Hi, New (potential Fz1 N owner) - seeking advice

Hey There!

I'm from Sydney, Australia, and im looking to get back into riding after about 7 years bike-less..

I used to ride sports bikes exclusively. I started on a CBR250RR, then GSXR600, and finally GSXR750. I took all three to the track many many times, and enjoyed every minute! However, I'm now in the market for something "sporty" but also practical for the work commute, splitting traffic, some weekend rides, and with an upright seating position. Ive also fallen in love with the naked look.

Had a look at the 600 sportstourers, and given the amount of time i was away from riding, i thought this range would impress. Within 5 minutes of my test ride, i was already thinking "gee these aren't as grunty as i thought".

Much to the disappointment of the sales rep (though he was cool about it), i explained i would not be buying the bike (2008 CB600). They didn't have any other naked 900's in my range to try, so i went to another local bike shop in search of a cb900 or similar.

Didn't take long to find another shop, and i noticed a 2007 cb900, unfortunately, it had a sold sticker on in.. :-(...

I continued to look, and noticed an 2006 Fz1 n, just sitting there. I could hear it whispering to me.. "go on, you know you want to... " Anyhow, within 30 mins, i was doing a test ride.

I was immediately blown away. Power, comfort, styling, (yoshi -fitted) etc...
I was also immediately intimidated! I hadn't felt like this, since i first rode my 750! I found myself totally babying it around turns in fear of grunt induced HS.. hehe.. but i loved it.. and im pretty sure this is the bike for me.. i just have a few questions, im hoping the more experienced FZ1'ers out there can help with;

1. This is the big point for me.. it has 73,000km on the clock. This worries me big time. I mean the bike is in amazing condition, and the engine feels fantastic, with no odd noises here and there (unlike my suzies). It also has a FULL service history, and apparently only 1 owner. The sales manager was also willing to throw in 12 months warranty for free, because as he said "he felt totally confident with the bike's condition".

Is this too many kms for an fz1? should i be wary? are there things i should look at?

2. How is this bike for lane-splitting/commuting? That will be the bulk of my riding. My work is moving to an area where parking is $$, but motorcycle parking is free. How is this bike for everyday riding? Fighting traffic?

3. How is this bike in the wet (current rubber is pilot road 2).. our weather guys are predicting a wet-ish year. Given the power.. would this be too much for the wet? This is more a "me" question than a bike issue. I have just read that the 06 fz1 is snappy at the throttle.. and that freaks me out a little.

I never had a problem with the gixxer 750 in the wet with metzeller rennsports, but i knew that bike like the back of my hand. Is there enough throttle control available to calm my rusty biking nerves in the wet? FYI - i cant afford a PCIII right now.. i have heard this helps. Just how bad is the snap? or is it not really a problem?

Thanks for your help guys... any other info you can offer would be awesome! I'll be frank.. if im happy after hearing from "you experts".. i'll call the store on Monday and put a deposit on it!

EDIT: Added a couple of pics of her

Thanks!
cj

Last edited:
:welcome: and thanks for joining!

I can certainly offer my own opinion. ;)

1. While it's a lot of distance on the ODO, you have the service records and because they are confident enough to give you 12 mos warranty (that is all Yahama offers new!) then I'd say this isn't a big deal. There are many of the FZ1's that have more miles and still run great. I'd have them service the valves before you buy it though... then you're good for another 26k miles (don't know how many km's that is....) Look at the rotors, brake pads, front and rear sprocket, chain condition... fork seals...

2. I use my bike, weather permitting, for all commuting. I find it comfortable for every day use. I admit that I have a Top Saddlery seat though so it's like a sofa! It's quite nimble.... it's not a lot more weight than the FZ6 but 40+ more HP so the power to weight ratio is very impressive. It's not a wide bike so splitting is easy enough.

3. Wet riding is all about the tires. It's what you have for rubber and sipes that make the difference. Pilot Road 2 tires are very good rain tires, perhaps one of the better ones out there so I think you'll be happy with them.

The 2006 does have the worst throttle snatch of all models but it can be remedied with either Ivan's fuel cut eliminator or a re-flashed ECU. But I don't think you'll be hard on/off the throttle in the wet conditions so no worries.

The FZ1 is quite tame under the 6k RPM range and if you're commuting and staying below that, it's like a tame cruiser. Whack the throttle and get it up over the 7k range... then into the 8k and above and it's a whole new bike. She really wakes up and launches. A very wild beast...

I've had mine since 2009 and in that time, I've looked at many other bikes. I got a new one every couple years before the FZ1. Well, I've yet to find another bike, for the money, that gives me the WOW factor and makes me want to change again. The FZ1 is my personal favorite and best all-around bike.

Bad things? Just one.... the tank is too small so petrol stops are more frequent making range on tanks short! Either a bigger tank of more MPG would be valuable to me. But, I can deal with it!

Hope this helps!!

Welcome and hopefully congrats if you decide to take the 06'.

