Daughter Deployed to Theater Today.

Put off shipping the latest care package till friday.... I felt the need to add more.
DSCN1600.jpg

Mom and I sent 2 boxes today, one with the mags ands tac gear, one with candy bars, ice tea & hygine stuff. I got to chat with her on skype this am, she sounds in good spirts.

hey sniper, Where over here is she? Ive been here for a little over two months now and its not as bad as people say it is. Im at FOB Mehter Lam but bounce from FOB Fenty to there and to Bagram.

Using Facebook (of all things) the kids in 3rd SF are able to send short messages home. Some brilliant 18E (SF Commo SGT's) were able to use field equipment to post online, on mission. So far it's been pretty cool, wish I had that when I was in.

This message from her was not so great.

3 opperators from 3rd SF Group (Airborne), one who just yesterday slapped an SF Combat Patch on her in the field, were killed in action. She seemed first upset them quickly graduated to pissed off and focused.

"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."
- Col. Charlie Beckwith, founder of Delta Force

3rd_special_forces_group_sticker-p217142033655808128qjcl_400.jpg

29247_397392003610_69284653610_4182836_6539029_n.jpg

I remember some years ago when guys coming out of the Q tried to avoid assignment to 3rd group---7th at Bragg was a better option. Of course, you had to have friends to change it. But, I knew one bad ass RI who went thru the course and went to 3rd. I figured once enough good guys got in there it would improve. Probably a lot different there now. Time flies!

Kid went "wheels up" to Afganistan today with 3rd Special Forces. She's 19, a PFC E-3 with one year in. Prowd & scared but more the former. Talked to her alot last couple days, admin sh*t, when are we getting her car, bank account info, the old Yamaha got sta-bil in it and on trickle charge, cell phone suspention, blah blah blah...
I was all business with her on the phone, just said good buy like I allways do sive she joined up, "Love ya, Kiddo. Be safe"....
I hit one last post on her facebook page a little while ago...
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great ...enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt
Me to her: Be safe, do the job, pay attention to the little things, action beats inaction... all I got kiddo. You got the ball. Good Hunting. Been on the other side of this more times than I care to remember. Little different this time. Every formerly broken bone in my body wants to take her place. But I have been there and done that. Probably why I'm taking it hard. Questioning myself if I gave her enough along the way. I can probably look at her and know the answer to that, but not at the moment.
DSCN0184.jpg

Hope she stays safe and away from flying metal objects. What's her MOS?

She got to group fast, went right into FET selection and training then deployed, She's STILL 19. She plans on goning to DLI in Monterey when she gets the slot.
Talker to her today and it's all about the current chaos with Pakistan. She's concerned about supply lines and said simply "SEND CHOW"

Thanks to you and your daughter for your service and sacrifices. I was in an Air Cav unit during the Iranian hostage debacle and spent more time in the Mojave desert training than where I was actually stationed at. Never went to war so I can't say, "I know just how you feel". But I can get some sense of how hard it must be to let your loved one go there. Many thanks....

Just read the rest of the post. Glad she made it back safe!

Last edited:
I dont miss Bragg at all, left 1.5 years ago and havnt looked back. Its nice having longer hair but I can't tell people to do push ups anymore for being idiots. Oh well.

I dont miss Bragg at all, left 1.5 years ago and havnt looked back. Its nice having longer hair but I can't tell people to do push ups anymore for being idiots. Oh well.

No worries mud. When I made it to Bragg they told me to grow hair. And I looked too damn GI. Gotta love SF.:woot:

Way to be a great Dad. I have guy and gals here that don't talk to anyone from home and doesn't ever seem like they get mail from there either. If she ever needs a friend in Bagram tell her to look up a SSgt Trosen in the 455th EAPS Ramp section if and when she comes back. I'll be around until July. Bluechevy same goes for you when you are in Bagram come visit in Ramp. Thanks to everyone on the site for the support you give to my military and civilian brothers and sisters that are over here. It means a great deal to me knowing that there are people out there that care.

Glad she's made it back safe from this deployment. From one Army to another... Thank you all for putting your lives on the line so we can enjoy this freedom.

I only served during peace time thus can never know what it's like to be at war. I can only ever say I was ready to go and fight when the time came.

Go Army!!

Back