Front pads rattling in calipers

My front pads are rattling and clonking in the calipers on my '12 Gen2 FZ1N. I've only done 2100 miles and the bike is under warranty. Has anyone else experienced this problem before? The brakes work as they should, and only clonk when going over bumps and not being applied. :smokin2:

Mine did that, exactly as you described. Rattled considerably. There was about 0.008" of clearance at each end of the pads. I fixed mine by carefully cutting some shim stock that fits behind the pads and wraps around the ends to take up the clearance. It worked beautifully, but the job was extremely tedious, so I don't recommend it.

My concern was that new pads might be the same length and do the same thing. I never measured new ones, so I don't know whether my pads are short, or my calipers too large where they hold the ends of the pad. Guess I'll find out next time I replace the pads.

As Missy said it's a common occurrence with these brakes and really more of an annoyance than anything else.

Let us know what the dealer says (or does) about the issue if you decide to bring the bike in.

Back