Gen III FZ1

The money I have spent trying to turn an FZ1 into an R1 is just insane. Buy an R1 and do a flat bar conversion. If you need more comfort go for a GSXR.
As much as I love my Fazer; If I had to do it all again, I'd convert a GSXR 1000. (Create your own wheelie happy loony tunes bike)

:+1: thats why i have just sold the FZ1 and looking for a R1 or ZX10 streetfighter project. Hindsight is a wonderful thing?

wow, that's a stupid move .. why not, since they HAVE it ?
(retorical question)

I'm with you! I know they (Yamaha) wanted to keep the cost of the FZ1 down, but at least offer the ABS as an option. I'm sure plenty of buyers would have spent an extra $500 for the safety of ABS...

I'm with you! I know they (Yamaha) wanted to keep the cost of the FZ1 down, but at least offer the ABS as an option. I'm sure plenty of buyers would have spent an extra $500 for the safety of ABS...

My 990 is the first and only bike that I have had with ABS. I was never a big fan of this on motorcycles (still not for off road), but it really does work. I was out on the weekend tuning up my low speed and emergency maneuvers and I put it to the test in an empty parking lot. At least in that situation it works.It adds weight, cost and complexity to the bike, just look at the Yamaha Super Tenere' to see this. I still am not sure how to properly bleed the brakes through the pump and extra lines.

I agree with having it as an option. I would still choose to not have it.

Yamaha sold the FZ6 and FZ1 with (the same) ABS system since 2007 here (Yurop) and I would say at least a third of the FZ:s i see for sale have ABS, so you'd think they get their R&D money back.

I've had the "pleasure" of having ABS when I needed it in a handfull of occasions, and I can say that I'll never buy a bike without ABS again.

I wonder though how the ABS system on the FZ:s is when you try it under lean. I guess, since it's one of the first systems on the market, it won't be very good.

So .. now we're in 2014. Several new bikes have hit the market . The MT-07, MT-09 - both with snowmobile engines. Does this mean that there won't be a new FZ1 ?
I've seen rumors about the 2015 R1, so Yamaha is not abandoning the crossplane philosophy. They don't have anything sport-touringy between the MT09 and the R1 - there's a BIG gap in the segment, which they need to fill. Yes, they could continue to sell the ridiculously outdated Gen II FZ1 (which by the way still can compete with the rest of the supernakeds, but this year Kawasaki has done a marvellous job with the Z1000SX, the design is fresh, the power is good, the fuel consumption is way better than the FZ1, the bags you can have as an option are perfect and you don't need an ugly Givi rack. You get modern ABS and TC, and a cool chain adjuster, gear indicator, big tank and more torque.

So .. With this in mind, what do you guys think, will they develop a new FZ1 for 2015, or are they focusing their development efforts completely on the R1 ?

I think we may see a 1/4 faired version of the FZ(MT)-09. I'd like to see a new FZ1 with cross-plane engine, but I'm not sure we will. I just rode a BMW S1000R (single R naked) and it was so amazing. I don't think Yamaha could match it, but they could beat the Z1000/Ninja 1000 without too much trouble. I've heard BMW is making a sport/adventure tourer out of the S1000R called the S1000F next year. It should have a windshield and luggage. That would be amazing.

I sat on the Tuono and RSV4 back to back. Didn't notice but maybe an inch difference in handlebar/grip height. Wasn't impressed. Still waiting to sit on an S1000R

I think we may see a 1/4 faired version of the FZ(MT)-09. I'd like to see a new FZ1 with cross-plane engine, but I'm not sure we will. I just rode a BMW S1000R (single R naked) and it was so amazing. I don't think Yamaha could match it, but they could beat the Z1000/Ninja 1000 without too much trouble. I've heard BMW is making a sport/adventure tourer out of the S1000R called the S1000F next year. It should have a windshield and luggage. That would be amazing.
http://blog.motorzon.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BMW-S1000F-Adventure-bike-confirmed.jpg
looks like a multistrada only much uglier. Probably much more fun too. I''ll probably buy that Frankenstein regardless of how ugly it is if yamaha doesn't bring something more than the mt09 to the table

Sent from my X-Wing

I sat on the Tuono and RSV4 back to back. Didn't notice but maybe an inch difference in handlebar/grip height. Wasn't impressed. Still waiting to sit on an S1000R
The riding position on the S1000R could not be more perfect for me. Unfortunately I find the design hard to digest. all those plastic parts on the sides, that huge radiator ..

Sent from my X-Wing

Back