Arrow vs Yoshimura headers

Wow! I'm a bit surprised by how little the stock bike loses out to the other two, especially in the rev range where the bike spends most of its time on the road. Blanchy's bike is certainly a clear winner in the mid-range but at the very top end you would be hard pressed to feel the difference.

I reckon I could save quite a bit of money, and a little bit of weight by punching out the catalysts and reducing that power gap above 9k. Otherwise an exhaust system is about bling, noise and saving weight. Pick your order of importance.

I think you should ride mine 1st. The top end is hypothetical unless racing but the extra punch in the middle is very noticeable. Doesn't look like much on the dyno though.

Did you guys get the AFR reading or just a power run ? I Still wonder if running Ivans map ( made for the Yosh ) Hurts the Arrows performance on the dyno .

Nope not really, here is the chart of a map I had done custom on the same dyno in late 2013 (just after I got Ivan's ECU flash).

It was done with the dB killer fitted and the result is almost identical to Ivan's PCV map.

BTW we didn't get the AFR reading just a power run.

Last edited:
Interesting reading - would be interesting to know what power I am getting running stock headers and gutted cat with Ivan's ecu. Guess it's not much point doing a dyno run being it would have to be a different dyno and its not on the same day as well. I had no idea that the Db killer had that much effect on both torque and power and here I was thinking about putting mine back in :) Thanks for the info guys

Don't worry Blanchy, I've been looking up the price of Yoshi R77 Systems on eBay. Less than $1k delivered is tempting.

I don't need the power (yet) but the weight saving would be nice especially if it comes without much more noise. I think I should improve my riding ability and the bike's handling first though.

Banzai - I am talking with Yoshi in the states and the Aus distributor Serco ATM about a system. The only thing available is the carbon version and even that is not in Aus. So unless you buy from an internet company it 5-6 weeks delay. Saying that Yoshi is finding out how quickly they can get a run of Stainless cans and or Titanium and carbon end cap systems. Then its just waiting for Serco's next shipment. I am actually hoping that I can get a mid pipe and headers to match with my TCR slip on, which Yoshi are thinking they might be able to do.

But if you wanting to buy local then a friend of mine is a Serco distributor so I am hoping he can do a better price than what I am being quoted every where else. Send me a PM if your interested in knowing the outcome. So far here in Qld I am being quoted $940 for a full system, which is actually better than what Ivan can do because of the freight (totally out of his control that we are so far away lol)

. I am actually hoping that I can get a mid pipe and headers to match with my TCR slip on, which Yoshi are thinking they might be able to do.

The only reason I went with Arrow headers is that they are the only company that make headers that will work with an after market slip on that fit the stock headers. I wanted to keep my Micron slip on. If Yoshi make a set of headers to match an after market slip on I'd be very tempted to make the switch.

Jeff, who joined us at the Dyno with his Honda CBR954rr is in negotiation for an FZ1N. Hopefully we will see him on here soon.

Might have to think about another FZ ride for Sydney-ish owners.

Jeff, who joined us at the Dyno with his Honda CBR954rr is in negotiation for an FZ1N. Hopefully we will see him on here soon.

Might have to think about another FZ ride for Sydney-ish owners.

Cool, he did say that he enjoyed riding your bike home that day.

What did you think of his CBR954?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The only reason I went with Arrow headers is that they are the only company that make headers that will work with an after market slip on that fit the stock headers. I wanted to keep my Micron slip on. If Yoshi make a set of headers to match an after market slip on I'd be very tempted to make the switch.

Yep, same here.

Only Arrow and Holeshot currently make headers that fit any slip-on.

Micron used to make an excellent header for the FZ1, it worked similar to the Yoshi but good luck finding one now.

I'm not a fan of the shiny Yoshi piping though, it looks like a pita to keep clean.

My bike still screams and simple gearing changes can make up for the performance lost.

I won't be changing to a Yoshi just yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I ride a black bike - keeping my slip on clean is the least of my dramas ;). All the Australian dealers say that you can't get Yoshi headers, but I talked with one of the R&D guys at Yoshi (Don) and he says yes you can BUT they are trying to find some laying around or I will have to wait for a production run. I originally looked at going with Arrow headers until I was quoted $1500 from the Aus distributor plus a mid pipe section which he wasn't sure of the price. I politely said F THAT and went looking into the Yoshi solution lol. But in regards to the cleaning - with a decent polish on there when I got the bike its no drama - except when I spilt a can of coke on a hot pipe.....

I ride a black bike - keeping my slip on clean is the least of my dramas ;). All the Australian dealers say that you can't get Yoshi headers, but I talked with one of the R&D guys at Yoshi (Don) and he says yes you can BUT they are trying to find some laying around or I will have to wait for a production run. I originally looked at going with Arrow headers until I was quoted $1500 from the Aus distributor plus a mid pipe section which he wasn't sure of the price. I politely said F THAT and went looking into the Yoshi solution lol. But in regards to the cleaning - with a decent polish on there when I got the bike its no drama - except when I spilt a can of coke on a hot pipe.....

WOW, I wasn't quoted that much for Arrow headers here in Oz, but they said it would take a while to get them in stock, so I bought mine off of ebay for half of what you were quoted. I was only quoted slightly more than I paid for them, but they couldn't guarantee a delivery date.

What did you think of his CBR954?
Jeff had already tested an FZ1. I think he was trying to find reasons not to buy one. Sanity prevailed in the end.

The Honda had nice easy torque and the engine felt very smooth, possibly smoother than the FZ. Don't think I could sit in the supersports position for too long though. Too old and too fat :D

I ride a black bike - keeping my slip on clean is the least of my dramas ;). All the Australian dealers say that you can't get Yoshi headers, but I talked with one of the R&D guys at Yoshi (Don) and he says yes you can BUT they are trying to find some laying around or I will have to wait for a production run.
Interesting that the Australian dealers can't get Yoshi headers when they are all over eBay. I imagine that is from a previous batch. Manufacturers do tend to make things in batches.

I'm not too fussed about shiny stainless steel. I know it looks good but I wonder about getting the headers and mid-pipe ceramic coated in black.

Last edited:
I'm sure if you went to an engineering company that works in stainless, you could get them brush finished. Probably take about an hour to do it.

Is it possible for a welder to mod the headers so they could match a different manufacturer's slip on (saying Mivv...)?
If this is possible will the results be the same as a full yoshimura system or i should stick with my decated stock headers?

Try here and inquire about shipping. It's free to me but they do say they will work with International orders. Yamaha FZ1 Headers by Arrow (2006-2011)

Is it possible for a welder to mod the headers so they could match a different manufacturer's slip on (saying Mivv...)?
If this is possible will the results be the same as a full yoshimura system or i should stick with my decated stock headers?
You can likely get a lead gasket that will match up the two i doubt theres much difference between slip on sizing.

Back