Colorado 2014

Hey Oldschool, I have some potentially "less than ideal" news for you. From your tracks, it looks like you will be riding the San Juan mountains around August 2nd, in which case you will be sharing the trails with the last day of a big jeep event running from 7/27-8/2 in Silverton. This got posted on the RMAR rally thread yesterday.

The RMAR Pre-Rondy and Rendezvous will be moved to Meeker this year, due to a conflicting Jeep event in Silverton.

Dates remain unchanged.

Pre-Rondy: July 27-30
Rendezvous July 31 - Aug 3

Since we scheduled and announced the 2014 RMAR Rendezvous last year, the Mile High Jeep Club has decided to hold their annual event in Silverton.

As of today, 335 Jeepers are already confirmed and they are expecting 500-600 in Silverton at the same time as the RMAR Rendezvous. This means there would be literally hundreds of Jeeps on the same roads and trails we typically use. The roads and trails will be unusable and miserable for motorcyclists. Also, the Jeepers will fill the hotels, motels and restaurants. In short, RMAR cannot provide you the experiences in Silverton this year with the Jeepers in town.

As a result, the RMAR Board of Directors has decided to move the Rendezvous to Meeker, Colorado at the same time as we would have been in Silverton.

Sooo, Lytehouse and I likely won't be in the San Juans/Telluride area to meet up with you. I might still do the rally in Meeker, but I'll also look more closely at your tracks and see if another rendezvous point may work.

Thanks

Hey Oldschool, I have some potentially "less than ideal" news for you. From your tracks, it looks like you will be riding the San Juan mountains around August 2nd, in which case you will be sharing the trails with the last day of a big jeep event running from 7/27-8/2 in Silverton. This got posted on the RMAR rally thread yesterday.

The RMAR Pre-Rondy and Rendezvous will be moved to Meeker this year, due to a conflicting Jeep event in Silverton.

Dates remain unchanged.

Pre-Rondy: July 27-30
Rendezvous July 31 - Aug 3

Since we scheduled and announced the 2014 RMAR Rendezvous last year, the Mile High Jeep Club has decided to hold their annual event in Silverton.

As of today, 335 Jeepers are already confirmed and they are expecting 500-600 in Silverton at the same time as the RMAR Rendezvous. This means there would be literally hundreds of Jeeps on the same roads and trails we typically use. The roads and trails will be unusable and miserable for motorcyclists. Also, the Jeepers will fill the hotels, motels and restaurants. In short, RMAR cannot provide you the experiences in Silverton this year with the Jeepers in town.

As a result, the RMAR Board of Directors has decided to move the Rendezvous to Meeker, Colorado at the same time as we would have been in Silverton.

Sooo, Lytehouse and I likely won't be in the San Juans/Telluride area to meet up with you. I might still do the rally in Meeker, but I'll also look more closely at your tracks and see if another rendezvous point may work.

For the Heads up. I won't be dissuaded, even if I have a day or two of dodging Jeeps on the trails. I tend to start out very early in a day and finish early so hopefully It won't be a huge problem. I didn't expect to have the trails to myself, considering how popular the whole area is with off-roaders of all descriptions.

The trip through Idaho last year was cool in that we traveled for hours without seeing anyone on some of the trails, but that was unusual. The year before on one rally we had to dodge logging trucks (on narrow roads) in BC which wasn't fun. The scenery totally made up for those minor hiccups.

I will just make the best of what ever comes my way, be it weather or Jeep people. All part of the adventure. I will be on my guard though, maybe more so than usual (no big drifts around blind corners) thank in part to the heads up from you. I do still hope that we can cross paths along the way, and will keep you posted along our route. My SPOT tracker will allow you to see where I am anytime during the trip. I only shut it down at night (when I remember).

Itinerary

Woohoo! No time at all

Trip Itinerary

In case anyone would like to hook up along the way, since at least one member has expressed interest, here is my basic plan.

July 26th Saturday
Choteau, MT (17 miles west of on gravel)
GPS coordinates: N47 41.051 W112 29.983
Pishkun Reservoir Camp
Approximate arrival Time: 5 p.m.

July 27th Sunday
US 20, ID (18 miles north of Ashton, ID)
GPS coordinates: N44 15.734 W111 27.254
Riverside Campground
Approximate arrival Time: 4 p.m.

July 28th Monday
Pinedale, WY (7 miles NE of Pinedale, WY)
GPS coordinates: N42 56.189 W109 45.625
Half Moon Lake Campground
Approximate arrival Time: 4 p.m.

July 29th Tuesday
Hahn's Peak campground, CO (30 miles north of Steamboat)
GPS coordinates: N40° 50.367' W106° 59.681'
Hahn's Peak Camp
Approximate arrival Time: 5:30 p.m

July 30th Wednesday
Gypsum, CO (2 miles west off I-70)
GPS coordinates: N39° 38.872' W107° 00.054'
Riverdance RV Campground
Approximate arrival Time: 5 p.m

July 31st Thursday
Buena Vista, CO
GPS coordinates: N38 49.271 W106 05.554
Buena Vista KOA
Approximate arrival Time: 6 p.m

August 1st Friday
Lake City, CO (9miles east of Lake City)
GPS coordinates: N37 59.172 W107 13.443
Slumigdon Pass Camp
Approximate arrival Time: 4 p.m

August 2nd & 3rd Saturday & Sunday
Teluride, CO (4miles south of Teluride,CO)
GPS coordinates: N37 53.309 W107 53.404
Sunshine Campground
Approximate arrival Time: 4 p.m on 2nd and 5 pm on 3rd.

