Ditching your smart phone

bunk

Whose done it? Off the top of my head i would miss the weather app, net access and ease of texting, but that can be worked around.

What i want to know are the things people dont talk about, mainly i imagine because very few people have ditched their smart phones for something simpler. Business's sure treat smart phones like every single person has one. Im real close to going back to a flip phone (if they are still available). What will i miss or regret?

Last edited:
I would not consider doing so. I have an S23 Ultra and it has an incredible Camera - better than my Canon SLR and unlike the Canon it fits in my pocket, has great battery life and can text and make phone calls.

I would not consider doing so. I have an S23 Ultra and it has an incredible Camera - better than my Canon SLR and unlike the Canon it fits in my pocket, has great battery life and can text and make phone calls.
So i shouldnt because pics and easy texting? Anything else?

I too struggle with this.
They are very convenient and useful tools, but they are also spy and tracking devices.

I don't think I will miss it much once I ditch it.

So i shouldnt because pics and easy texting? Anything else?
You do what you want man - just telling you why I have no desire to go back to a basic phone.

I like having the Life 360 app so my wife and I can always see where the other person is at.

The big screen is nice for reading when I use the phone for reading.

I have a long list of things I use my phone for that you might not.

I may have been one of the last "flip phone" holdouts a few years back. While I HATE texting, it is VERY convenient... perhaps too convenient in that people text when they ought to be having a conversation.

The pros for me are: Voice to text provides hilarious "mistypes" on occasion.
The camera! I love how well it takes pics and makes it easy to document my travels and weird or interesting findings.
Alarm and weather and email access. All convenient but I'd manage without if I had to.
Waze/map apps - don't use this much BUT it has been a life saver when I venture into urban environments.

Cons: "THEY" are watching/tracking you, 24/7. Given where I think we are heading, this doesn't really bother me that much for... various reasons.
Texting instead of talking. Ruining so many children's social skills and creating a generation of literal "immediate gratification". This goes for parents as well.
Cagers seem to think all cars are self-driving now and they don't really need to watch the road...

Get rid of it. You survived before 5G. Plenty of cheap 4G and maybe a few 5G flip phones available that fit comfortably in your pocket. You can always go back. Been thinking the same thing.

I may have been one of the last "flip phone" holdouts a few years back. While I HATE texting, it is VERY convenient... perhaps too convenient in that people text when they ought to be having a conversation.

The pros for me are: Voice to text provides hilarious "mistypes" on occasion.
The camera! I love how well it takes pics and makes it easy to document my travels and weird or interesting findings.
Alarm and weather and email access. All convenient but I'd manage without if I had to.
Waze/map apps - don't use this much BUT it has been a life saver when I venture into urban environments.

Cons: "THEY" are watching/tracking you, 24/7. Given where I think we are heading, this doesn't really bother me that much for... various reasons.
Texting instead of talking. Ruining so many children's social skills and creating a generation of literal "immediate gratification". This goes for parents as well.
Cagers seem to think all cars are self-driving now and they don't really need to watch the road...
Who is "they" in your opinion and what exactly are you afraid of?

3 lettr agences. Misspelled on purpose, cause the new normal.

Im not afraid of anything, im tired of fake news. It drives me insane to see someone bold face lie on the 'news'. Trumps 'massacre' comment taken out of context being the latest.

During my rv trip i wondered why we go thru negative experiences when we have choice. I started eliminating things that have any sort of negative connotation. My phone is the only thing left that creates negative emotions.

C'mon, man! You clearly aren't indulging in your daily dose of Big Gov't & Tech overreach paranoia! 😄

I'm not afraid of anything in regards to that, but it's still unnerving and grinds my gears a bit...

3 lettr agences. Misspelled on purpose, cause the new normal.

Im not afraid of anything, im tired of fake news. It drives me insane to see someone bold face lie on the 'news'. Trumps 'massacre' comment taken out of context being the latest.

During my rv trip i wondered why we go thru negative experiences when we have choice. I started eliminating things that have any sort of negative connotation. My phone is the only thing left that creates negative emotions.
If you really think the FBI, NSA or any other three letter agency is tracking every single phone in the country or the world I have some bad new for you. That just ain't happening.

Do they target criminals and other nefarious organizations via technology - yes they do. Do they track everyone - no they do not.

If you really think the FBI, NSA or any other three letter agency is tracking every single phone in the country or the world I have some bad new for you. That just ain't happening.

Do they target criminals and other nefarious organizations via technology - yes they do. Do they track everyone - no they do not.
They track themselves?

C'mon, man! You clearly aren't indulging in your daily dose of Big Gov't & Tech overreach paranoia! 😄

I'm not afraid of anything in regards to that, but it's still unnerving and grinds my gears a bit...

We should all be concerned about it.

Utah data center. But thats only what they are admitting to.

Back