clutch cable install

Hopefully there isn't much to it, just figured it couldn't hurt to ask and a quick search didn't produce any results

just got the bike (08 fz1) a month ago. Been using it to commute to and from work and last week the clutch cable started fraying on me. Since I just got the bike I don't have a service manual or anything yet.

I just got the new cable in the mail today and plan to do the install over the weekend. Looked quickly at the cable routing and it seems to be tucked in there pretty good

can anyone walk me through the process of what (if anything) needs to be removed to get access or point me in the right direction of the thread if such thread exists

thanks in advance

If it's not secured anywhere underneath, you can tie the new cable to the old and just use the old to pull it through.

Otherwise, get ready to pull the tank to get at the area underneath. Never had to replace mine, but either way shouldn't be too difficult.

How many miles on the bike that it needs a new cable already?

26k miles. It's that damn angle right by the clutch lever, puts so much strain on the cable. I swear the amount of force needed to pull the leaver (compared to my 07 CBR600rr) is ridiculous! Anyway, the cable isn't expensive, it's just a hassle. And having to ride my CBR to work all week instead has been the bigger headache (long commute, want my upright bike back in working order)

thanks for the idea about attaching the two cables together. Don't know if it will work, but definitely worth a shot.

Anyone else with some know how to share with me?

So nobody on this entire forum has changed their clutch cable?

I appreciate the heads up I've gotten so far, just looking to hear from someone who has actually done this so I know first hand

Sorry. I just paid to have my clutch and throttle cables replaced. It can't be that hard because I think I was charged 1.5 hours.

So I did the install last night

you will need to lift the tank, and those precurved bends make for a little bit of a headache. There is VERY little room to get at the adjuster under the tank and patience is key. Of all the bikes I've ever worked on, this was the most work by far I've had to do to simply change a cable

but its done now and the bike rode great on the commute this morning

Sweet. After reading posts here and the other site, the was no way I was messing with it. Both the dealer and a local indy quoted me 1.5 hours.

Had to do this myself recently.. Was pretty easy in the end. Easier than I was expecting. I did lift the tank, but was no big deal..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I too am surprised that it needs to be replaced. I have 48K on my 07 and its like new. Where did it fray? I assume at a barrel end?

Did you lube the barrel ends on the new cable? I prefer to use anti-sieze, as my main intent is to allow the barrel to slide freely.

Mine was frayed.

I noticed mine was starting to fray at 22000 miles. Since I was doing the valve adjustment anyway I replaced it when all the stuff was off. I had to reroute it when I installed the FZ6 handlebars but you are somewhat limited due to the metal sleeve that it runs through underneath the airbox. It would be easier to work with if it was all flexible cable under there. I also lubed it with Dri-Slide when I installed it so hopefully it will last longer this time.

Back