How many miles to a tank

I'll start by saying hello(new member)

picked up my new fz 1 n wednesday and today was the first chance i've had to put any miles on it. I filled it up to the top and only managed to get 92 miles before the fuel trip started to flash, thinking i'd read it wrong i filled it up again and reset trip, i noticed the first bar on fuel trip went after only 3.2 miles and started flashing again at 91.5 miles. I am only running it in(up 6000 revs ish) whats it going to be like when i start to ride it properly.

my questions are, will it get better with age, is the fuel gauge not very good, how many miles on reserve, and what miles are you lot getting to the tank full?

I will add that its one hell of a bike:D for the road fast enough to have fun with a riding position that doesn't make you want to go fast all the time unlike my 08 fireblade does.

First let me say welcome to the forum. By "new" I assume you mean brand new. Not sure about the second generation bikes but my first generation in stock form was getting just over 200 miles per tank. After my mods (jet kit), I still average 39 to 41 mpg. If I'm leaning on it I average about 34 to 36mpg. Are you sure that you are figuring correctly? It's just that 91 miles on a tank seems way off.

yes its a 09 fz 1 n.

when the fuel trip starts it defo 92 miles. when i fill it up it takes about £10 to fill it up( £1.03 ltr ).

there is no way i could get anywhere near 200:jaw drop: out of a tank full and as i said i'm running it in so going steady (ish)

i think i will ask at first service to check clocks or fuel gauge sender if somebody says i should be getting more than what i'm getting.

unless reserve is good for 50 miles or so????????????????:confused0024:

ehup mate, welcome to the fourum. i have an 06 fz1n i get about 100-120 miles from full to reserve takes about £17 to fill to the brimm!! ive done some mods so it can be thirsty when pushed, i ran it dry once showing 30 odd miles !! dont no if the 09 has a different reserve size though!

Gen II.... I've had a 32 mpg tank, a 37 mpg tank and a 39 mpg tank. .. . .. . It really does depend on how you ride it. . . I am sure you can stretch 40 mpg but I am sure you can achieve 30 mpg on a tank too!

Last edited:
Welcome!

I ususally get about 102 miles from full to F-Trip on my stock 07. Not really sure how much more is left to go after that. I think the most I've done with the F-Trip flashing is 25 miles. Don't remember for sure.

Welcome!

I ususally get about 102 miles from full to F-Trip on my stock 07. Not really sure how much more is left to go after that. I think the most I've done with the F-Trip flashing is 25 miles. Don't remember for sure.

Then there has definitely gotta be a difference in tank size between Gen1's and Gen2's for sure.

But think about it -- the reserve light comes on with one gallon to go -- so if you are avg 102 miles on 3.6 gallons, that is 28.3 mpg. I've been getting pretty agressive lately while riding (not short shifting and opening her up). When I fueled up this am, I was at 161 miles and it took 4.2 gallons to fill up (38.3mpg)

I met with Don (Lonerider) on Thursday as he was passing through on his way to AZ. He made the comment that has me thinking....maybe the PCIII isn't such a bad investment afterall. Having the ability to streamline your performance based on the needs. If the factory map is set to run rich, you are wasting your fuel without any real residule benefit....He also has an O2 sensor so it helps him better understand what the conditions are while he is traveling.

After seeing his scoot, I would have to admit that the Gen II owners have a good thing going for them, I just don't know if my wallet could support the higher dollar components to get where I'm at now with the Gen I.

Adam

But think about it -- the reserve light comes on with one gallon to go -- so if you are avg 102 miles on 3.6 gallons, that is 28.3 mpg. I've been getting pretty agressive lately while riding (not short shifting and opening her up). When I fueled up this am, I was at 161 miles and it took 4.2 gallons to fill up (38.3mpg)

I met with Don (Lonerider) on Thursday as he was passing through on his way to AZ. He made the comment that has me thinking....maybe the PCIII isn't such a bad investment afterall. Having the ability to streamline your performance based on the needs. If the factory map is set to run rich, you are wasting your fuel without any real residule benefit....He also has an O2 sensor so it helps him better understand what the conditions are while he is traveling.

After seeing his scoot, I would have to admit that the Gen II owners have a good thing going for them, I just don't know if my wallet could support the higher dollar components to get where I'm at now with the Gen I.

Adam

One of the biggest complaints of the Gen II is the smaller gas tank. It's only 4.76 gallons :disapproval:. I usually go 120-130 miles before hitting reserve.

The PC V is even better in that you have the ability to switch between two maps at the flip of a switch. I ordered mine and intend to use that feature. This way I'll have one map for max power and one for max fuel economy.

Thus far, just a few tanks through it.... the '09 got me 34 mpg, 31 mpg , 37 mpg and 39.6 mpg and these were all under very differing circumstances. The 39.6 mpg was treating the bike as a tourer and that was 159.9 miles on 4.1 gallons (US) of gas.

The last tank though was scary! 119 miles on 3.8 gallons. Hope THAT doesn't keep pace!

Last edited:
Sounds like someone has a heavy throttle hand!!:D

Well, it WAS a mission to make sure the *entire* tire was scrubbed. :D Besides, some days, she just loves to scream at the top of her lungs!

I'm expecting an average of about 35 mpg based on the first few tanks. Those are the roughest while everything breaks in and seats and she stops running so hot. I expect to fill up around 140 to 150 miles into the tank. I'm not really happy about the capacity of it coming from the FZ6 where 210 miles on a tank was the norm.

yet another reason to get off my arse and install everything related to the jet kit.....If I can install and maintain same fuel economy with added twist of the wrist syndrom....all over it.

Adam

At least you guys can jet and make gains... I don't have a lot of options. :(

<------------But, as you can see, the airbox mod this weekend DID take me to 115 mpg! :Rockon:

I can generally get about 120 Miles / tank or 200 km. Only when not on my pizza delivery schedule when it drops dramatically. :) This of course produces more of a smile from me than when driving Miss Daisy.

:stunta]:

At least you guys can jet and make gains... I don't have a lot of options. :(

<------------But, as you can see, the airbox mod this weekend DID take me to 115 mpg! :Rockon:

I thought the whole thing for the PCIII was to have the ability to "change options" to either increase performance based on what the final goal was?

Just had to have a computer to do it??

Adam

Last edited:
Back