ECU Swap for 06" FZ-1

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum, glad to finally find an FZ 1 site in the US. My ECU question has some motivation, I recently moved out of CA and I am no longer bound by the rediculous emissions laws. I want to swap out the ECU on my 06 FZ1, and I would like some suggestions from anyone has experince with this swap. Thanks,

I don't think the CA ECU has a different tune. As far as I know Yamaha designed the Gen II FZ1 to meet emissions in all US markets in the same state of tune. This includes two catalytic converters (header and muffler). You may want to start by getting rid of both of them. Gut the header cat and install a slip-on. You may also want to consider doing some of the other mods (cut down flies, modified airbox, etc) along with a PC V...

Now the '06 did have some fueling issues, which Yamaha tried to correct in later years so swapping for a '10 and up ECU is an option, but costly. You might want to get your stock ECU reflashed instead. You can read more about it here:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/12609-ecunleashed-ecu-flash.html

Last edited:
I've read about ECUunleashed, I'll look more into that.
I'm also looking into replacing my entire exhaust system. The bike has close to 60,000 miles on it, and somewhere along the way I picked up some nasty road grime which completely trashed my headers. My only concern has been the mid-pipe flapper valve; I've heard some real horror stories about the power curve and rideability of the bike post removal of this item. Any exp. with that?

You won't have any issues with the EXUP removed except for more power. If more power dies not bother you then you have no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read about ECUunleashed, I'll look more into that.
I'm also looking into replacing my entire exhaust system. The bike has close to 60,000 miles on it, and somewhere along the way I picked up some nasty road grime which completely trashed my headers. My only concern has been the mid-pipe flapper valve; I've heard some real horror stories about the power curve and rideability of the bike post removal of this item. Any exp. with that?

The Gen I FZ1s were the ones that had potential driveability issues when removing the EXUP. On the Gen II bike like yours it's really more of a noise control valve so go ahead and replace your system with something else and enjoy the new found sound and power.

Back