Could I get an FZ1 to work for me?

gdcpony

So you know who you are advising, I am a rider of 5 years experience. I have completed Basic Rider's Course, Experienced Rider's Course, Advanced Rider's Course, Advanced Motorcycle Operator's School (USMC event put on by the California Superbike School), a few other sport bike oriented courses (usually on my Sporty), and several Advanced Rider Track Days (similar to the AMOS, but with more one on one coaching). I am the Motorcycle Mentorship Program Representative for my unit, and average 20k miles a year. I have wrecked my XS twice- once with the oldest on the back- before I realized safety courses are there for a reason (hard headed). I also lost my last commuter bike- Virago 250- to a stop sign running truck. I have been told I am a quick study and fun to watch ride by coaches, but I doubt I am any pro level rider by any means. If I were not pending orders to Recruiting Duty, I would be getting trained as a coach by now.

I also joined the Corps with my license suspended (2001 mind you) for racing cars. A phase that ended when I got married, but a little still remains that sneaks out on quiet back roads I know well. Just keeping it honest.

I am looking for a certain type of bike. Problem is I don't know what it is. Here is my dilemma: I have in my garage a 2005 Harley Sportster 1200R, An old 1977 Yamaha XS 650 (not butchered), and a 2012 Honda CBR250. The XS is being restored for my oldest as she loves it. The Sporty is nice and cushy for those long rides and has enough grunt to keep me happy speed wise. Plus as an R it can corner relatively well. The CBR has been called a "scalpel" by my coaches on track days due to its cornering (despite a lack luster suspension), but lacks the serious punch and high speed cornering needed for anything outside of its commuting role and the tight tracks of ARTD's.

I am looking for a bike that will have comfort, punch, and cornering. I want something I can cruise with the wife beside me for trips, yet suit my inner child when riding the Midland Trail or US250 on the way between NC and OH. Oh and under if you can). Allot to ask isn't it?

Plan is to drop the Sporty 2" for the wife. I have cornered it to its limit and beyond at the cost of two mufflers already. Every time my friends and I go out I am trying to stay with their CBR's, R1, and GSXR's in the twisties. If I take out the little CBR I hang them out to dry in the tight corners, but watch them disappear everywhere else. I also don't like the feeling of my backside after a tank of fuel on it (about two of their tanks). I have ridden their bikes and can only say no way in God's creation would I ride that for a long trip and survive. Even they admit the comfort sucks for them and they will be trucking their bikes (in my trailer) to the Tail this April.

After looking around I know that my dream 675R would leave my back in peril after 38 years of abuse. I also know no cruiser would suit my urge to lean. So a "Roadster" or "Sport Touring" bike is in order. I have started looking at bikes like the older FZ1, later Ninja 1000's, and those types.

I rode an FZ, and it was tip toe high for me (I'm 5'7"). However, the seat comfort and wind protection on my short (3 miles) test ride seemed fine, maybe a lower fairing might be needed later. The bike seemed "heavy" requiring more effort on the bars to tip in than my Sporty as well. The punch was there for sure as was the lean angle I am looking for. It was smooth, but having to tip toe it kinda killed it for me. The preload was set center in the rear and the forks were flush to the tree.

Try a properly setup fz with good new tires on it and see how it compares to the sportster...
I personally don't even know why it's called a sportster because there's nothing sport about it.
The FZ however can be made into a fairly sporty bike or can be a fairly good tourer.

I am 6' 2"

If I was 5' 7" I would buy an FZ6. My neighbor just sold his 2011 Ducati 795 Hypermotard because he was tired of standing on his tip toes at a stop sign. At 5'8" he is now shopping "used 600cc" in line fours.

Seeing me going town the freeway, my family thought I looked,"Very tall and sitting upright," on my 08 FZ1.

The only Sportster I would ever buy is the 1200 Nightster with dragbars. Very cool looking Bobber.

I'd save the 08 FZ1 for any ride out of town.

If I was 5' 7" I would buy an FZ6. My neighbor just sold his 2011 Ducati 795 Hypermotard because he was tired of standing on his tip toes at a stop sign. At 5'8" he is now shopping "used 600cc" in line fours.

Seeing me going town the freeway, my family thought I looked,"Very tall and sitting upright," on my 08 FZ1.

The only Sportster I would ever buy is the 1200 Nightster with dragbars. Very cool looking Bobber.

My wife loved the Sporty and still does. It sits high for its type owing to its longer suspension, and packs so much better braking with the dual fronts. But I have pushed it too far. I love the cruising, but keep wanting to lean further than it will allow.

I have the 250 for my commuting, and I made a trip to OH on it (1700miles in one week). Boy did my butt pay for that. But it was sooo much fun on the twisting back roads. I am looking for the FZ (or similar bike) to be for those kind of trips, the nice days to work, and just romping around on.

You can't go wrong with an FZ1. It's a do-everything bike with loads of power and great handling. It will blow your Sporty 1200R into another solar system in every conceivable way, I think.

Welcome to the forum!