I'll do the trip back on a separate post.

Last edited:
What a great itinerary! I'm going to keep that week open. Your Monday arrival in Pinedale is doable if I leave early Sunday. 1000 km to Missoula and then meet you Monday afternoon. Two days back home to get to work on time :)

What a great itinerary! I'm going to keep that week open. Your Monday arrival in Pinedale is doable if I leave early Sunday. 1000 km to Missoula and then meet you Monday afternoon. Two days back home to get to work on time :)

Apparently there is a fantastic Pizza Joint in Pinedale and I think it is paved up to Halfmoon lake. There is so far, three of us going. My trip partner from last year's endeavor, and one of the guys from the Moab trip.

Last edited:
Paved is good. Paved is very good.

By the way, I noticed you had a Spot tracker and was wondering if you knew about Spotwalla. I was turned on to Spotwalla by Doug here and I use it for my tracking now. It seems slicker and easier to use than Spot's site tracker

Return trip

August 4th Monday
Gunnison, CO (15 miles west of Gunnison on US 50)
GPS coordinates: N38 28.063 W107 10.099
Curecanti National Rec Area
Approximate arrival Time: 4 p.m

August 5th Tuesday
New Castle, CO (2 miles north on County road 245)
GPS coordinates: N39 36.015 W107 33.327
Elk Creek Campground
Approximate arrival Time: 5 p.m

August 6th Wednesday
Rawlins, WY
GPS coordinates: N41 46.792 W107 13.776
Rawlins KOA

August 7th Thursday
Cody, WY (9 miles west of Cody on US 14/16/20)
GPS coordinates: N44 30.037 W109 14.055
North Shore Bay Campground

August 8th Friday
White Sulphur Springs, MT (24 miles north on Hwy 89)
GPS coordinates: N46 45.832 W110 47.054
Jumping Creek Campground
Approximate arrival Time: 7 p.m

August 9th Saturday
Calgary, AB (home)
Approximate arrival Time: 7 p.m

Last edited:
Paved is good. Paved is very good.

By the way, I noticed you had a Spot tracker and was wondering if you knew about Spotwalla. I was turned on to Spotwalla by Doug here and I use it for my tracking now. It seems slicker and easier to use than Spot's site tracker

I knew about it but have not taken the time to link my spot to that site.

Finished tweaking Tracks

I have added an alternate track south of Battle creek seeing as Google Earth and maps can't seem to agree with the Garmin maps as to whether the road actually exists (all the way through). There were a few other minor additions, etc and it is as accurate now as I can get it before I actually ride it.

The crew that is going is pictured here (I'm behind the lens as usual).

Time remaining until lift off: 14 days, 18 hours and 40 minutes. Not that I'm counting.... ;)>

The Players:

Paul; AKA -PabloX.

51 year old Virgo; Single but always looking, adventurous, fighting his inner desire to buy a Harley. Chief Mechanic.

Ian; no known aliases.

58 year old Scorpio; Quiet, thoughtful with a wry sense of humour, fitness nut that makes the rest of us youngsters look bad. Outdoor and weapons expert.

Lee; AKA - Oldschool - Lycan1.
49 year old Scorpio; Explorer at heart, strange sense of humor, Still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Navigator & Photojournalist.

The Machines:

Suzuki DRZ 400; (Ian's Ride), mostly stock (with a big after-market tank)& well maintained.

KLR 650, Paul's Ride; (bored to 690 and piped obnoxiously loud )with upgraded suspension.

KTM 990 Adventure; (My Ride) All sorts of little upgrades and lots of miles.

Attachments

• Calgary to Colorado 2014-modified.gpx
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Keeping Me Waiting

[video=youtube;4NwP3wes4M8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NwP3wes4M8[/video]

It has been a long week already. I was packed and bike prepped this past weekend. Business has been slow at work, which just exacerbates the problem, as it feels like a waste of time. The waiting is the hardest part!

[video=youtube;uMyCa35_mOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg[/video]

Last edited:
The Final Countdown

This time tomorrow I will be meeting my buddies for breakfast before setting out on the trip. Had this song going through my head on the way to work, even whistling it in my helmet. :eek:

[video=youtube;9jK-NcRmVcw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw&list=WL&index=1[/video]

Ah, the big-hair days.......I remember having hair ;)

Last edited:
Departure Morning!

The bike is packed and pointed at the Garage door, and in about an hour I'll roll out to meet my friends at Cora's for breakfast. We should be rolling out of Calgary by 08:30. I doubt I'll have the ability to post up tonight, but I'll update from Montana if I can.

Today's theme;

[video=youtube;s9-y-E0ACRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9-y-E0ACRM[/video]

Long months of planning and preparing are over, the journey is upon us. So it Begins!

Back