Don't test ride a Ducati you will fall in love.

Well, I'm not that smart...LOL As I always says: Google make people smarter than they appear! LOL

It was done with a minimal amount of tools. I never had the chance of doing it on a 4V engine. I was jut asking how much more difficult it is.

I found it was easier to adjust the 2V than a conventional cam over the bucket type like our bikes. Not as easy to remove and reinstalled the cams to change shims. All you need to do is pull the clip out and push the rockers sideways then change the shims.
Ducatitech.com "HowTo" Adjust your Valves (Part 1) - YouTube

http://youtu.be/lMEkhTuUrwU

1098 street fighter any day of the week, if i could afford to service it, i do 24k year on the bike so think i'd kill it, costly enough running a bike and car as it is (especially in the uk)

replace
A friend of mine has one. I took her for a spin around the block. Wasn't long enough to get the bug. That's an awesome bike. But it's a Ducati... Rough and sexy...

Once you get the valve maintenance sort out, what's the big deal with maintenance? I did a valve adjustment on a older Duc... the tolerance are very tight but doing to work is quite easy. Shims kit: $325.00 with one shim of each... Hey, it's a Ducati...

Don't forget the timing belt, I think the dealer said at 15,000 miles and big $$

Hey, it's a Ducati

Heres the solution have both!

PanigaleFz1.jpg

Steve

I rode the Diavel and was grinning the entire time I was on the bike! It's a stunning FUN bike, but........I've been in luv with the MS since they came out with it and since all I do is sport-tour, it's actually the 'perfect' bike! Problem is, the whole Ducati 'unreliability' is holding me back! I just got back from Laguna Seca (yes, MGP is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and talked to numerous individuals that were on MS. They ALL said the same thing: it was the best bike they've ever owned! So, what I'm going to do, is put up my well set-up FZ1 for sale and if I sell it.........I'll buy a MS!!!!!

It's a gorgeous bike and looking at all of them at Ducati Island my lust was running at.......

I rode the Diavel and was grinning the entire time I was on the bike! It's a stunning FUN bike, but........I've been in luv with the MS since they came out with it and since all I do is sport-tour, it's actually the 'perfect' bike! Problem is, the whole Ducati 'unreliability' is holding me back! I just got back from Laguna Seca (yes, MGP is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and talked to numerous individuals that were on MS. They ALL said the same thing: it was the best bike they've ever owned! So, what I'm going to do, is put up my well set-up FZ1 for sale and if I sell it.........I'll buy a MS!!!!!

It's a gorgeous bike and looking at all of them at Ducati Island my lust was running at.......

Check out you tube for the Pikes Peak run Ducati used MS's for that race and did very well.
I have a friend that is a Yamaha / Ducati / BMW / Trumiph mechanic and he said the MS is a great bike. He rated bikes as follows #1 BMW 1000RR, #2 Duc MS, #3 Yamaha R1
All of these had almost no warranty issues, only thing he said is with Duc and BMW valve sets are more frequent and parts are more $

I spoke to several MS owners at Laguna Seca (yes, MGP is awesome!!!) and all of them spoke glowing about their bikes. A 68 yr old guy, from New Mexico, LOVED the bike (I won't say what he said about his previous bikes) and said he should have bought one sooner. It only $$$$, right?

The MS and the Diavel are both great bikes and the Diavel as you say just puts the biggest grin on your face, what an engine! The MS is the best all round bike though, it's fast, comfortable, and it handles. The only thing that annoys me is the keyless ignition, a few times its failed to work for no apparent reason. As you can see I couldn't make up my mind so I had to have all three!

FZ1Forum.jpg

FZ1Forum2.jpg

Just kidding, I belong to a motorcycle club that owns them, so I get to ride them without the hassles of maintenance, insurance or depreciation.

Steve
PS. I do own the Fz1 Fazer

Last edited:
duc's need an ecu flash and then they're pretty awesome. the multistrada is their best bike by far. the pani is meh

A co-worker is letting me take his multistrada for an extended ride tomorrow. His has had the ECU flash, termi exhaust...I know I don't like the looks of it, and he is going to have to bring it back to the duc store for work soon, but I will take the warnings given here with a grain of reliable Yamaha salt. Should be a good time nonetheless...give it a good squirt down the highway, and back up through whatever twisties I can find.

The torque is the beauty, and the looks are the beast of the Multi's...

The MS and the Diavel are both great bikes and the Diavel as you say just puts the biggest grin on your face, what an engine! The MS is the best all round bike though, it's fast, comfortable, and it handles. The only thing that annoys me is the keyless ignition, a few times its failed to work for no apparent reason. As you can see I couldn't make up my mind so I had to have all three!

FZ1Forum.jpg

FZ1Forum2.jpg

Just kidding, I belong to a motorcycle club that owns them, so I get to ride them without the hassles of maintenance, insurance or depreciation.

Steve
PS. I do own the Fz1 Fazer

What's up there still in the garage? RZ500??? :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Yeah... the multi has an interesting mix of not being too pretty - but good enough looking ... a little quirky maybe. Appeals to me...

So I was on a multi forum yesterday and came across someone complaining about $3,200 worth of work on the front forks that his bike apparently needed. That! is a little scary...

Heh, Marthy, I'm seriously thinking about buying a MS. How does the FZ compare to the MS? I'm also concerned about some reliability issues I've been reading about on some Ducati forums. Any comments/opinions for me?

Heh, Marthy, I'm seriously thinking about buying a MS. How does the FZ compare to the MS? I'm also concerned about some reliability issues I've been reading about on some Ducati forums. Any comments/opinions for me?

I rode the Diavel for about 5 minutes and I use my Boss bike every now and then just to keep up running. It's a 93 907 EI. So it's hard for me to give you a proper review. But here's what I think.

Ducati are amazing bikes, so the FZ1. If I ever going to own a Ducati, that would be a second bike.

I look at my 6R (+30K in less than 2 years) like a good Honda Civic. You get in there and it start all the time, cheap to maintain and can go on for 1000's of miles without too much worry. A Ducati is like a Ferrari. It got some character, some style and it's a bike in his own class. But a Ducati, just like a Ferrari, is not quite a every day beat the hell out of it bike. It's a fine machine that need more attention. That make the cost of ownership a little higher.

So if $$$ was right as of today. I'll keep my 6R to ride to work and go around town. And I'll get myself a nice 848 Streetfighter as a nice weekend ride.

I think the latest generation of Ducatis are pretty good now. We have the following bikes in the club, Panigale, Diavel, Multistrada, 848, 848 Streetfighter, and they have all been 100% reliable, each covering 4000-5000 miles so far. Don't forget Audi now own the brand, and will surely improve the quality, just like they did with Lamborghini.

Steve

Back