First off.....with 45,360 miles on the clock, I would hope that the sell price reflects that. These bikes, with proper maintenance, easily surpass 100K miles. What I would be weary about is if they can't provide maintenance records: Oil Changes, Valve Adjustments, Etc. It should have had at least one Valve Inspection at 26K. If it didn't, or they can't tell you, I would use it as a bargaining tool. Heck, your almost ready for the second one already, and I know that things are EXPENSIVE where you live.

Secondly: For "throttle Snatch" if it bothers you, all you need is an FCE and you'll be good to go.

Thirdly: PR2's are very good in the wet so I wouldn't worry about handling issues.

Lastly, you'll have to do your regular inspection for normal wear and tear. Fork Seals, Fluids, Brakes, Bearings, Chain and Sprockets, etc.

If the price is right and you really want it then get it. Just do your homework first cause you don't want to be sorry later.

All depends on the price,I personally would stay clear of 06/07 Fz1`s, a small amount of them had a issue with the frame cracking, so it would personally worry me to death.Yamaha came too the party on most with a new frame,but if ever needed,the bike is getting on in years and with that amount of klm`s, they may not

Last edited:
My .02, if you pretend 6k RPM is the redline, you can flog the snot out if an FZ1 with impunity. You mentioned that you found there to be a lot if power (maybe intimidating is the wrong word, but babying in the turns, you know what I mean) but I think, given the amount if experience riding you have, you'll get used to the bike awfully fast. A few thousand miles and you'll have a really good handle on what you can get away with. It really is tame low on the tach, though, but usable in the low end, not like a super sport.

I have found the bike to be a bit of a bear in the wet, but I run Metzler Sporttech M3 tires. Not sure how they stack up against the Michelins, but I find myself having to be careful with the throttle in the wet. Because of the usable bottom end, though, this isn't an impossible task; it just takes awareness.

I ride a '12, so no experience with the throttle snatch issues of earlier ECU's, so no comment there.

Commuting and in the city I find it to be a great bike. Think Bentley Continental: not as light and nimble as a Ferrari, but much more comfortable, an excellent handler all the same, and makes up for porkyness by having big power. It's that sort of effortless speed. No fuss, no edgy, temperamental power delivery, just grab the throttle in any gear and GO.

With modern build tolerances, this bike should theoretically run forever with proper maintenance. Inspect the service sheets, make sure the recommended maintenance schedule has been followed, and look for anything weird (red flag if, say, crank bearings have been serviced) and read the details of the offered warranty carefully. Also, since it has high miles, maybe try to negotiate the price down enough to get the FCE done and eliminate the throttle snatch problem? Worth a try...

I payed $8.500 for my 08 fz1s [not naked dearer]in nov 2011. 19,000klms, private deal,was a very good price then,a mate just sold a 09 FZ1s with 40,000klms for $8,000.I would have a good look around before you place a deposit on it,I know it`s hard and your keen but it`s not the only one out there

just taking a guess at it but im sure other fz riders can tell better but, are those the r1 forks and for all you know it prob already has iven FCE installed

I paid $6200 for my 08 with 2880 on it last Feb 12th. I am the 3rd owner. I now have 6k on it. Its my first "running" bike. I do not ride in the rain, but its a wonderful commuter. I am always below 5500rpm, so mine could easily last 100,000k.

If I lost this FZ1 today, I'd go buy a 2013 and put the same $1k in it of goodies owner #1 did(then traded it in at 151 miles for a GSXR1000) "youth"

just taking a guess at it but im sure other fz riders can tell better but, are those the r1 forks and for all you know it prob already has iven FCE installed

Papa, I believe that those are the stock fork units. I believe that the R1 had radially mounted brake calipers on them. I am curious though to see what the dealer can tell him about the bike, especially on the maintenance side of things.

welcome
what others said ... and I would also think about resale value , the bike is now at 70k you ride a few years then you'll have a real problem selling it, so you must sell it cheap.

I can sell any bike/car in 2 days :) it's a skill that cost me many $$$ :)

The miles isn't a big deal, I bought my 2008 new and have put on over 26,000 miles while owning four other bikes at the same time. If you commute you'll find out the FZ1 isn't exactly the best out there for gas mileage but it will do everything else just fine. If you keep it and keep it in nice shape, I'm ot so sure you can't get most of your money back when you sell. It's a matter of selling at the right time of year and to someone who wants a nice sport bike, like yourself. I also refurb and sell older bikes as a hobby and I've found that a really good and original older bike can bring some good money. You just need to know your buying audience.

Don't forget guys, he is in Oz so that price is not USD thus is a pretty good deal down under. ;)

Good luck and hope to see some pics of her with you on it soon!

I have nearly 40k on my 06 & it still looks and runs like new so I wouldnt about the miles ,, as for the throttle snatch it could (as said ) been sorted , I think you would have noticed it on the test ride !! Looks a nice bike, have fun !!!!! Welcome aboard

The Aussie market is insane to me. I got a 2009 with 5200 miles for $6k in the US.

I guess if they're brand new Fz1 OTD is $5k more expensive than in the US that is just the way it goes. Crazy.

BTW I think those are the OEM Fz1 Forks, they look just like mine.

Back