Help please 2001 yamaha FZS1000N

I attempted to do mine without putting it apart completely, but I think they were the original seals so no matter what I did I couldn’t pull it out from the top so I ended up pulling them apart and cleaning them end to end
That is the best way and what I should have done.

You bring up a point that I experience also and that is that the oil seals in these forks didn't look the same as the Yamaha oem replacements. The original seal on my forks didn't have a turtle neck on the top, just a black donut shaped rubber oil seal. Getting it out was a bit of a chore, what worked for me was a sharp boning knife poking it from the top and leveraging it out using the black plastic guard on the front of the forks as a place to lever from. I suspect that the right approach would have been to twist a small sheet metal screw into opposing sides and pull it with pliers. Less risk of damaging something doing by the book.

I'll be back into the forks to replace the metal slides in the not too distant future. Yesterday's six hour tour to Western Mass was quite nice on the new fluids. I might have a tad too much pre-load. Seals were dry.

New issue, it’s kinda inconsistent, but when I was pulling back into my driveway there was white smoke while giving it throttle, it was clean without throttle, and there was gas coming out of the air box vent hose. I’m assuming it’s the carbs but any help would be great

New issue, it’s kinda inconsistent, but when I was pulling back into my driveway there was white smoke while giving it throttle, it was clean without throttle, and there was gas coming out of the air box vent hose. I’m assuming it’s the carbs but any help would be great
Gas out of the airbox vent would likely be unrideable. Post a pic of the offending vent hose.

it was leaking when I stopped at a light, we took the bike home, fixed a different issue and then open and closed the throttle and it seemed to fix the issue, then about 30 minutes later after washing the bike and riding around on some back roads it started acting up it cut out a couple times and after I limped it home it would barely run/start, its ok at idle, but when revving the engine anything past about 2500rpm it smokes something horrible, I was thinking it was a head gasket or something but the fuel coming out of the line happened at the same time this was also after I had filled the tank with new gas about an hour before, it was running perfect before I filled it with gas but after it started getting pissy, i also have a screwy exup valve but I doubt that would effect it as it has run fine until today when I fueled it up

Attachments

• IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
That is most likely a airbox drain for water intrusion. You either got a carb issue or a fuel feed issue. Personally id inspect the fuel feed issue first. Lever up the fuel tank and have a look at the petcock as well.

There was nothing visually wrong with under the fuel tank what should I look for or check specifically
Fuel leaking, or stains left from fuel leaking. Look at all the fuel lines, going from the tank to the pump, filter and to the carbs. Check all the fuel clamps to make sure they are fairly tight. Run your finger under all the fuel lines and flex them around, it wont take much force to find a leak. Pictures help a ton. Is your air filter soaked with fuel?

I had a similar issue with my sons quad, the carb overflow line was leaking. I had a local mechanic who works out of his garage rebuild the carb for me and the leaking stopped.

White smoke from the tailpipe means you have water/coolant getting into the chamber... probably a leaking head gasket.

White smoke does sometimes mean head gasket, but I don't remember anyone ever having an issue with a head gasket on a Gen 1. So I think that's slim possibility and wasn't present earlier unless you also had an overheating event

When carbs leak due to the float sticking it typically comes out the four small diameter hoses that terminate on the lower right side of the bike, as Bunk said if fuel was coming out the airbox drain it wouldn't likely be running. I don't see your four small diameter hoses in the picture of the bike's right side.

I'm wondering if washing the bike was the culprit to poor running. How many cylinders are warm to the touch? Thermal camera is better tool. Did something between the coils and spark plugs get wet? Check that all four are firing. Take the airbox lid off and see what's wet with what.

You said " it was leaking when I stopped at a light" on which side of the bike was it leaking and are you sure it was gas?

I bring this up because you just refueled. There is a breather on the fuel cap that can get clogged, if you open the cover do you hear a vacuum being released. Maybe run the motor with the cover open to rule out vapor lock. Running from a remote fuel source would tell you it wasn't bad gas.

I also doubt it was coolant and was leaning towards it being fuel, it was definitely gas coming out when I had stopped at the light, I was with some friends and being a doofus revved the bike and it let out some smoke and when I looked down it was a shit ton of gas coming from the house just beside the front sprocket cover, we pulled over and it was definitely gas, I limped it home and after a little bit of the bike running it seemed to solve the issue after washing it it was good for a good 15 minutes and then on a back road it died, very possible it was some sort of electronic issue as the dash died and the engine cut out but as I was moving letting the clutch out it started again but didn’t wanna rev until I gave it consistent amounts of small throttle then I was able to get the rpm back, when I got it back to my house again it was puffing the white smoke but it only when revving or cranking at idle there was no smoke, I’ll try It tomorrow as if it was a issue of water it should have dried out by now, I’ll give it a shot tomorrow, I think the hoses your talking about are hidden by the plastic sproket cover as I kinda went down the list of hoses as the bike was missing a few, also I don’t think it ever overheated, I was just cruising down back roads and none of the lights on the dash came on so fingers crossed

Have you tried running Carb/Injector cleaning additives in your fuel to see if that fixes the leaking carbs?
That aint gonna fix a needle/seat. Or a overfull tank. Honestly ive never had any luck with any fuel cleaner in any application. Other than atf in my 12v's fuel tank, but thats a different story alltogether.

In college I had a tangerine colored VW super beetle convertible.

One day right after filling the tank it started running like crap. Did everything I could think of before taking it to a garage that specialized in VWs.
Got a call from the owner asking me to drop in so he could show me the problem.
He took about 8 oz of gas from the tank into a bucket and put it on the floor under the car which was on a lift. He then took out a book a matches and started lighting them and throwing them at the bucket. I was horrified and was waiting for the big whoosh. The "gas" put out every match. Bad gas.

Don't try this diagnostic trick while sitting on your bike.

Bike was running ok till you filled tank and washed the bike.

I
In college I had a tangerine colored VW super beetle convertible.

One day right after filling the tank it started running like crap. Did everything I could think of before taking it to a garage that specialized in VWs.
Got a call from the owner asking me to drop in so he could show me the problem.
He took about 8 oz of gas from the tank into a bucket and put it on the floor under the car which was on a lift. He then took out a book a matches and started lighting them and throwing them at the bucket. I was horrified and was waiting for the big whoosh. The "gas" put out every match. Bad gas.

Don't try this diagnostic trick while sitting on your bike.

Bike was running ok till you filled tank and washed the bike.
yeah it was running quite well until I filled it

Back