Contour HD Cam

Yeah I missed the recent $89.00 blow out on these but for $108 on Amazon I figured I'd pick on up. I'm sure I'll need to pick up a few extras, but $108 is a great price.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Contour-1300-ContourHD-Helmet-Camera/dp/B002QGSYZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319929111&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: ContourHD 1080p Helmet Camera: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Personally I don't care for GP, the controls are vague, and mine likes to turn itself off. Keep in mind I have an original one. The next generation GP looks to be much improved with a better display.

That said the Contour appears to be better; easier to use and from what I've read a better picture. It does not require a plastic box and has lasers to help align the camera.

The camera I like the best is the Drift. The HD one comes with a remote and a built in LCD monitor.

I'll let you guys know what I think.

I went with the GoPro and have had no troubles so far. I like the plastic case it comes in, It makes it water proof up to 60meters underwater, very low wind noise and shock proof (still haven't crashed with it yet... so don't know how good the shock proof is) but on the pushbike its survived a few scrapes that would have killed most other cams, Just buy a new case and game on. Over all i find the GoPro a more versatile camera, sure it has it's drawn backs like no lcd monitor but you can buy one for it.

What's better, a GoPro or Contour?

The Contours are okay, but they are not durable.

We've been three of the stupid things. They just quit working after awhile, suggesting they are made with the cheapest possible components.

I don't hear those complaints about the GoPro.

All of my friends use the GP-HD and the standard one. The GP-HD has a great picture and I can attest that the plastic case holds up through multiple crashes at the track.

The only bad thing Ive heard about the Contour is that the mic is horrible, basically all you will hear is the wind rushing by. Now they have the GP-HD2 which is supposed to resolve some of the older issues. That means that the price for the current HD will drop to an affordable price!!!

Check this out !

GoPro launches HD Hero2 and WiFi accessory allowing video streaming: Digital Photography Review

* Professional 11MP Sensor
* 2x Faster Image Processor
* 2x Sharper Glass Lens
* Professional Low Light Performance
* Full 170º, Medium 127º, Narrow 90º FOV in 1080p and 720p Video
* 120 fps WVGA, 60 fps 720p, 48 fps 960p, 30 fps 1080p Video
* Full 170º and Medium 127º FOV Photos
* 10 11MP Photos Per Second Burst
* 1 11MP Photo Every 0.5 Sec Timelapse Mode
* 3.5mm External Stereo Microphone Input
* Simple Language-based User Interface
* Compatible with Wi-Fi BacPac™ and Wi-Fi Remote™
* Long Range Remote Control of up to 50 GoPro Cameras per Wifi Remote
* Wi-Fi Video/Photo Preview, Playback and Control via GoPro App
* Live Streaming Video and Photos to the Web

GPHero2tech.jpg

I'd love to see the ability to remotely mount the GoPro LCD so I can see it while riding... also the ability to start and stop recording without letting go of the grips... like using the signals or horn. ;)

I got the camera tonight and I am very impressed with it.

The build is a very high quality, doesn't look cheap, the laser aim works great, and the controls are dirt simple; one simple slide switch to begin recording, and youknow it's on. I also like the rotating lens and simple mounts. This thing is the Apple of personal cams.

For $108 this is a very hard deal to beat for a 1080p cam.

As far as quality here's a vid shot by Wavex from the FZ6 Forum.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2mB_WcfIo]SoCal Ride with Cali Rider - 10/8/11 - YouTube[/ame]

i just got mine. I havent had a chance to ride w it tho. the weight of this thing is great. I wanna mount mine on my helmet, ride around town and make a video of all the douche bags that drive aggressively around bikes. lol I cant wait to get out to the sisters and get some vid. oh but then u guys will know how bad I ride! lol.

Thats actually a pretty good picture quality and it doesnt seem to have that "fishbowl" look the GO-HD has when recording at high quality. Maybe I should look into this?

Thats actually a pretty good picture quality and it doesnt seem to have that "fishbowl" look the GO-HD has when recording at high quality. Maybe I should look into this?

Right, the this particular camera uses a 135 degree lens. Most Go Pros are 170. That said Contour does sell cameras with a wider lens.

For my next track day I'm going to run my Contour up front and my Go Pro looking forward from the back of the bike. With the 170 lens the Go Pro will be perfect for the rear end shot!

ewwww. well I mounted mine on the top of my helmet. and of course it rains today. it comes w a tether to attach the camera to the mount. I went one further and connected both to my chin strap via 20 lbs test fishing line and parts from a leader. dont wanna lose the mount or the camera...:woot:

I use a Drift HD170 and it's fantastic. I'm about to by an updated version so i can run 2 instead of doing several runs from different positions.
My Drift has "gone down the road" and still works.

i rode to work w it yesterday and I have it set on 960p tall and it seemed very stretched. I am having an issue w the storyteller software. it was getting choppy. i looked @ the same vid on windows media and it was much better no chop or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back