Don't test ride a Ducati you will fall in love.

One of my all time favorite bikes, a friend had one and another had the Suzuki with the boxer 4 2-smoke (cannot remember the model name) both were amazing. I at the time was riding the then amazing for it's time FJ 1100

Yes this is my RZV500R, it's a Japanese import, it's done about 5000 miles, and it's me re-living my youth! I really wanted a RD350LC, but I am yet to find a good one for the right price.

RZV500R.jpg

Dang!!! Still looks like brand new! :bowdown: Love those 2 stoke. I rode a RD350 few times back in the days. I just can't imagine a 500. Nice looking ride Mate!

The only 2 stroke I owned was a 1982 Honda MB5. Pimp up a bit... 70 MPH on a 49.9cc Well, that was the number stamp on the engine...LOL

Yes this is my RZV500R, it's a Japanese import, it's done about 5000 miles, and it's me re-living my youth! I really wanted a RD350LC, but I am yet to find a good one for the right price.

RZV500R.jpg

Great looking bike. That RZV 500 is one bad ride ;) So has it been derestricted? I know those Japanese market bikes were not very powerful in stock form.

Thanks for the comments. I de-restricted it just after I got it. Removed the restrictors in the exhausts, and re-jetted the carbs. I had it on a dyno and it produced 72bhp at the back wheel, which is about right for the RD500LC. So it's not that powerful, but it's the way the power comes in that makes it feel quick. Also the chassis and brakes are not up to modern levels, so even 100mph feels very quick.

Steve

Pitted next to a guy during a trackday that had a Duc streetfighter. Beautiful piece of machinery, but he was so afraid of having a mishap, I don't think he enjoyed himself all that much.

As to tempting Italians, I'd be more afraid to test-ride a Tuono than any of the Ducs.

Well, I got to take my co-workers MultiStrada out for a bit yesterday. The seat was a little tall for me (6'3", 34" inseam), but only at lights. I just had a bit of getting used to barely touching my heels to the ground when stopped. The bike feels rather big, especially when you are used to riding the FZ1..as I am (duh!).

Once you get moving though, it loses it's girth, and becomes quite comfortable to ride. The grip height takes a bit of getting used to, as it is rather high (once again comparatively to the FZ1). I'm sure you all know, one of the big appeals to a bike such as a Ducati, is not only the looks of them, but the sound of the L-twin (V-twin...whatever!!) thumping underneath you. I wasn't overly enamored by this sound, but it is better than the sound of a straight piped Harley. His bike has a full Termignoni exhaust, which makes it a fair bit louder than a stock one. You certainly don't get away from that sound...even at or above "posted speed limits" on the highway (we have 75mph limit here in CO, I may have 'barely' exceeded that speed, officer...:gagged:).

Along with the sound of the big two-cylinder, comes torque essentially on demand over 3K rpm's...and the pull of that engine is quite addictive. Coming out of corners and just rolling on the throttle was a very fun thing to do on that bike...just as long as you have it in a low enough gear to keep it above the aforementioned 3K. It shudders and shakes below that level...and makes me scared! :eek5: - okay, not scared... but I didn't like it, no sir, I didn't like it one bit!

Despite feeling so tall on the bike, it corners almost telepathically. I didn't really give it the digging in deep into corners, but it was actually feeling very nice, and I know that the owner has taken it to track days a few times, and has given it a solid lean test (or at least had some nice bits of rubber built up on the extreme edges of his Michelin Pilot Powers), so I know I'll give up before the bike does...that and I didn't really feel like paying his $1000 deductible for wadding it up! Nonetheless, it felt very comfortable cornering, and it gave this rider great confidence...at least at 40-50% of my normal perceived limit.

So, I took his bike for lunch "hour", and got back nearly 2 hours later. Had to gas it up due to the 80-90 miles that I toured around on it.
The key-less starting was interesting, and I'm sure I could get used to it after a bit...I am now spoiled with my car, as it is key-less, which makes me almost forget to use a key when I am driving ANY other car. Nothing wrong, just different.

Just thought I'd chime in with my thoughts about it. It would sure be fun to try the Panigale for a bit, although I know it would be a short stint. This boy doesn't typically like the yoga positioning of SS bikes, with much of the weight transferring to my hands...but I would still like to feel one of them if even for only just a scream up and down the local roads for a bit. :cheers:

A man who buys a Ducati thinks he will meet women, but only meets mechanics.

Back