Former Fz6 rider, looking at getting Fz1, advice/help????

Well guys,

I threw down a deposit on a '09 Fz1 Granite Gray with 5200 miles. The bike looks super clean, and I guess they did a safety inspection and replaced fluids. Also, they had put on new tires. The only down side is the bike is in Wisconsin and will take 2-4 weeks to get to me. Needless to say I'm a little excited, a little scared, and feel like I need to be a whole lot more responsible, although I was trying to be responsible before.

Just a question, has anybody bothered to paint the gold wheels to a powder black? I really liked the black rims on Fz6 and am thinking about doing it when I take the wheels off for new tires in a few thousands mile.

FZ1 - more comfortable. Lower-end power. Weight means less corrections. Get the suspension tuned to your body. Don't worry, but control yourself. Any bike you ride will fall in a corner in gravel so watch out. It only takes a few square inches of sand to screw up a good ride.

Fz1 was my first bike and I'm 5/9 170 and I flop it around a track or the twisties just fine. And the Gen 2's are even more flickable.

It does take more to stop and turn, so planning ahead is a good idea but using the throttle to do it works well too. The bike can dodge and weave way more than you think.

You will love it!

Oh, and welcome to the dark side! :tup:

I LOL'd at that. I was just thinking about it that what attracted me to the bike is that it just has that extra edge to it.

My Fz6, i called her darkness. Now I think I will be getting a blacked out windshield, pipe and painting the rims black for sure on the Fz1.

Awesome and Good Luck.

Dont worry about hte 2 to 4 week wait it will go by fast.
I waited from Oct. to March for mine after I put my deposite down.

:tup:

Nice! How much did you get it for?

$5999 + $399 shipping + $89 doc fee. Plus 6% sales tax (approx 425 for tax, title, and tag) when it gets here for the state of AZ. I tried to beat the guy down to $5500 but he said he took it on trade at $5500 and had the oil changed, safety/service inspection and new tires put on.

There was one in state but it had 4 times the miles and looked like $hit for the $6500 plus 9% sales tax they wanted. There was another shop here that is notorious for ripping people off that had one listed for $7995. Good dealer value on the bike is 7200 on nada.com right now.

I came out ahead from my totaled Fz6 and am only coming out of the pocket a couple hundred.

I actually love my insurance, they paid out on the xenon bulbs, iridium plugs and MRA windshield as part of my plan.

I figure worse case scenario I ride it a couple weeks, if it's too much bike then I will turn around and flip it on CL for $7000. I mean a brand new one is $12500 out the door here in AZ.

$5999 + $399 shipping + $89 doc fee. Plus 6% sales tax (approx 425 for tax, title, and tag) when it gets here for the state of AZ. I tried to beat the guy down to $5500 but he said he took it on trade at $5500 and had the oil changed, safety/service inspection and new tires put on.

There was one in state but it had 4 times the miles and looked like $hit for the $6500 plus 9% sales tax they wanted. There was another shop here that is notorious for ripping people off that had one listed for $7995. Good dealer value on the bike is 7200 on nada.com right now.

I came out ahead from my totaled Fz6 and am only coming out of the pocket a couple hundred.

I actually love my insurance, they paid out on the xenon bulbs, iridium plugs and MRA windshield as part of my plan.

I figure worse case scenario I ride it a couple weeks, if it's too much bike then I will turn around and flip it on CL for $7000. I mean a brand new one is $12500 out the door here in AZ.

Not sure how it works in AZ. But If I buy a bike anywhere I only Pay NJ state Tax. Did you pay 6% sales tax for the state its in? You may have to also pay the 9% when you go to register it in AZ. I never knew you had to pay tax on a vehicle from another state. I know I never have.

They look good blacked out. Keep your eyes open on the forum, someone might be selling black wheels sooner or later. You could get some black R1 wheels, brakes, and suspension and go that route, too.

Not sure how it works in AZ. But If I buy a bike anywhere I only Pay NJ state Tax. Did you pay 6% sales tax for the state its in? You may have to also pay the 9% when you go to register it in AZ. I never knew you had to pay tax on a vehicle from another state. I know I never have.

I don't know if I explained that well enough.

On out of state bikes from a dealer, AZ charges approximately 6% sales tax if the originating state does not. They said it is some federal law, blah, blah, blah.

If I were to purchase a bike in state from a dealer then I would pay 8.9%. Basically the Federal tax, state tax, scottsdale tax and county tax.

