Just Plain Fun

A few years back I traded a big, heavy, Torquey cruiser (M109R) for a Suzuki V-Strom 650 because I was tired of hauling the nearly 800 Cruiser around. I didn't have a lot of expectations about a 90 degree V twin of only 650 cc but after riding it for a while I was amazed at the power and smoothness of that scoot. It would honestly top 120 MPH and do it pretty quickly to boot. I ended up trading it for my FZ1 and I'm pretty happy with the FZ1. There are days, however, that I wish I still had the V-Strom. I thought Suzukli had discontinued it but now I see they have made a couple changes and improvements and the new one is dangling in front of me lke the proverbable carrot. One thing I really miss from the 650 was it's absolutley perfect throttle response but the seat was just a bit too high for my short legs. They will surprise the daylights out of many bigger bikes that's for sure.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS First Look Review- V-Strom Adventure Bike

I am able to compare the 650cc from Suzuki directly to the FZ1, as my wife owns an SV650. The 'Zook is alright, but when I am on her bike, I SO badly miss the outright power and fun on the FZ1. My personal opinion, stick with your FZ1, and enjoy the hell out of it!

I sure do love watching my wife in the rear view get smaller and smaller when we are riding together and she is on her SZ650. And even she enjoys the power that the FZ1 has when we switch out, and she can actually get away from me. (those times don't last too long, as I need my baby back!!)

I tried to like the V-Strom. Owners I met talked about them with evangelical fervor.
Owned one for 9 months and decided it was a so-so off road bike and a bad road bike. I do like the updated exterior for 2012. If I was going to do a middle weight adventure bike again, I'd lean toward the Kawasaki Versys. But, don't see myself on an adventure bike any time soon.

The Versys is a very sweet ride. I demo'd one. Not the power of the FZ1 but plenty powerful to get out of its own way and just plain easy to ride. I too, don't like how tall the Vstrom sits and I have a decent inseam. I haven't actually ridden a VStrom though.

Every time I get over the thought of a adventure bike my friend Charlie will allow me to put some miles on his 09 BMW GS. I fall in love every time. If the V Strom is half as good I would probably love it as well.

Back