Gen 2 rims

I am thinking of changing the color of my rims. Does anyone know if our rims are anodized/ powder coated or painted? And just in case the color matters I have a granite Greg/black with "army green" rims. Thanks for any input.

I believe that the wheels are painted, even from the factory. I am not positive about this, so somebody please chime in to confirm or correct this information.

Incidentally, I ABSOLUTELY HATE THAT 2009 WHEEL COLOR. To me, it is a horrible greenish / gold that looks like baby puke; or maybe they ground up a bunch of those camelion lizards to arrive at the color. It is not a true gold; it is not a true platinum; not silver; not metallic; like you said - it is a light shade of Army olive drab. It may go OK with the grey body parts, but with the cobalt blue - it makes me nauseous.

They are powder coated aluminum wheels. Anodize will have a distinct look where powder coat looks more like paint. Anodizing is a chemical process wherein the color chemically bonds to the metal. This is very strong, light and an extremely thin layer, which makes it a very good finish, but can be expensive. I am batting around the idea to paint my wheels this winter... have been for some time. As much as many people say it needs to be stripped and sand blasted, powder coat is a fantastic base coat. therefore, my process for doing it (if I do end up) will be to sand them decently, scuff them with a scrub pad, then clean them and shoot them with a nice enamel. I use Rust-o-leum Flat black engine enamel for just about all of my painting.

Plasti-dip is a way to go, but I have no experience with the longevity on a high impact place such as wheels so that' about all I can speak to it.

I am thinking of changing the color of my rims. Does anyone know if our rims are anodized/ powder coated or painted? And just in case the color matters I have a granite Greg/black with "army green" rims. Thanks for any input.

I agree !! I have an 09 and i hate the colour. I tried to strip the paint last year on the rear rim and the paint is on there good . I gave up and just painted over it ( ran out of time) . I believe to remove original paint you need to sandblast or airplane paint stripper which im going to use this winter .
GOOD LUCK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wheels are factory powder coated, not anodized.
Anodizing cast aluminum tends to produce un-even shades of color.
If ever you need to strip anodizing off aluminum, Easy-off oven cleaner is your friend.

Thanks for the help guys. I liked the the army green when I bought it. But now that I've had it for a while. Absolutely everything (sprocket,chain,wheel striping handlebars, brake lines) looks stupid as hell with it.

Back