Footrest Modification.

Here are some pics of my footrest modification. I'm very long in the leg and gained about 20mm by removing the stock rubber and fitting grippy aluminum plate. Also found my boots and the rubber rests interfered with each other. Simple and cheap mod if you need leg room. Cheers.

That's a nice DIY there.... have you looked into getting Buell Ulysses pegs for more room to stretch out? You have to mount them a little interestingly... but I think they're good for an inch or more...

Very nice! Can I ask where do you get the aluminium plate from? I would love some more leg room!

The aluminum plate is 3.5mm thick and is actually heavy duty carpet edging. Bunnings keep a good stock of aluminum plate and trims. If you try to remove your rubber peg covers you will need an impact screwdriver - I used the type you wack with a hammer. Sounds severe but necessary. The Phillips heads under the pegs have been fitted with loctite. The plate was cut with a fine blade in my angle grinder and filed to fit. At the minute superglued on so I can drill up the holes, countersink and fit a nice discreet good looking bolt (flush) with nut and lock washer underneath. A used set of R1 or R6 pegs were $70 + and required a bit of work to fit plus the stock peg would be destroyed as it is pinned - no circlip. I just wanted an extra 1 inch of legroom (plus they look ok too!!) Cheers.

Last edited:
Very nice mod!!! Footrest pegs are looking very good!!!

Thanks CRO FZ1, I notice you have Michelin Pilot Pure tyres on your bike. What do you think of them? You probably need a real sticky tyre with that extra HP. What mileage do you expect to get out of them? I'm getting new front and rear in the next few weeks and I'm thinking of going for the Pilot Road 2's after reading previous posts in the forum. Cheers.

so far I've done 3000km with the Power pure tyres and I'm very impressed...they are sure sticky...i hope to do another 4000 - 5000 km with them...

However summer is coming and the tyres will be consuming more quickly so i'll see in 3 months how really good they are

Here are some pics of my footrest modification. I'm very long in the leg and gained about 20mm by removing the stock rubber and fitting grippy aluminum plate. Also found my boots and the rubber rests interfered with each other. Simple and cheap mod if you need leg room. Cheers.

That looks great, I would like to do similar, not so much for the extra room, but to get rid of the mushy/rubber on the pegs for a more solid feel.

THANKS!

I did a similar mod a while back. as OP stated, you get the benefits of more leg room without any significant loss in cornering clearence. (unlike lowered pegs) I noticed no increase in vibes with the rubber removed, but my bike realy dosen't vibrate that much. Mine wasn't as nice as I didn't addthe metal cover, but just notched the perimiter for added grip.
footpegs.jpg

And for those that prefer a rubber coated peg, but still want to gain a little additional leg room there's the FZ6 rubber pads. Direct replacement for the stock FZ1 pads.

attachment.php

I did a similar mod a while back. as OP stated, you get the benefits of more leg room without any significant loss in cornering clearence. (unlike lowered pegs) I noticed no increase in vibes with the rubber removed, but my bike realy dosen't vibrate that much. Mine wasn't as nice as I didn't addthe metal cover, but just notched the perimiter for added grip.

Neat grooves, Stretch, did you use a small ginder, dremel or hack saw? Did you remove the pegs from the bike to do the grooves? FZ1N pegs do not have the pin removable and I did not want to mess around releasing the gear and brake linkages. I like the extra inch of leg room and I've found no increase in vibration. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat grooves, Stretch, did you use a small ginder, dremel or hack saw? Did you remove the pegs from the bike to do the grooves? FZ1N pegs do not have the pin removable and I did not want to mess around releasing the gear and brake linkages. I like the extra inch of leg room and I've found no increase in vibration. Cheers.

I used a large file with the pegs still on the bike. The aluminum is actually very soft and it only took a couple of minutes.

I like that look as well as the function of it stretch. I found myself not liking the stock foot pegs too. I looked into getting an adjustable rearset but those are pricey.

Knight Design on ebay seems to have a nice selection of 2 and 1 inch drop pegs for half the cost of an adjustable rearset, but that's still a bit pricey for something you would have to 'custom fit'.

Looks like you can find R1 and FZ1 pegs that look similar for cheaper yet.. would R1 pegs work on an FZ1?

I like that look as well as the function of it stretch. I found myself not liking the stock foot pegs too. I looked into getting an adjustable rearset but those are pricey.

Knight Design on ebay seems to have a nice selection of 2 and 1 inch drop pegs for half the cost of an adjustable rearset, but that's still a bit pricey for something you would have to 'custom fit'.

Looks like you can find R1 and FZ1 pegs that look similar for cheaper yet.. would R1 pegs work on an FZ1?
I looked down the R1 peg road and I think they would be a good fit. The angle at the spring loaded part of the FZ1 peg looks the same as does the fit width for an R1 peg. It was a quick look so don't quote me on this. FZ1 peg is fixed pin so it would be stuffed if just the peg only was removed. The R1 foot pegs I looked at were removable by circlip. Second hand price here was $70 + dollars so I altered the stock items. The extra dollars just went toward a new set of tyres with 90 degree valve stems. Must budget somewhere. Cheers.

Back