Gen 1 to Gen 2

Thinking about getting a stock gen 2 year 2013 ..I have a gen 1 and like the power...will i be disapointed with the stock gen 2 fz..i have read that it needs mods to release the power.....or should i buy a gen 2 with mods..
Thanks

Generally speaking, the differences between the two generations are as such:

Gen 1:
- More relaxed ergonomics, more comfortable as a long distance bike
- 40-50 MPG
- Larger fuel tank
- Motor has stronger low & mid range torque

Gen 2:
- Lighter
- Better suspension
- Motor has 10 peak hp more and a more sportbike-like character
- More aggressive ergonomics
- Very receptive to modifications with a huge amount of tweaks and changes

I liken it to a gen 1 being classed as a 'sport tourer' and the gen 2 being classed as a 'sport tourer'. If you get my drift.

I had an 02 and now have an 08. I've done a lot more to my 08. I like my 08 far more than my 02 in every aspect.

Well said Dustin. Having owned both generation bikes I will say that even despite the drawback of the tank size and fewer MPG's, I would not go back to a First Gen bike. Just having way too much fun on the GenII, and I don't even have it flashed! Imagine!

Well said Dustin. Having owned both generation bikes I will say that even despite the drawback of the tank size and fewer MPG's, I would not go back to a First Gen bike. Just having way too much fun on the GenII, and I don't even have it flashed! Imagine!

When did you get another fizzer? I thought you were still riding that older FZR you restored.

Very little has changed over the years with the GenII. As a result it makes little sense to buy a new(ish) one. In stock form the GenII is also far from what it really can be. I would suggest looking for a used one either stock (for the right price) or one with the proper mods already done. Ideally, ecu flashed, full exhaust, upgraded rear suspension, seat uprgraded etc.

Back