Lake Superior Circle Tour

A friend of mine and I did about half the circle tour from Monday to Thursday of this week. We hit the Sault at about noon on Monday and were home by 5:00 Thursday. The weather in northern Ontario was a bit cooler than it has been in northern Michigan but not bad, although we got off to about 100 miles in pretty heavy rain. There were a ton on bikes going around lake Superior and one trip on 17 around the northern half of lake Superior will have you wanting to make it every summer. I've done a lot of touring in Montana and Arizona in the high country and they have nothing over the touring around the biggest lake on the planet. Good pavement and curves that were made for nothing but going really fast. We had a Ontario police officer come up from behind after we had been doing more than 20 kph over and he just kept on going so he must have had better things to do other than write tickets. Anyway, I highly recommend that ride to anyone who can get up there. Be ready for some prices that are higher than you are used to if you are going up there from the States. Gas was about $1.37/L and The American buck was exchanging at $1 American = $.91 Canadian.

Back