I dropped the forks in the trees and it made a huge improvement to handling. I also swapped out the original wheels for marchesini rims and that massively improved change of direction. I ride the fz1 as a commuter, tourer and sport bike. I have had the suspension dialed in for my weight, height and riding position and this made it a totally different bike to the one I rode off the show room floor. Upgrading to Ohlins front and rear also made a huge improvement.

Basically this is a bike you can definitely dial in for you and ride it any way you like. My father in law is about your height and has no trouble riding it.

The best way,is take one for a test ride then decide,I am only 5`7 and handle it fine,sure I wish I could stand flat footed while stopped, but at my height I have this problem with a lot of bikes so just learn to get used to it. Must admit too dropping it on wet grass once but had no problem standing it back up by myself, and I am 61yrs old

I'm 5'7" and cannot put both feet on the ground, but that is not an important issue, imo. It is easy to just lean the bike over a few degrees when stopped to plant one foot firmly on the ground. I've been riding for almost 40 years and have never dropped a bike over because I couldn't put both feet on the ground. It just isn't necessary to have full control of the bike.

The FZ1 is an old platform but it is a fun bike to ride, and it is reliable.

Last edited:
Some people have used a lowering link on the rear suspension to get the seat height down 2 inches.

The bike is awesome. A 2 headed succubus that will keep you smiling. Under 6000 she's cute, sporty and fun to get around. Above 6000 RPM and her growl kicks in as you must engage core muscles and leg strength to stay on for the ride.

Phh my wife is 5'7 and has no issues on my 1. If she can ride it shouldn't be a problem for anyone else.

The fz didnt feel perfect to me until i put the raising link on and i was on my toes at a stop. To each his own. This seams to be a do it all bike some make it a tourer even though it has terrible gas mileage and a short wheelbase some make it a track bike even though its heavy a and kinda big. One thing i have noticed is that alot of people that have this bike also have at least one other bike. Good luck there are plenty of new or used parts available for this bike at reasonable prices, great help on this site alone to make the fz a perfect bike for you

Since I do like working on bikes, and the FZ seems to have a huge following in the aftermarket, I am bribing the wife now. It might cost me a car! LOL.

The more I hear here and in other sites the more I think I should pick this one up. It is a good deal on a good bike. And it will keep me on my toes literally!

The FZ1 is a pretty easy bike to lower with just a lowering link that usually runs less than $100 and lowering the forks in the triple tree. Lot's of people are comfortable not flat footing, but others like the added security. That's why my wife's FZ1 has the lowering link. She is about 5'3" and the lowering link had the bike where she could flat foot, but then we got an aftermarket seat so she now has her heels raised a little when on level ground.

Some people have used a lowering link on the rear suspension to get the seat height down 2 inches.

The bike is awesome. A 2 headed succubus that will keep you smiling. Under 6000 she's cute, sporty and fun to get around. Above 6000 RPM and her growl kicks in as you must engage core muscles and leg strength to stay on for the ride.

Now, that is an imaginative endorsement! The wife is jealous for some reason???

My inseam is only 29", so I lowered the front by raising the forks 10 mm. in the triple trees. Also have the rear preload at the lowest setting. Works well. Stay with the 190/50 tires instead of 190/55s or even 180/55. They are both bigger in diameter than the 50 aspect ratio tires.

That endorsement is creative as far as the cute, sporty and fun part, but there is little imagination about the core muscles and leg strength to stay on the bike. Better throw in a white-knuckled grip on the bars as well.

The top end power is enough to make you yell inside your helmet. Take it seriously.

The wife put a hold on plans temporarily. Our tenants in OH are forcing us to take them to court to evict them after not paying rent for 2 months. After new tenants are in, I am looking for a Gen-1 in silver.

Good luck in your search, plenty of bikes out there when it's time to buy.

Perhaps you should buy a dirt bike and ride it a few months. After tip toes on one of those any street bike is cake. Once you get used to it, no big deal.

At 5'7" on a real good day I never owned a bike I could flat foot until my wing.

Good luck in your search, plenty of bikes out there when it's time to buy.

Perhaps you should buy a dirt bike and ride it a few months. After tip toes on one of those any street bike is cake. Once you get used to it, no big deal.

At 5'7" on a real good day I never owned a bike I could flat foot until my wing.

I can flat all mine: my little CBR, The old XS650, and my Sporty. I just dropped the sporty for the wife. Boy did that take any handling out of it.

So I found this one:

2002 YAMAHA FZ-1 | Motorcycles for sale on Lejeune bookoo!

The wife went with me to pull out the funds so she is on board with it. I am meeting the guy after 6 to test her out (again since I know this bike and have ridden it before) and make the purchase.

So a 2002 with these mods, slightly mushy front brakes (felt like new fluid would fix) and the usual wear and tear for an 11yr old bike. Decent deal or offer $? less? I know the maintenance has been done and the guy is only selling because his wife said so after he got another one. So he is under no pressure to sell. In a town full of Marines, he will sell this fast at this price, so I am hesitant to talk him down.

Back