Dirt Bike Experience saved me today.

So on my commute home my GoPro filled up and stopped recording about 1 mile from where this incident happened which is a bummer cause it would have been crazy footage.

As I am sure many of you do - I do my best to be a good citizen when riding and notify drivers if something is hanging off their vehicle.

Today as I was approaching the exit from the 5 north to the 78 east I noticed the side box on a big work truck was open - I got next to the driver and stood up and waved to get his attention and pointed back at the box.

All good right.

I turn and sit down and realize I was coming in a little too hot to make my turn and had drifted toward the dirty part of the road at the split.

I made the quick decision to go full motocross and ride directly into the iceplant covered median while slowing the best I could. I hit a break in the ice plant where a 1 foot drop was with a 1 foot incline on the other side and bounced up. My center stand caught a bunch of dead ice plant and I drug to a stop while trying to ride back to the pavement. My bike was stuck in place and revving just spun the tire.

I do have a bunch of off road experience and started my riding career in the dirt.

I quickly realized that getting out was going to be hard so I took my jacket and helmet off, removed my backpack from the back and through a combination of heaving and revving was able to get the bike out of the ice plant to the asphalt.

Chucks of plant were wedged up in my center stand and headers and I was super sweaty from all the work with my heavy boots and riding overpants. I took it easy on the way home knowing my tires would have some slick on them from the plants for a little bit.

Man I wish I had video....

I did take a few pics.

Here is the view of where I came from:
1713996789083.png

Here is the Dip I bounced through - the bike came to stop near where my jacket and backpack are on the ground:
1713996831583.png

And the Path I forged with some brute force and lots of spinning rear tire.......
1713996906298.png

Back