Front Rotors?

I apologize if I offended any of you with my posting. But I am a safety manager and I think about all the reasons people die, or get hurt when they compromise on brakes. Do what you want with your bike. I personally can wait till the day I have to replace my rotors. But I will be buying new ones..thats my take on it.

Here's my take on this. I upgraded my Fz1 forks to used R1 forks, rotors and calipers. The rotors and calipers I purchased off ebay. The ebay ad said they were off a 2011 R1 with 3,000 miles. Yea right I thought. So I zoomed the pictures and could the brake pad thickness was that of a low mileage bike and I could still the the machining marks on the both rotors so I purchased the rotors and calipers for around $225. I later purchased the master cylinder off the same R1 for $100. When I received the parts I closely inspected them and found them to be lightly used and in excellent condition. I've since ridden the bike hard in the Colorado canyons and used the brakes extremely hard without any problems including many times using them to see how fast I could stop the bike from around 135. Personally I think the setup I'm using is a big improvement over the the FZ1 OEM brakes. By the way I sold my used FZ1 brake parts on ebay.

All I'm saying is you have to be careful and really know what to look for when buying used parts so that you don't get into trouble, hurt or killed.

On the other hand I'm getting really to change out my head bearings and plan on installing a new Allballs bearing set.

Anyone up for a safety meeting? :thewave:

RE:

I have the same fork conversion. Although I used the FZ Master Cylinder instead of the R1 since I didn't like the way it just floated there. I also reused the FZ brakes. My only issue was finding a fender that would fit. I had to custom make the brackets..

My 2 cents...

I would not compromice on brakes. There is no guaranty used rotors are any better, unless sellar has better terms. Frist of all I would make sure Rotors are truly warped.
I would put a screw driver on the fork to support and spin the wheel, that should give an Idea.

like some one said above it will pulsate when you brake if it is slightly warped. I would make sure wheel balanced currectly. missing weight can cause vibration some time.

check this link they have good price for OEM parts.. 2005 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1T) Front Brake Caliper | Babbitts Yamaha Parts House

Good luck
-cn

I just picked up on this post after several other members suggested a few possible remedies. After reading the original complaint, I wasn't sure what the poster meant by vibrating? I've had front brakes that pulsed at the brake lever and the actual braking pulsed, meaning it wasn't a smooth regression in speed but felt like being held and let go quickly at the same frequency as the lever was pulsing. That's a sure sign the rotors are in fact warped. It is also possible to get the hight frequency feelig of being held and let go, but no pulsing at the brake lever that may mean that the rotors have glased or some crud has accumulated on the rotors. If a runnout test identifies the situation as warped, then more than likely they will have to be replaced, if it's a glazing or crud build-up, then cleaning or using an abrasive to remove the glaze may cure the problem. I had a 2006 VRSCD that started to have front brake problems just llike I mentioned first at about 4000 miles. They were replaced four times at aproximately 3000 mile intervals. The dealer never did give me an exact reason for the issue but I traded the bike after the fourth pair were put on. I suggested that perhaps the wheel had been machined incorrctly where the disks bolted to the wheel but never did get an answer. The front end was so bad I wasn't going to take a chance and get killed. It can be true that bad neck bearings can cause some strange front braking too so there is never a one cure-all for the various issues. A complete and thorough examination has to be done. Mileage or lack of, may also not be a factor in some cases.

Back