Front Fork Re-valving

Anyone here get their front forks reworked/revalved?

I would like to keep my stock forks but wanted to get them re- valved with some after market gear, like Racetech etc.

The springs are ok for my weight so I won't need to change them.

If you have had them re-valved, were you happy with their performance?

Ball old mate, I to am looking at the front end. I however being a fat bugger need springs as well. By the time I buy gold valves and new springs and the time to fit properly the AK 20 cartridge that comes valved and sprung with a bottle of oil no less and is a quicker install looks the way to go from the reviews on here.

Ball old mate, I to am looking at the front end. I however being a fat bugger need springs as well. By the time I buy gold valves and new springs and the time to fit properly the AK 20 cartridge that comes valved and sprung with a bottle of oil no less and is a quicker install looks the way to go from the reviews on here.

While I would love to just install the AK-20's, with shipping they will cost at least $1250 USD and then another $200? to install.

The re-vavling is a third of that cost.

I've got the fork re-valved plus the rear shock tuned here in Italy one year ago. I went to this guys in Milano:

Oram snc - Sospensioni

I didn't know what I exactly needed at that time, I was looking for new valves, new springs and the whole rear shock. If you buy the whole kit from Ohlins the price is crazy. So I had a chat with the workshop's owner to clarify my mind. He suggested that I didn't replace everything, the standard stuff is not that bad if you have them remoulded by qualified people, and until you don't go on track very often. He persuaded me, so I followed his advice. They replaced front springs (Ohlins), front valves (their manufacture), and got the OEM shock checked and tuned up. It costed 500,00 € (650,00 AU$). I've been very, very happy, I spent a reasonable price and I've got totally different suspensions, far better than before. Of course they could be better, but not for that money. And since I don't ride on a track very often (actually I never ride on a track), I guess this is the best compromise, and I haven't had any occasion to complain.

[BTW, I know for sure Oram can do the same to anybody who ship them the stuff (a lot of people in Italy do it, it takes no more than one week + transport time, usually), but you have to consider the outward and back shipment cost. And then if you have something to complain, it's a long way from Australia to Milan...]

I have now installed R1 forks with the radial mounted brakes on my FZ1 but i had the stock forks re-valved with Racetech. It performed better than stock especially rebound but still lacked the adjustment that the R1 fork set-up has. I recommend going for a R1 front-end with the bonus radial mounted brakes, IMO this is the way to go on the FZ1, the R1 front-end can be had cheap on fleebay.

Was wondering what year r1 front end fits what.I have an 09 fz1 can I put on any year? What year front ends are the better ones?

04-06 have 20mm internal cartridge, 07-08 24mm. 04-06 has 4-pot calipers, 07-08 6 pot-calipers. To be honest there isn't alot of difference between them in performance 04-08. Also i am pretty sure 09-11 big bang forks will fit aswell. If you go for 07-08 forks you will need the rotors or you will require spacers, 04-05 fits no probs.

Last edited:
Back