My new bike is coming from WI and they are not charging me the tax there.

I believe if it is a private party sale in either case there is no sales tax that is charged.

The longer I live in AZ I am starting to realize that it is one of the best organized crime governmenets in the country. Everything they do here is about money. They have the highest DUI fees of any state. If you get a DUI they force you to put an Interlock Ignition Device on your car for a year that costs between $80-130 a month. If you are on probation you have to pay $75-125 a month. I had a friend who was legally possessing marijuna as per our Medical marijuana license law who was pulled over, illegally searched and seized. When he gets to court they just tell him they'll give him probabtion for 3-5 years and a monthly probation charge of $85 plus he has to go to their drug class which they charge $100 a month for. The drug class, I guess the instructors can chose to keep people in as long as they want, there is no defined number of sessions they have to go to. And I guess the instructors are told to keep their numbers up. On top of all that in the time Sheriff Joe Arpaio has been in office they have had to settle $51 million dollars in law suits because of mistakes his organizatin is responsible for. Oh yeah, and he has 4 private security, delta force, type guys to protect him at all times that they pay $250k a piece.

Can somebody please make a soap box smiley face so that it can depict when a person gets off the soapbox after a rant?

I don't know if I explained that well enough.

On out of state bikes from a dealer, AZ charges approximately 6% sales tax if the originating state does not. They said it is some federal law, blah, blah, blah.

If I were to purchase a bike in state from a dealer then I would pay 8.9%. Basically the Federal tax, state tax, scottsdale tax and county tax.

My new bike is coming from WI and they are not charging me the tax there.

I believe if it is a private party sale in either case there is no sales tax that is charged.

The longer I live in AZ I am starting to realize that it is one of the best organized crime governmenets in the country. Everything they do here is about money. They have the highest DUI fees of any state. If you get a DUI they force you to put an Interlock Ignition Device on your car for a year that costs between $80-130 a month. If you are on probation you have to pay $75-125 a month. I had a friend who was legally possessing marijuna as per our Medical marijuana license law who was pulled over, illegally searched and seized. When he gets to court they just tell him they'll give him probabtion for 3-5 years and a monthly probation charge of $85 plus he has to go to their drug class which they charge $100 a month for. The drug class, I guess the instructors can chose to keep people in as long as they want, there is no defined number of sessions they have to go to. And I guess the instructors are told to keep their numbers up. On top of all that in the time Sheriff Joe Arpaio has been in office they have had to settle $51 million dollars in law suits because of mistakes his organizatin is responsible for. Oh yeah, and he has 4 private security, delta force, type guys to protect him at all times that they pay $250k a piece.

Can somebody please make a soap box smiley face so that it can depict when a person gets off the soapbox after a rant?

This begs the question "Why choose to live there?" ;) Sounds like a state I will never choose to live in, much like California with all their weird laws. NH is SOOOOO much less complicated. We pay all our fees in two yearly payments and we don't pay any other taxes... the two payments are the first and second installments of your yearly property tax. :deal:

This begs the question "Why choose to live there?" ;) Sounds like a state I will never choose to live in, much like California with all their weird laws. NH is SOOOOO much less complicated. We pay all our fees in two yearly payments and we don't pay any other taxes... the two payments are the first and second installments of your yearly property tax. :deal:

I learned yesterday that I can make a YZ street legal in Oklahoma! Now that is cool.

Weather! :sport12:

All states have 'issues', whether high cost, high crime, high income taxes, property taxes, too many Libs/Conservatives, etc, etc. Some are far worse than others, we all have to pick and choose among a lot of factors, including employment, as to what is best for us and our families. We all should try to hit the sweet spot that balances out income and freedom, the whole 'pursuit of happiness thing'.

I was fortunate enough in that I lived a lot of years overseas so didn't have a lot of ties to any one place, so when it came close to retirement my wife and I looked at a lot of places with a clean slate. We chose central TX for climate (year round riding), cost of living and the fact the goobers running things pretty much leave you alone and respect your overall rights.

Enjoy your new toy and remember :needpics: of your new FZ1.

I would prefer CA any time under any circumstances over the cold North. I may even be ready to live on the road for the weather here :D. Cold is just depressing to live in, forget doing any work!

Last edited:
In CA, you just pay additional difference in the two taxes. To get my cars registered here, I had to pay the 1.1% difference.

Back