Fz6r

Etroze

Say I have a friend that I got into looking at Yamaha. We went into the dealer and you shouldve seen her eyes light up when she saw the new FZ6R it was the coolest thing ive ever seen. Do you guys know if this is going to replace the FZ6 completely and idk if anyone here has ridden one but it feel really underpowered for being a 600. Trying to find her a great first bike that she won't want to get rid of after she gets her legs a bit more.

Say I have a friend that I got into looking at Yamaha. We went into the dealer and you shouldve seen her eyes light up when she saw the new FZ6R it was the coolest thing ive ever seen. Do you guys know if this is going to replace the FZ6 completely and idk if anyone here has ridden one but it feel really underpowered for being a 600. Trying to find her a great first bike that she won't want to get rid of after she gets her legs a bit more.

Well, when NJFZ1 and I were down at the AMA races a couple of weeks back, we actually spoke to a Rep for Yamaha about that particular bike. My 15 year old son was with us and he feel in love with it too. We found out however that the fully faired version "R" has less power than the FZ6. I don't remember the reason, maybe Tony remembers or my son, but he didn't care. He would have road out on that bike in a second. It fit him perfectly too. Heres a shot of him sitting on it down at the races. Pretty cool looking bike.
IMG_0185.jpg

I think it would make a great bike for her. It's something that she can become proficient on, and sporty looking should help with resale if later on she decides to move up. She should ultimately test ride the bike first.

For 2010, the FZ6R replaces the FZ6 completely in the U.S. only. Outside of the U.S. the FZ6 will still be available.

My wife has the FZ6R and LOVES it. She came from a V Star cruiser and wonders WHY she ever got on anything else.

It is a great starter bike and capable of doing a lot. She and I just returned from a 1630 mile trip on the bikes from NH to MI and back. She had zero issues with the ride.

Has your friend ridden? What has she ridden for bikes (if so) ? How tall is she and can she flatfoot the FZ6R? One thing about that bike is the seat is height adjustable to two positions. My wife has a 30" inseam and with the seat as low as I can get it, she's still not flatfooting the bike so I am getting her a shorter rear spring and dropping the triples on the forks over the winter. :D That and a Spencer seat mod and she should be 100% comfortable with the height.

As for the power, it is a detuned FZ6. They dropped it from 92 hp to 78 hp but they smoothed it out with both throttle response as well as shifting. Unless she is a total power rider, it should be enough bike for her. My wife is getting good enough to start keeping up with me in the corners if I'm not pushing it too hard. I'm very impressed with both her bike and how well she's progressed with her skills since buying it in June!

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thanks guys she actually went and bought it. Its one of the few sport bikes she felt comfortalble on and could flat foot. Plus she pretty much said she couldn't go without it lol. She has ridden a few buells and kawis and she almost got a 250 ninja but i kinda talked her out of it cause 20hp is just no fun unless you know how to flick the bike. I got her hooked up on here and the FZ6R site so between the two she can have a wealth of info. Thanks again:tup:

so--Eric....you mentioned about trying to transplant the fz6 engine to the \"R\" -- followed up on that??

Yes! I have a query in with a guy who is parting out a wreck FZ6. Waiting for pics of the mount points to see if there's any damage. There's a bunch of scratches on the covers but no holes of leaks known yet. Best part is, he's close enough for me to drive down and pic it up!

Could be the sleeper of the century... especially if I replace the intake and cam to un-detune the FZ6 into the R6 motor. :D I'd need an R6 ECU though, wouldn't I?

For 2010, the FZ6R replaces the FZ6 completely in the U.S. only. Outside of the U.S. the FZ6 will still be available.

In Canada Yamaha has dropped the FZ6 in favour of the FZ6R as well, a shame as I think, flashy fairing aside,the FZ6 is the better bike in every way. Just look at the bargain swing arm and suspension components on the FZ6R.:cry:

Last edited:
No doubt; the FZ6 was a better bike in every way, but unfortunately, at least in North America, you can't hardly give away a naked bike. Only hypersports, or those that look like them, and cruisers.

When we found out the FZ6 was going away here, my brother bought a new one immediately (last week.) It's basically an R6's naked brother, whereas the FZ6R is more like a bargain, lower-spec bike like a Ninja 650 or such.

Awesome bike for beginners and such, but not for an experienced rider who just wants a naked sport bike.

:ditto: Couldn't agree more with you. It's a shame that the naked bikes don't sell well here. We end up missing out on some great bikes.

In Canada Yamaha has dropped the FZ6 in favour of the FZ6R as well, a shame as I think, flashy fairing aside,the FZ6 is the better bike in every way. Just look at the bargain swing arm and suspension components on the FZ6R.:cry:

I whole-heartedly agree. And thanks for the Canadian POV!

The FZ6R has a tube frame, not the artistic aluminum frame, further de-tuned engine, redesigned sub frame and seating, smaller rear tire, smaller chain and sprocket set, back to the box swingarm and fairings. It isn't and should even share the FZ name as it is that much redesigned. It should have been the RZ6 instead of the FZ6R.

Since we are discussing naked bikes that we will be missing i really really wanna take a spin on Europe's new CB 1000 it looks like it would be a fun bike here in the states

That'd be me!

Hey everyone!
Etroze was talking about me :p I absolutely love my bike!!
well, I got a chance to drive E's bike and there was a huge power difference!
My bike felt like a baby compared to his Fz1
I was like.."oooooh" But that's okay for a first bike it's perfect for me. I'm so glad E talked me into the FZ6R instead of the Ninja250.

Thanks all!

There is a lot of aftermarket interest in this new Yamaha model right now.

Leo Vince and Two Brothers have full exhaust replacements out for the bike.

Roaring Toyz now has a lowering link that goes on TOP of the shock to drop the rear 1.75" (This is to cater to a lot of people who find the lowest seat setting is still too high) and you can drop the triples on the tubes to level the bike. They made a shorter billet kickstand to accomodate this lowering as well.

One of the sister-site's members sent their bike to Corbin for R&D and netted a seat but they had her bike for 7 weeks! :eek: What is interesting is they created a banana seat for the bike and NOT the two-piece seat like the bike came with.

Innovation and T-Rex Racing both have developed no-cut sliders for the FZ6R where Innovation is $109.00 and T-Rex is $39.00 :D

Racetech has developed a suspension package for the FZ6R already. Gold Valve Emulators and HP fork springs for the front and Gold Valve Conversion Kit and HP Shock Spring for the rear. See the feed here: http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/FZR6_project.html

Three companies now make an FE Kit.

For my wife's bike, I will be picking up the lowering link and dropping the bike for her as she cannot flatfoot it now. She hasn't had a problem yet but I'd rather she was more stable at a stop. I also bought her the T-Rex no-cut sliders. I'm going to try and convince her to get one of the FE kits and I would really like to see the LV exhaust on the bike but she's not keen on modding the bike if it's not "functional" in her eyes. ;)

That's the FZ6R Update from the husband of an owner! :D

Keep them coming i think its an interesting bike and love to see what people are going to do with it. plus i think it could be like one of the best sleepers out there if someone plays around with it and drops the R6 engine in there :)
thanks for the up date

Same in Europe. but it looks nice. We use this model as the naked version (XJ6) as the learning bikes at our motorcycle school

Back