Gen II Radiator Mod

04-06 R1 radiator works. Can't transfer fans though so make sure to get the rad with fans.
Few things on install, if you go this route.
1. Fans run opposite wiring to the FZ so just swap them around or they stay on
2. Hoses fit but need a turn, pull and push here and there. I've been running my hoses for 50,000+km and no probs.
3. the lower locating bolt will need some creative extension plate. Nothing complicated. Can actually turn the stock part around and tweek it to work with washers if necessary.
6144526508_c374e9e61a_z.jpg

My FZ1 rad. is partially clogged, and given that I'm in the middle-of-nowhere Virginia, it would cost aprox the same amount to have my current one serviced, as to simply replace it. Swapping to the R1 rad. is appealing for me because there are aftermarket options for the R1 and not the FZ1. They also have some design advantages over the FZ1 rad.

However you do it I would recommend using a radiator shield which will keep it cleaner and less prone to damage from flying rocks or road debris. I find the stock protection to be minimal, at best. The radiator fins are just too prone to damage, and buildup of insect innards which will clog the fins eventually, and it just looks crappy. One vendor advertises on this site and offers good powder coated guards, but if you go for an R1 radiator you'll have to get a guard somewhere else.

04-06 R1 radiator works. Can't transfer fans though so make sure to get the rad with fans.
Few things on install, if you go this route.
1. Fans run opposite wiring to the FZ so just swap them around or they stay on
2. Hoses fit but need a turn, pull and push here and there. I've been running my hoses for 50,000+km and no probs.
3. the lower locating bolt will need some creative extension plate. Nothing complicated. Can actually turn the stock part around and tweek it to work with washers if necessary.
6144526508_c374e9e61a_z.jpg

I have done some research, and the fans used on the 06' FZ1 rad. system are the same OEM parts as the 04' R1 rad. I was just wondering why you said they would not swap over? Also, when you say opposite wiring, are you referring to harness side, or connector side. I.E- the stock harness plugs into the opposite fan, or the wiring from the fan must be cut and reversed?

Did the R1 swap, works perfectly. Fixed the problems with the bike running hot, and overheating.

I managed to find a 04 R1 rad. with fans off a bike with about 1000 miles on it for $150.
I did have to re-wire the fans, not to switch the wiring around, but to extend the connector wires. I also had to put a 20A fuse in to replace the stock 10A, for both fans. And I also had to bend and adjust the lower mount as you suggested. All-in-all it has worked out beautifully.

Thank you very much for your very helpful suggestions.

Back