Basic Lane Sharing Footage

In another thread we were discussing lane sharing and I said I would post up a video. Here is a short clip of a video of Lane Sharing on a SoCal Freeway.

This footage was taken with a GoPro on the helmet, so the fish eye lens distorts the footage slightly,but you can see in general just how much room there is for the rider, and how many cars give extra room.

This is typical of most drivers on most days.

Basic Raw Lane Sharing Footage - YouTube

I think I will try to update this first post with new Videos from time to time.

Just another day in the life of a lane sharing commuter. People often ask me about Lane Sharing on the freeway because they think it is "soooo dangerous". Most are surprised when I explain it is safer than getting rear ended by a car that fails to slow down, and I get crushed into the vehicle in front of me. Here is a clip of Lane Sharing where a vehicle puts on his blinker AS he is moving over and obviously has not used his mirrors to check for bikes. As you can see there is plenty of time to slow down and avoid any collision, and this kind of thing rarely happens, but as long as you are careful and stay alert you will be fine. Also if you skip forward to 1:20 you will see a CHP Officer also lane sharing, and at a much higher rate of speed than the person recording the video. Go ahead, tell the CHP they are being unsafe, see how well that goes over.

http://youtu.be/OJGR2CkExls

Last edited:
I have no problem with lane filtering. I do hope it becomes legal where I live.

Even if it does it will be a few years and several million in public service announcements before I do it. ;) Why? Because people in Texas will have no clue that the law went in to effect and they WILL try to kill me.

I posted this more for those who feel it is too dangerous to be between the cars to show just how much room there is.

Granted California has allowed it for a very long time so most drivers here are used to it and as you can see many move over and make extra room.

I do see your point that even if it was made legal in other states there would be a time period for drivers to get used to it.

In AZ, if a car feels/sees a motorcycle coming up behind them they immediately try to block the whole lane.

I love, absolutely love in CA, how they drivers all hug that left side of the lane and make space. I even like how the other biker got out of the way.

AZ is ridiculous, and whenever I think about lane sharing here because the a bill was passed 2 years ago, but the governor vetoed it saying that she didn't think the AZ drivers could not adapt well enough to be safe. AKA AZ drivers are idiots and incapable of learning.

One of the last freedoms that we are afforded. Funny how Ca is the progressive state on this.
I would say that you go faster than me when the traffic is broken. To me, thats the point when the risk is highest. Too easy for a car to decide to change lanes and take you out.

Im more comfortable when traffic is thicker. I still dont go that fast, but to each his own.

I have developed the habit of runnin with my high beams on, and doin a bit of a weave to give the effect of a headlight modulator. And ofcourse covering the front brake and the horn (which I use very quickly. Rather be safe than sorry). Also, keepin an eye on your rearview mirrors cause there is always someone faster that may want to pass.

One of the last freedoms that we are afforded. Funny how Ca is the progressive state on this.
I would say that you go faster than me when the traffic is broken. To me, thats the point when the risk is highest. Too easy for a car to decide to change lanes and take you out.

Im more comfortable when traffic is thicker. I still dont go that fast, but to each his own.

I have developed the habit of runnin with my high beams on, and doin a bit of a weave to give the effect of a headlight modulator. And ofcourse covering the front brake and the horn (which I use very quickly. Rather be safe than sorry). Also, keepin an eye on your rearview mirrors cause there is always someone faster that may want to pass.

I will admit that I travel faster than the specifics of the law states in most cases. Only allowing a 10mph differential in speed feels more dangerous to me when I am on the bike because I have to slow down and speed up more often to try and stay within 10mph of the traffic around me. I have always felt that keeping an even steady speed is the safest way to approach anything, especially lane splitting. Even if I am going 30-40mph and traffic is going 5-15mph I have enough time to react to others and slow down, find an out, move over etc. I know I am riding within my own skill and abilities at those speeds.

I do agree with you that when traffic is more open people do tend to change lanes more often, because there is now a gap to move into. My feeling is the most dangerous time to be splitting is when traffic is slowing down or speeding up, this is when drivers tend to fill those gaps, so I try to be extra alert at those time, make myself aware of the gaps that have formed and watch for cars that might demonstrate the desire to fill those said gaps.

And for as fast as I was going, I am by no means the fastest guy out there. Just this morning I got passed by a guy moving way too fast for traffic conditions. I will try to grab a clip of that.

