Just stirring the pot

Got up this morning and decided to stir up some thought. I'm old enough to be a Vietnam vet and a vet of a lot of other stuff as well, but one thing I never got into was inking my skin with graphics that didn't come with the original package. Tried the ear ring thing for about 20 years then ditched that brilliant idea for the same basic reason as not permanently screwing with the bod. I remember when the fad was to do something that caused a person to be a little different. Now you practically can't find a guy, or gal, for that matter, that doesn't have a pound of metal hanging from their ears or a few murals painted somewhere. Huh, just wondering how that's working for the 5 million people out there trying to apply for a job that's not behind the McDonald's counter? I guess I'm the one who's out of step, after 61 years I'm still clean, and different.

No, you're not. I know plenty of people w/o any piercings or tattoos (I'm in that group). Neither has ever had any attraction to me. One thing is to have a tattoo that can be covered up when dressed, but a lot of these people go overboard, especially with the facial piercings and elongated ear lobes. I just don't get it :confused0024:

We must be getting old guys because I also don't see the attraction of tats/piercings either.
What I really don't like is young women getting big tats on their arms, shoulders etc.
It looks cool when you are young but 10 years later when you want to get married it's not such a good look in the wedding photos.

I REALLY LOOKED INTO getting a tattoo removal business. LOL I think people will regret their decision when their skin stretches with age and their eagle tattoo starts to look like a sick buzzard. :)
LOL
At 40 - Most of my friends have ink. Almost as many either have piercing in some area or have had piercings. I have never cared for either but to each their own.

Can't see the point of inking yourself, especially when you see attractive young women with tramp stamps, tatts on neck, arms, legs. It doesn't even look cool now and can you imagine how it will look when they are 50 and older. Ugh. At least with a piercing you can always take it out if you get tired of it.

Yes I am the type that I have thought of getting a tattoo but then I figured I would get tired of it and want to have to change it... besides Id rather put my money into my motorcycles....lol

I am one that has tats, but you will never be able to see them unless i am shirtless and that is the way it will stay. Im not going to argue for them I just know I have mine as a regular reminder of whats important in life. You guys are right seems like everyone has them but in my experience no one can give me good reason for the ones they have. I have also never understood the tats in different langueages. I mean really for all they know what they think is power in chinese really says misquito cause the artist forgot a dot or line, but to each his/her own.

I'm with Tony. I'm not into having ink on your neck, covering your arms and legs, but I don't mind something that is hidden when your wearing clothing. Most people don't even know I have ink and I don't really make it a point to show anyone. It's my personal thing and I keep it to myself. I never judge anyone just because they are full of ink. Some of my good friends have tattoo's and they are the sweetest guys you'd ever want to meet. Unfortunately, like it's been said, presentation is everything when it comes to employment, and if you want to make a great first impression, it's best to leave things covered.

I've got 2 tats, my dad got one when he was in his 40's... my sis has 6 or 7... one is about 14" across and 10" tall between her shoulders on her back....

but... all 3 of us, our tattoos are covered when wearing "professional" clothing.... I have to wear long sleeves to cover mine.... but... I don't regret them... I'd like to get another when time / money allows...

I'm 70 years old and was a Marine in the 'early 60s. I was drunk in one of the worst neighborhoods in Downtown San Diego with five Marine buddies. All five of them got tattoos and I laughed as I watched them wince in pain while getting "Death before dishonor", "Semper Fi", "My Caroline forever", etc. I figured if I didn't get tattooed that night I was safe. Never had the temptation since. No body piercings, etc. I have no problem with those that choose to pierce or tattoo. And I hope I am never discriminatory. I do know that there are consequences for every action - even some that aren't fair. But though all have a right to pierce, tattoo, etc. Others are going to interpret it as they see fit, whether that is employment, social avoidance, etc. And whether or not it is fair, that is just the way it is.

I'm 70 years old and was a Marine in the 'early 60s. I was drunk in one of the worst neighborhoods in Downtown San Diego with five Marine buddies. All five of them got tattoos and I laughed as I watched them wince in pain while getting "Death before dishonor", "Semper Fi", "My Caroline forever", etc. I figured if I didn't get tattooed that night I was safe. Never had the temptation since. No body piercings, etc. I have no problem with those that choose to pierce or tattoo. And I hope I am never discriminatory. I do know that there are consequences for every action - even some that aren't fair. But though all have a right to pierce, tattoo, etc. Others are going to interpret it as they see fit, whether that is employment, social avoidance, etc. And whether or not it is fair, that is just the way it is.

That is very, very true and that's why you should always think about the consequences of your actions...It's not like you can go home and wash that tattoo off from the top of your hand or glue back your earlobe.

I've also served, AND have tattoos, all in places that can be covered by clothing, and happy I live in America where I can make that choice. Or my friends can make the choice to put them out in front of everyone. This day and age I don't get the judgement. All kinds of different folks have tats. Just like all kinds of folks ride sport bikes. We don't like to be judged a punk just because of what we choose to ride. Ask my stalker cop in Rockwall, he got the entire don't judge me speech last time he pulled me over. :) to each his own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some ink my 27yo daughter who was born on my birthday and I got some what identical tats when she was 23. Its all about personal choice, you cant see hers unless in swim suit. Mine without tank shirt, I have one that most of you might like. I think it looks familiar.

i have 4 tattoos and plan on getting more. i like having them, and i like getting them. out of the 4 i have, 3 make sense and are tied into my military service. the other one, and coincidentally the biggest one really doesn't have any meaning and was a total impulse tattoo. but i still like it and don't regret it. it's a tribal half sleeve on my other arm. none of the tattoos go below my elbows though. like eltigre1 said, i only knew a handful of people in the marines that never got any tattoos. it's part of the culture, just like you will rarely find a marine that doesn't smoke or dip haha. the usmc at the top was my first tattoo. this one was my last that i got when we came home in 2007. "when you go home tell them for us and say for your tomorrow we gave our today" the letters are initials of my close friends and brothers that were killed in combat operations on our second tour.

6134855874_1845a6bcdd_m.jpg

Back