First pucker moment on the FZ

soccerguy83

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later, and it chose sooner. Coming into work making the right turn into work itself, right at the apex of the turn, front wheel hit a golf ball sized rock. Caused the front tire to slide over a couple inches which at the time felt like a mile, threw the right leg down (in hindsight, stupid idea but it was just reaction, was only doing 15ish). When the foot came up off the ground my ankle hit a hard bit on the bike that will leave a nice bruise.

No worse for wear just got the blood flowing so to speak. I will now be looking for more adequate riding boots.

Was much better than the last "oh $hit moment" I had. On my old xv535 I was cruising down a back road at 45-50mph not speeding and a farmer in a truck pulls out right in front of me and then does about 25mph. I locked them up on that one and "knew" I was gonna end up in the bed of his truck. All I could think was this is gonna hurt. Ended up stopping prior to getting to the truck, but I was madder then hell and shaking like a leaf.

Happy Tues. everyone!

Glad you didn't totally lose it and low-side. Especially on corners, always scan for these little dangers that can turn into something very big!

so you weren't paying attention to where you were going and hit a rock. got it. at least you'd didn't crash. pay attention to what you're doing and those moments come much later than sooner

Was paying attention (or so I thought), actually went back around to see what it was that I hit and barely saw it as I went by, blended in SURPRISINGLY well!

Thanks for the critical comments I do appreciate it!

Where I live the roads are deteriorating all the time then they get patched. It becomes almost second nature to look ahead at the road conditions which can change from nice black-top to chip and seal to gravel and back to concrete.

It's more fun at night.:jaw drop:

Then add the distracted driver into the mix and you find yourself double checking everything around you.

Last edited:
Where I live the roads are deteriorating all the time then they get patched. It becomes almost second nature to look ahead at the road conditions which can change from nice black-top to chip and seal to gravel and back to concrete.

It's more fun at night.:jaw drop:

Then add the distracted driver into the mix and you find yourself double checking everything around you.
Same thing here, I dont know about down there but here in MI we dont have any road shoulders either so almost every corner or curve has dirt and rocks all over it. Sometimes it kinda makes me feel like a squid rounding a corner because I go so slow then get back on it once around the corner.

Same thing here, I dont know about down there but here in MI we dont have any road shoulders either so almost every corner or curve has dirt and rocks all over it. Sometimes it kinda makes me feel like a squid rounding a corner because I go so slow then get back on it once around the corner.

Most of the state roads have some shoulder but county roads don't. Even if you are familiar with the corner things can change after a rain storm washes the dirt and gravel back onto the road. Did I mention Tar Snakes? Those are fun in 90+ degree days.

That's not a squid, that's a Harley rider! A squid is the rider without any gear at all. ;)

We don't have a lot of issues with rocks/sand/gravel. But, if you do, always take the outside line in the corner where the car's tires run. When cars round corners, a lot of the force is on the outside tires and they clear the path of most debris. The inside line for a car will not clear the road as the tires are "lighter" in the corner. Basic Rider Course 101 teachings... :D

Here, we have tar snakes! Crack sealer and a lot of it. Nothing like that squishy feeling that moves you an inch of two to the outside in the corner! Then when fall comes, we have leaves and pine needles by the crap-load.

Back