I grew up in England where lane filtering was legal during my 21 years of riding there. So lane filtering was natural when I started riding in Cali. Fingers over the front brakes in heavy traffic, total concentration and I have had no problems. I don't do the high beam headlights though as I believe that is just a false sense of security.

In Quebec you wouldn't last a day on a bike lane splitting unfortunately. It's a "Everyman for himself" attitude here. Tried to merge into the left lane this morning and had a civic floor it to close the 2 car gap so I couldn't do it safely :(

And for as fast as I was going, I am by no means the fastest guy out there

True. Not baggin on ya; like I said, everyone has thier way.

I don't do the high beam headlights though as I believe that is just a false sense of security.

Oh, trust me, I dont count on it. Its just another tool in the shed.

total concentration and I have had no problems.

Ya, I definately get in "The Zone".

Guys since we have some experienced lane splitting riders wouldn't it be nice to start a post on safety tips and things to watch out for, I am in Los Angeles CA and can't imagine not lane splitting, high beam is a good idea since low beam is not visible in car drivers rear view mirrors, it doesn't give any sense of security but it's sure nice to see how many drivers actually look in their rear view mirrors, some even move over to make room. I assume no body can see me & ride accordingly, freeway lane splitting is very different from surface street splitting but both are delightful :angel:

If it will be made into a Sticky for one of the sections I would be happy to add my suggestions. I have been doing it on a near daily basis for over 2 years now.

Just a comment on the high beams verses low beams, I read that high beams make it harder for people to judge distance, but I think we can all agree they are better for getting you noticed, and when on the bike getting noticed comes first. If they don't see you to begin with they won't be able to attempt to judge your speed.

I find that when a car sees me, they always hesitate. Happens a few times a week. A car will put on its blinker and start to move BEFORE checking the mirrors, and then see my approach and move back over and give me room.

It is the ones that never look, or just don't see good enough to see you that you must be careful of, and in those cases I tend to let them change lanes, or I hang back until they do see me before I pass.

No two scenarios are the same, and never assume they do see you.

If it will be made into a Sticky for one of the sections I would be happy to add my suggestions. I have been doing it on a near daily basis for over 2 years now.

Just a comment on the high beams verses low beams, I read that high beams make it harder for people to judge distance, but I think we can all agree they are better for getting you noticed, and when on the bike getting noticed comes first. If they don't see you to begin with they won't be able to attempt to judge your speed.

I find that when a car sees me, they always hesitate. Happens a few times a week. A car will put on its blinker and start to move BEFORE checking the mirrors, and then see my approach and move back over and give me room.

It is the ones that never look, or just don't see good enough to see you that you must be careful of, and in those cases I tend to let them change lanes, or I hang back until they do see me before I pass.

Yes we need a sticky for that topic, so much safety information can be posted.

I always assume that Im invisable.

When I started useing the "weave", it was apparent that more people noticed me and made room. It doesnt take much to have an effect. Try it for a week and see what you think.

Its a combination of being invisible & visible, for example being visible in an intersection when crossing alone or being invisible using a car/ SUV or a bus to shield you from a left turning impatient driver in an intersection.

staying in your lane like cars do is not a good idea, the whole road is potential escape routes, always aim between cars not behind them.

lane splitting symbol

What better describes lane splitting than a sidewinder snake, I have two on the front fairing I like the look.

What better describes lane splitting than a sidewinder snake, I have two on the front fairing I like the look.

That describes weaving, or rapid lane changing (the difference is having a blinker in use), and I would have to say that is a less safe way to lane share. You do not need to move around in order to stay visible.

That describes weaving, or rapid lane changing (the difference is having a blinker in use), and I would have to say that is a less safe way to lane share. You do not need to move around in order to stay visible.

I don't weave to be visible I mostly go in straight lines but some slight weaving is needed to clear side mirrors on surface streets, the fluidity of riding is what the symbol stands for. weaving for no reason actually looks stupid & car drivers assume you are reckless.

oh, I get what you are saying. I do most of my lane sharing on the freeway with big wide lanes and you can see from my footage I don't have to move around all the much to avoid mirrors. Surface streets is a whole different story, sometimes I have to go so slow I need to put my feet down and roll very slowly between some cars.

I would have to say that is a less safe way to lane share.

Like most things in life, its a matter of degrees. My "weave" is about 6". Again, until you give it a fair shake, you dont know what your missing. The biggest downside to lanesharing is the danger of a cage not seeing you when you come alongside.

Back