fz1 right bike?

returnrider

I have not ridden for about 10 years but grew up on dirt bikes then graduated to street bikes. I rode for about ten years, got married and the ex said get rid of it, too dangerous. Well she is gone and I am about to get a new bike. I have done alot of research on bikes out there now and have decided on the fz1. My big question is do you fz1 guys think this would be too much bike for an experienced rider, who is a little rusty after being away for the last ten years.

firstly welcome to the site , i think the FZ1 is a great bike for you . you did mention your a exprienced rider returning , so ease back into the feel of things & you will find the FZ1 a great choice . as Yamaha says FZ1 =
"Iron Fist In A Velvet Glove" .. :)

I had wondered the same thing. I was going back and forth between the FZ1 or FZ6. I got the FZ1 and I haven't regretted it. I got comfortable with the extra power a lot faster than I thought. Plus it handles great. Now my old bike feels like a little scooter when I get on it. Enjoy it, but just give yourself time to safely get used to it.

Thanks guys!

Well thats it, you guys just sealed the deal. Thanks for all the input, I will let you all know how much I love the bike in a couple of weeks!

damn near same story, had a GPz 550 had to sell it....:(
started riding in the dirt about 2+ years ago, have a 250 4 stroke bike of another color........:eek:. But i could see running into a power problem. or lack there of.
I looked in to the FZ-6 but i would have run out of power and adjusted to the bike too fast, then be kicking myself for not getting the FZ-1 to begin with.
she is a fast and fun bike. get off her long enough to listen to all the compliments..:cool:

Please take the time and money to do a rider training day at the very least ,it may save your life:eek:, these bikess are a big jump up , most people never learn to ride a big bike to its potenial, if you start big it is very easy to scare yourself, these are not toys or the bike to buy because they look good, they go Very fast stop well and handle ok (not much ground clearance though) my advice is to try both the 600 and the 1 you can always trade up in 6 months when you gain confidence the corners can come up rear fast on a big bike and if you don't have the skills. see if your local shop or motorcycle club can recomend some advance rider training so you can truly enjoy your machine and stay alive good luck (they are both cool bikes):D

^^
good tip's ;) , but "Returnrider" did mention he had 10yrs exprience . i guess if he takes it easy going @ first & doesnt exceed his limits etc , the FZ1 should be o.k.

p.s. Advanced rider training course should be seriously considered ..

New rider on FZ1

I bought my FZ1 last month without ever haveing owned a streetbike before. I did ride dirt bikes a lot in my youth and up into my 20's. I am now 45 and decided on the FZ1 because I wanted performance and the fact that I am a big guy 6'1' and 260#. I am takeing it slow but love my FZ1. I have messed with the suspension settings and think I have them set good for my size. I am only at 600 mile so haven't really had the tach past 6500rpm's. I know the sweet spot is between 7 & 8000. The bike can be scary fast at times but like I said I am takeing it easy. The wind on the freeway kind of freaks me out a little(sensory overload ) but have gotten a little used to it. My GMAX helmet also lets a lot of wind noise in might change that.
I did take a MSF rider course before I got my liscense and think that has helped a lot as far as safety goes.(not rideing in peoples blind spots, slowing down at intersections covering brakes etc,etc.).
This bike has the power to get away from cars at red lights wich I like. I think it can be a good first bike if you take it slow and don't push it. Also a MSF course is also a very good idea.

riding course

in oregon we have to pass a written and riding test at dmv before getting a motorcycle endorsement. since it has been awhile i do plan on taking a riding class thru a local club to brush up on my skills, thanks for all the help and support guys.

Back