Chain cleaning

Utah06FZ1

I am due for a good chain cleaning, The manual says to break the chain and then soak in kerosene to clean. Is there a good way to clean without breaking the chain? I have a chain breaker and riveting tool so its no big deal, Just seeing if there is an easier way.

I just use a good chain cleaner(motul) and a bristle brush. Wipe excess off then lube. I do this every week or so. I have 16000 on my original and it looks like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a shallow plastic tub with kerosene and a old tooth brush. One section at a time with the tub held under the chain, and just be liberal with the kerosene and brushing all sides of the chain. wipe off the excess as you go with a good absorbent rag. Let it dry, warm it up with a quick ride around the block and lube. Done.

I always clean the ridge of dirt and lube off the rear sprocket teethat the same time that I do the chain.

What is everyone using to lube their chains? I Use chainwax it is a carryover from desert riding where normal lubes pick up the sand is that good for the FZ1?

All a matter of preference. The most important thing is that you clean and lube it regularly. I always used chain wax on my FZ, but have started using Belray Black on my dual sport. They all pick up dirt (some more than others). Just clean it regularly and the chain and sprockets will last much longer. If you have light colored wheels you may appreciate the wax type more.

Thanks, So I take it is not necessary to break the chain every time you need to clean the chain.

Of course not!

In my experience the best way to clean the chain is with kerosene + stiff paint brush.

You put some cardboard paper around the tire and cover other parts you might want to protect + 15 minutes of your time and the chain is like new :)

If it is not extremely dirty/rusty you can use a rag well wetted with either kerosene or WD-40 and just wipe it down with the rag, dry and then lube. I use the DuPont Teflon Chain Lube (Lowe's or HomeDepot) every second ride and clean it every 1,000 miles or so. If it is dirtier use a Grunge Brush.

I use Maxima chain lube after every few rides for normal commuting. Once a day for longer trips. My old bike doesn't have a center stand, so I had to pop it up on the lift to do the chain. With the FZ1, it takes about five minutes to pull in to the garage, pop it up on the center stand, spray on some lube, and wipe off the excess.

When it comes to a good, thorough cleaning, I use a rag soaked in kerosene and a grunge brush. I don't take it off the bike, just put something underneath to catch the drippings.

When I bought my bike used last year it was apparent that the chain had never been cleaned or probably lubed in its 5,000 miles. I used a grunge brush and some degreaser / cleaner the brush came with and the chain cleaned up in seconds, looks almost new.

Usually if the chain is not really dirty I will just spray the snot out of it with WD40 real good and wipe it down. Then lube it with what every you desire. I use the DuPont Teflon personally, cheap and seems to work well.

All a chain really needs is one real good cleaning and then maintain it every 500 miles or so, it wont build up with grim if you stay on top of it.

Last edited:
I use a chain cleaner and a brush, and a hose, (might as well wash the bike while I'm at it!) and I also use a wax, pretty sure it's Maxim. A lot less "fling" to clean up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could use a burnishing wheel on an angle grinder if you want to polish it up. Think its good for removing paint and rust aswell. :blowing_kisses:

I use Kerosene and one of these

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-DRIVE-CHAIN-CLEANING-CLEANER/dp/B005SUYP94"]Amazon.com: MOTORCYCLE ATV BIKE DRIVE CHAIN CLEANING CLEANER BRUSH: Everything Else[/ame]

These brushes are really nice. About $15 and worth every penny.
I also cut up a cardboard box and made a liner between the chain and the rest of my bike. It prevents the chain goop (scientific term) from getting all over your bike while you are scrubbing the chain.

I use Kerosene and one of these

Amazon.com: MOTORCYCLE ATV BIKE DRIVE CHAIN CLEANING CLEANER BRUSH: Everything Else

These brushes are really nice. About $15 and worth every penny.
I also cut up a cardboard box and made a liner between the chain and the rest of my bike. It prevents the chain goop (scientific term) from getting all over your bike while you are scrubbing the chain.

Yea, those brushes work really well. I had one and seem to have "misplaced" it so I'll have to pick up another one :)

Back