Just did an oil change

...More good news? The wife's FZ6R takes the SAME FILTERS! w00t!!!!

Yea, I think Yamaha pretty much standardized their oil filters across the board. It makes sense as they can cover everything with one part.

I myself like to use the Purolator PureOne PL14612. And it just so happens that my Honda Accord uses the same filter so when I find them on sale I stock up :)

Last edited:
Check this one Billy... http://www.998cc.org/forum/6174-post14.html

I keep this list on my Blackberry so when I am looking at deals on filters, I know what fits. I prefer the Fram PH6017a though and just scored 3 of them.

More good news? The wife's FZ6R takes the SAME FILTERS! w00t!!!!

From what I read Fram are some of the lower grade filters on the market. They probably work fine enough, but they have cardboard end caps for the filtering element where the other "recommended" filters(the fram is not even on the rec. list) have metal end caps. Just from what I have read on other peoples research...

From what I read Fram are some of the lower grade filters on the market. They probably work fine enough, but they have cardboard end caps for the filtering element where the other \"recommended\" filters(the fram is not even on the rec. list) have metal end caps. Just from what I have read on other peoples research...

I'm glad I caught you on Torque. Thanks for the numbers! CanonFuji saved a bundle Saturday at Wally world. We had a nice ride to boot.

I have heard the same about Fram filters. When I was on the Honda Shadow forum, they did a study with all brands of filters and the Fram filters constantly found themselves dead last in reliability and function. There was a member there who actually did the study over the course of months and compiled his findings in a report he posted there. From that day on I ceased buying Frams and went to Purolators.

From what I read Fram are some of the lower grade filters on the market. They probably work fine enough, but they have cardboard end caps for the filtering element where the other \"recommended\" filters(the fram is not even on the rec. list) have metal end caps. Just from what I have read on other peoples research...

I've read about this as well but the motorcycle filters, while still cardboard end cap, are built a bit different than the auto filters typically dissected and tested. The auto filters, for some reason only have 6 or 8 smaller holes. The cycle filter has 10 holes for oil flow.

But, for shear curiosity, when I change my oil next, I intend to now tear apart the used filter and see what is happening in there. I'll try and get pics (messy job) and post a report. Who knows, it might be the last time I use them. ;)

Honeywell makes them for Fram as Fram doesn't make a single one. Purolator is one of the few that still actually make their own. Perhaps we can convince you to pull yours apart at the next change and show us what is good (and bad, if anything) about that one?

Anyone else using another brand religiously and willing to dissect for this too? :cool:

Thanks for the heads up

don't know from the stealer -- but online (@ store.knfilters.com 14.00) like it because it has a 17mm socket for easy removal....it is what came on the bike when I purchased it and it has been what I stuck with --- but I guess that may be subject to change depending upon the internals....

don't know from the stealer -- but online (@ store.knfilters.com 14.00) like it because it has a 17mm socket for easy removal....it is what came on the bike when I purchased it and it has been what I stuck with --- but I guess that may be subject to change depending upon the internals....

You don't have to worry about the K&N's. I do remember them doing really well in the comparison tests so sleep easy, your fine. I was just curious as to how expensive they were.

This thread really inspired me. So much so that I'm taking a days leave tomorrow to get down and dirty with the bike....actually that's a lie ... I'm taking it to my local dealer to do the first 6K service. Fully syth oil of course with Yamaha OEM parts. Let's see how much they charge....bet I get really spanked.

Thanks to Torque for all the info. Me and CanonFuji just got back from Walmart. Hows this for a bargain: The oil filter ST7317 $2.78
Gal. Shell Rotella Non Synth. $11.77

Me last Sunday: Yamaha Oil Filter $9.00 dollars
4 Qts. Honda 20w50 Non Synth $32.00 dollars

Who's smarter than me!...........EVERYONE!!!!

Spending $41.00 dollars for an oil change........PRICELESS!!

Go ahead, let me have it. I deserve it.:shame:

You're not the only one. I spent the same at our local stealership for the same parts. This was it's first oil change and the 600 mile mark came up really fast. So instead of waiting for a K&N to be shipped to me, I just bit the bullet and spent the $$. Never again though.

i looked into getting on of the "kits" from my local yamaha dealer.....
i priced it......:spank2:
then i looked at the contents,
thinking there had to be something...."more"
there was!!!!!

a jar of Vasoline in the bottom.....:spank2:
:spank2::spank2::spank2:

Hey consider yourself lucky. At least they were kind and included the Vaseline this time :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Yeah! First, last and ONLY time I let them at it? I turned around and all's I heard was "Brace yourself!" Next thing I know, I'm laying in a parking lot next to my bike, my ass hurts and my wallet was completely drained. :cry:

lolup

on top of all the cost issues... the dealership monkeys will never care for your bike the way you do. I promise they do not give to craps about whether all the old oil drains out or not. They will do it as quick as possible. Most places have bike lifts which keep the bike perfectly upright. As soon as the oil is going to a drip they will plug er back up and put in new oil... which means tons of old dirty oil is mixed in. Enjoy the rape!

Back