 fits me just about perfectly in terms of ergonomics. What does bother me is the low fuel range, requiring me to fill up twice a week. Another gallon of capacity would go a long way. (Get a Gen1, right!?) The other thing is that the FZ1 isn't the best 4-season bike. In the winter I really have to bundle up and in the summer the engine heat cooks my legs. It would be nice to have ABS for the occasional rainy day, too. And shaft drive. And hard luggage.

I realize these are all relatively minor frustrations. Which is why I'm still riding the FZ1 two years later. Last year I thought I'd found its replacement in a 2nd Gen FJR. But the ergonomics---which felt fine on the test ride---didn't work out long term. And the fuel range wasn't great. Lots of engine heat, too.

Now I've got my eye on a BMW R1200RT. I rented one for a day and fell in love. But damn are they expensive! Insurance would be a little cheaper but the ownership costs are staggering---at least for a relatively new model.

In any case, I suggest you test-ride all the shaft-driven sport touring and adventure touring bikes: BMW GS/GT/RT, Honda ST, Kawasaki GTR, Triumph Explorer/Trophy, Yamaha Super Tenere/FJR. If they're available locally to rent, do it. Renting bikes is expensive, yes, but less expensive than the "use tax" (You guys have that in AZ?) you'll lose if you buy the wrong bike. And I've found test-sits and even short test-rides can be deceiving. Even so, a short test-ride is better than nothing. The European motorcycle dealers around here generally have demo bikes and will let you test-ride their used bikes. The Japanese bike dealers.. not so much.

Good luck.

Forty three years ago I was commuting on a Suzuki 250 Enduro in all seasons except when it snowed. I rode freeways three days a week to attend night classes after work for my BA degree. All I had was a snowmobile suit, boots and gloves, an open face Bell helmet with a face bubble shield and a mask to keep the air warm. The bike was durable but required lots of maintenance and a backpack was the luggage option.

As I became more affluent I graduated to a Suzuki GS750 with a full Vetter Windjammer fairing and Krauser side bags as my daily commuter. Much more comfy but still hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Mileage was about 30 to 35 mpg but gas cost only $0.70/gal then and I had to fill three or four times a week. Top speed was about 105. Funny thing about the lower fairings was that you got more engine heat in the summer and hardly noticed any extra heat in the winter but you did get more engine noise.

Fast forward to today. My daily is the 2012 FZ1 I recently purchased and I love it. With the touring windshield (GIVI) I am quite comfy and not dealing with wind buffeting or rain (while on the highway). I have soft luggage (Cortech Super 2) which meets all my needs except no locking ability. My mpg is 37 to 42 and handling is great compared to bikes weighing up to 400 pounds more or cost twice as much. However, I am contemplating GIVI side cases.

Had I not bought the FZ1 I would have picked up either a 2013 Star Bolt or Honda NC700 both were the same price as I paid for a new 2012 FZ1.

Just my opinion from someone who has tried many bikes over 45 years.

Last edited:
Everybody thinks a doctor makes a lot of money. Unfortunately I became a naturopathic doctor and our top earners are just into the low 6 figures, (I have one friend out of I would guess 100 that makes over 100k). Throw the student loans in, and trying to pay for and maintain a practice, it just doesn't add up. I tell people all the time that say they want to get into medicine to not do it. And if you do it, be a PA, they make about the same as I can and have half the student loans, half the responsibility and if they do it right the same amount of free time.

If the apocalypse comes and the entire system collapses, I could take care of an entire community with just natural remedies. Then I would be rich, I could accept all the eggs and deer meat and vegetables people could offer in trade.

I've lived in heavily socialized medicine countries such as the UK, Australia and Canada and medical professionals are generally regarded no higher than any other group of individuals.....they are just another cog in society. They go to school a long time, get certified and then labor along under a government run system. The US is now starting to go down that route and we will see fewer talented people going into medicine....who wants to put in all that time just to see your income level capped by what the government is willing to pay?

My grandfather was a country doctor in Wisconsin a 100 years ago. He made his rounds by horse, snowmobile and motorcycle and often got paid in goats, chickens, eggs and whatever else the client could afford to pay. He finally joined a fledgling clinic in 1931 and he said he was glad to do that as he got tired of falling off that damn motorcycle. Maybe we will go back to that kind of system if the apocalypse happens.

Back