Decided to go Retro

Meinschaft took me for a spin a couple weeks ago and I noticed how nice it was to ride behind a guy with a stock exhaust. I had a MIVV Suono carbon/titanium can and it definitely had quite a bark, especially over about 5000 RPM. The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of being able to actually hear the engine instead of the bark of the exhaust. Finally, yesterday I took the Suono off and put the stock can back on. Yes, it does weigh a bit more, probably 15 pounds or so but I think the sound of the engine at 5000 is far better on the ears than the loud crack of the explosions coming off the Suono. I still have the PCIII working and I do have the air box mod and I can here the intake now. I couldn't with the Suono. And as far as I can tell, it hasn't hurt performane a bit. To see how she'd do with the stock can, I nailed it on a back road and she took off just fine. Within about 1/4 mile she hit 138 indicated before I shut it down and she was still clawing at the tarmac. I still have the Suono in the garage but for now I'm keeping the stock exhaust on the bike.

The Suono is definitely a loud exhaust, especially with the db killer removed.
I sold my one and bought an Akrapovic, it's much more civil.
I even cut 80mm off the end and it is still not too loud.

Yea, too loud of an exhaust eventually gets old. I ran my Yosh R-77 for a while w/o the baffle in place, but at the end of last year I installed it again. It still has enough noise w/o being overbearing. I'll keep it with the baffle in from now on.

I am also DONE with loud exhausts. Had laser quads on my FZ6 and when I put the stock exhaust back to sell the bike I started enjoying the bike much more due to the smooth sound and whistle of the engine. It is hard to describe but I always loved stock Honda and Kawasaki exhausts and it felt similar.

Then I realized how frickin loud my micron is without the baffle and with it too. It just gets too tiring during long rides or when you are not hauling ass and are just commuting to work or to the twisties. I put a scorpion slip on and now I feel the bike is much more smoother and has better low end response. I am going to keep it on the bike and enjoy the ride. Even my holeshot hi-mount also felt much smoother and powerful. This may well have to do with shorter length of the micron.

I thought the Two-Bros was too loud as well but with the P4 tip, it is almost like a stock can. However, when the packing needs to be replaced, I think I'll just go back to stock.

Those going back to stock, are you also cabling up the EXUP again of just tying that open?

Good observations.

Typically a long exhaust, with large volume muffler will yield a better all around powerband.

When I had my 1125R I install a Freespirits full exhaust. It ran so-so. Then we gutted the mufflers to get an accurate 4 gas reading for tuning. It tuned well but was painfully loud, even with earplugs. So I kept the headers, had custom mid-pipes built and fitted RSV Aura twin mufflers. Not only was the sound reasonable but it ran great! The trip was the longer exhaust and total exhaust volume. Short, loud exhaust usually kill power.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

So does this mean a two inch hole isn't just a two inch hole?

I like my yosh but some times I wish it was a smidge louder. I definitely love it when I get on it a bit. I liked the trs better though, it was just the right loud and a couple of inches shorter than the rs. I think both of mine have the db eater in. I can't get the tip off of the rs to try to take it out so I don't know if i'd like it without. I don't like how long it is.

I'm gonna get a different exhaust when I get the forks done for an all over different look.

I have the carbon fiber MIVV Suono on my 09 for about 3 months now. I like it, the db killer is in place. Doesnt seem to loud to me. What i didnt like was the cost, but im all better now looks good with the cobalt blue.

Back