Arrow vs Yoshimura headers

In what started in another thread, Blanchy and myself have decided to take our bikes to a local dyno tuner here in Sydney, Trevor from Doin Bikes.

Blanchy has an Ivan's flashed ECU with a full Yoshimura R77 system while I also have Ivan's ECU flash but with a full Arrow Dark system.

We are going to do a couple of power runs each, one with full open exhaust and the other with the db killers fitted. We will both be using the PCV map that came with Ivan's ECU flash.

While we aren't comparing the systems just on one bike, it should still give us a fairly good idea of the differences between the two exhaust systems and how they perform with Ivan's flash and PCV package.

The dyno shootout will be happening at 10:30am this Saturday 19th at MAS Motorcycles in Chipping Norton, (South West Sydney) as Trevor's dyno is located there.

Once we receive the results we will post them up here, it should be interesting to see how they both perform.

Are all the other mods close? Aftermarket air filter? airbox mod? flies? velocity stacks?

Now if we could find two more... a full Graves system and a Holeshot system. :D

Looking forward to the results!

Do either of you by chance have stock dyno numbers? Just curious to see what they started with. I'm sure 4 strokes aren't quite as drastic but 2 strokes can vary quite a bit from motor to motor.

Are all the other mods close? Aftermarket air filter? airbox mod? flies? velocity stacks?

Now if we could find two more... a full Graves system and a Holeshot system. :D

Looking forward to the results!

I'm running a modded airbox with DNA air filter while Blanchy is running a stock airbox with BMC filter. There may be a couple of hp difference in the top end?

same rear tires? do you have your before/after graphs from original tunes?

We have different rear tyres and I also have after market levers and LED indicators ;)

Seriously though this is just for shits and giggles, obviously to get a true indication both exhausts would need to be mounted on just 1 bike and then dyno tuned.

We don't have the time nor money to do that, but we are curious to see if the midrange gains of the Yoshimura are substantially more than the Arrow.

Top end will be a few hp either way and is not what we are interested in comparing.

At the very least, we are comparing them on the same dyno and on the same day.

Last edited:
Coming late to this post but what was the outcome Ballmead ? I know you told me the Yoshi is better but I'd love to see the results.

We have different rear tyres and I also have after market levers and LED indicators ;)

Seriously though this is just for shits and giggles, obviously to get a true indication both exhausts would need to be mounted on just 1 bike and then dyno tuned.

We don't have the time nor money to do that, but we are curious to see if the midrange gains of the Yoshimura are substantially more than the Arrow.

Top end will be a few hp either way and is not what we are interested in comparing.

At the very least, we are comparing them on the same dyno and on the same day.

i'm aware its for shits n gigs, i'm just saying what are the differences that actually make a difference to a dyno. a rear tire does significantly.

Keep in mind Ivans map was designed for the Yosh header not the Arrow. That may effect the results as much as the design of the different headers does. I'd like to see the AFR ratio and see how close that is between the two bikes along with HP and torque.

Did you do your runs yet or is the day just getting started in OZ? The biggest difference that one would expect to see here is in the mid range. The Yosh should provide close to 10hp gain at around 7.5k rpm. Top RPM differences between the headers should be small with the other various differences playing their roles as well. Looking forward to the results . . .

Ok, yesterday was fun, it was all over and done with really quickly.

Looking at the charts the Yoshi was the clear winner in the midrange while the Arrow made slightly more power up top.

The maps we ran were what Ivan supplies with his ECU flash, originally mapped with the Yoshimura R77 open exhaust.

Even still these maps and others I've seen point to the R77 having more power in the 4k to 5.5k rpm range then again at the 6k to 8k rpm range.

While not scientifically correct it still gives a decent comparison between the different bikes.

Here are the charts:

The first map is Banzai's stock FZ1:

Next up is the Yoshi R77 full system (Open exhaust vs dB killer fitted:

Next up is my Arrow Dark open vs dB killer fitted:

Next is the Arrrow Dark dB killer fitted (MAPBAFFLE - Blue) vs Yoshimura R77 with dB killer fitted (BAFFLE - Red):

Lastly all three bikes together. Both the Arrow (Blue) and Yoshimura (Red) bikes have their dB killers fitted vs Banzai's stock FZ1(Green) :

Back