Instrument Cluster Vibration

My bike has developed a very annoying buzz from somewhere near the instruments. It happens at about 4,500 rpms, like clockwork. It obviously is some plastic on plastic rub point, and does it's thing right at the 4.5K frequency.

I found that by touching the instrument cluster, the vibration is stopped. Obviously, this is a little dangerous, and somewhat of an imperfect diagnostic technique, but I believe that is is the instruments.

Today I learned how to remove the fairing. It's not that bad. I took some of that low density weather stripping foam and put it between the instruments and the mount (there are two studs that protrude and come within about 1/4-inch of the instrument mount).

Took about an hour. Tomorrow we'll see if it works.

Stay tuned, and send my bike lots of positive energy. I'll let you know how this turns out.

BTW, seems to be a check mark in the advantage column for a naked FZ1 (there I said it before you could Mean1 :D).

Last edited:
I found it! It's that little plastic vent under the clear windscreen. In looking at it, there's no way it wouldn't do this eventually.

A little bit of weather stripping and all is well.

Buzzez like a flock of bees

My bike does the same annoying thing, and only a certain rpms, usually on the way up the speedo, but after about 100mph I hardly notice it at all. And seeing as my bike is an "06 there aint gonna be no Yamaha warranty to deal with it. At first it was kinda a novelty, then it was aggravating, now I just ignore it. As long as it not indicating that parts are gonna fly off the bike, I guess I can learn to live with it. It definetly seems to be a design flaw in the way the front fairing/shroud are designed and/or manufactured. :cool:

This is a very common problem on the Gen. 2 bikes and you are correct it is the triangle shaped plastic vent at the bottom of the windshield, I removed mine, stuck some double sided tape on the back and re-installed it, buzzing gone. :)

I get this too on my N. and I don't have that vent. TBH I thought it might be the bottom of the radiator cover. when I check it in the garage, seems like there is some movement near the bottom of it... any ideas how to fix this?

I got a rubber grommet and jammed it up in under the speedo on the tack side and the buzzzzzzz is gone completely..... Try it it should work... Did for me

Back