Gen II Clutch Cable Wearing on Radiator Fan

Ok, I searched the forum and found no other posts about this issue, but I cannot believe that no one else would be having the same problem. My bike has around 18k miles on it and I have noticed that the clutch cable is getting worn completely through from the radiator fan as it runs. I had noticed an unusual sound every once in a while from the fan, but never realized it was chewing through my clutch cable until I was changing out my plugs and noticed the damage.

The issue is the placement of the clutch cable as it runs from the handlebars below the frame. There appears to be about 1 cm of clearance between the cable and the fan and when the handlebars are turned one way or the other the slack in the cable allows it to hang loose and rub against the outer edge of the fan. I have ordered a new cable, but have yet to find a better place to route the cable to prevent this problem from occurring again.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you have a better place to put this cable?

I have included pictures to illustrate the placement of the cable and the problem. The second pic shows a closeup of the damaged clutch cable.

3 options. Move the cable to the side and zip tie it, move radiator slightly lower by messing with the radiator brackets, or take a file and make a perfect little grove for the cable to rest in there is no coolant there, its kind of like a pinch weld on a car.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I guess I have to get pushy around here, eh? Appreciate it.

I am still awaiting a new clutch cable but I think I have found a new place to route it nearer to the middle of the radiator. I just need to see if I have the cable length to pull it off.

cable adjustment

So its been a while since my last post, but I finally got around to greasing my knuckles today. I swapped out the worn cable with a new OEM cable. I expected to have some trouble adjusting the cable correctly and boy was I right.

Last edited:
Have the same issue. Mine rubs so hard the fan doesn't spin and then blows the fuse (better than burning out the fan I guess). I ordered a new cable from motion pro and asked them to make it a couple inches longer. How did you end up with yours?

Thx

Tim

Last edited:
Back