FZ1 For A Bigger Guy

I have always owned sport bikes for years. Mostly R1's through the years, but some others here and there. Although for the last few years I have not had one due to kids, life, etc. I have found a 2009 FZ1 that I like and it is time to get another bike. However I am now a lot larger than I once was. I am approx. 340lbs. and about 6ft. I am wondering if the FZ1 will support that weight OK and if it will be comfortable enough to ride. I am not a cruiser guy at all and too old for crotch rockets so I am hoping the FZ1 will be just right. I would like to know your opinions especially from anyone that is bigger like I am. Thanks a lot for your input!

Welcome to the site! Other than changing spring rates to match your weight and possibly going with a custom seat, you should be happy with the FZ1. It's a very good all-rounder with plenty of giddy-up and it's extremely easy to customise it to suit your needs

With suspension work it could work well for you.

I rode two up with my wife for a 350 mile trip (me 175lbs, her 155lbs) and because of stock suspension it killed my back.

Really any bike should have suspension work done for the rider immediately, it makes WORLDS of difference.

FZ1 is very similar to a full on sport bike. I liked my FZ1, but I am more comfortable on a sport bike. I am used to the position of a sport bike instead of upright.

I rode my R6 when I was 300lbs but never any distance and always did ok, but with stock suspension I never could have done the 800+ mile weekends I did on it when I was 175lbs

you absolutely need any suspension done for your weight, on any bike, whatever it is you buy. then look to Motorcycle Seats - Apex Stitching and tell him you need a seat for a big guy, he makes em super comfortable for very low prices, usually half what the "big name" seats cost and they look cooler and are more comfortable.

after that, its smooth sailing. i'd recommend braided ss brake lines and ebc hh pads as well cuz, well you'll need it.

I'm 6'3 and the same weight as you. My Fz1 tows my hugeness around just fine. :) I also rode a Cbr1000rr and a cbr600rr before I bought, and liked them too actually but the fz1 is way more comfortable. Take a test ride if you can, but I love mine and am a very similar case. :)

I'm 5'11" and hovering just under 300# (most likely over with full gear). I've cranked up the preload on the rear and toyed with the front to get it balanced. It's ok. I still want to do suspension and have been meaning to for 3 years, but life keeps getting in the way. I'm sure I'd love it more with suspension done right, but I love it the way it is for now. It works. It never bottoms out and is comfortable with a Corbin or Top Sellerie seat (in LONG length).

I'm sure you will be happy with the FZ1. It's no super sport, but it's comfortable! Plenty for me. Have fun and post pictures!

If I was buying new and could afford it, I'd get the BMW S1000R naked and I'd consider the Ninja 1000 (or Z1000 if that look floats your boat). The Aprilia Tuono would be awesome if there was a dealer close.

Back