Anyone ELSE Love the Gen II Stock Pipe Sound?

One thing both Norm and I noticed is how Yamaha somehow balanced the bike with that heavy canon mounted. With the stock exhaust, we can let go of the bars and ride straight as an arrow. When I do the same on my bike with the Two Bros, I have to lean to the left to compensate for the lighter can... :confused:

Shit yah! That makes sense now. I was riding the other day and I thought to myself, "damn I used to be able to ride hands free no problem and now I'm really fighting it..... I'm pretty rusty after the winter".
I switched the stock can to V&H Cs One at the end of last year.

Maybe it's because it sounds so much better than my stock FZ6, but I love the low, controlled growl of the stock pipe on my 2010. Or, maybe it's because it's all black?....:Rockon:

Oh sure, I may want a different pipe later, but I actually like it as is. Anyone else?

The stock pipe's sound? I personally like a quiet pipe so yes I do like the sound from the stock pipe . . . .

Not much else to like about it however. Ponderously heavy, bulky and restrictive. Stock header is also heavy and its tubing length is compromised to fit the second cat. . .

The sound produced by the full Yosh R77 setup is only marginally louder and performance and weight are on a whole n'other plane. Never looked back . . . .

I appreciate my FZ1 for it's ability to carve the corners and the thrust it can muster up when the grip is turned. I also have a great time on my 1980 XS 1100 SG. The fun a person gets out of a motorcycle (or anything else for that matter) is equal to what is put into the endeavor. Never had a bike I didn't like, even when they have a few quirks.

Yup! Stock pipe sounds excellent. FZ6 was whisper-quiet. FZ1 makes plenty of good noise.. not obnoxious.. just loud enough and plenty deep.
I changed mine out much more for the look than the sound. Dropping 10 pounds was a nice bonus too.

I'll be the first. There was nothing about the stock pipe I liked. It's like a muzzle on a Pitbull. I guess Kawi liked it because they went to the same supplier for the C14. Boat anchor is all I can say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think one of the reasons I like the stock pipe on the gen 2 is because they actually made an attempt to style it and make it look nice. It's not some enormous silver cylinder like they just hijacked a grain silo and bolted it on

Unlike, say...

2008-suzuki-gsx-650-_460x0w.jpg

Hideous.

I never could see the overall advantage of changing the stock pipe. The FZ1 will blow almost any four wheel vehicle off the road in speed and maneurverability and although some more power can be extracted from the engine it isn't necessary as you already have 125 bhp on tap as it comes from Japan. When the exhaust is changed in many cases the engine doesn't run as well and the sound is either obnoxious or a drone, or both. If you want to save some weight replace the exhaust shields with something like these feather lite carbon fiber shields, and remove the passenger pegs (if you don't ever take a passenger). Just doing these two things will save 3-4 lbs and make it all look better. I like the sound and look of the stock pipe with these mods; loud enough when you whack it open, yet quiet enough when you are cruising along. The stock pipe is maligned way too much.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I never could see the overall advantage of changing the stock pipe. The FZ1 will blow almost any four wheel vehicle off the road in speed and maneurverability and although some more power can be extracted from the engine it isn't necessary as you already have 125 bhp on tap as it comes from Japan. When the exhaust is changed in many cases the engine doesn't run as well and the sound is either obnoxious or a drone, or both. If you want to save some weight replace the exhaust shields with something like these feather lite carbon fiber shields, and remove the passenger pegs (if you don't ever take a passenger). Just doing these two things will save 3-4 lbs and make it all look better. I like the sound and look of the stock pipe with these mods; loud enough when you whack it open, yet quiet enough when you are cruising along. The stock pipe is maligned way too much.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg
Yep! look`s great,couldn`t agree more ,been down the track of spending a small fortune on modifying a bike,then some body on a stock standard sh##tbox fly`s pass me in the twisties,now I would rather spend the money improving my rideing skill`s,also when you want to sell it you get bugger all more for it.So these day`s I rather be the old bloke on the stock bike giving the young blokes a fright

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

That actually looks pretty good for the stock can.

Is that Bestem CF? Did they fit ok?

I have seen some nice CF bits for the exhaust like that from Powerbronze too.

That actually looks pretty good for the stock can.

Is that Bestem CF? Did they fit ok?

I have seen some nice CF bits for the exhaust like that from Powerbronze too.

Yes, Bestem. They fit fine, especially the back exhaust piece, but the front stock shield has a small tab on the back side which slides onto a small hook on the stock can. The CF shield does not have this tab as there is no way it could be put into the carbon fiber weave so the whole piece is held by the two hex bolts in front (stock mounting points). This works ok but it does not have quite the rigidity of the stock three point mounting. No problem so far in almost a year of use, I just check the mounting bolts every few hundred miles since you can't cinch them as tight because of the risk of cracking the CF.

Yes, Bestem. They fit fine, especially the back exhaust piece, but the front stock shield has a small tab on the back side which slides onto a small hook on the stock can. The CF shield does not have this tab as there is no way it could be put into the carbon fiber weave so the whole piece is held by the two hex bolts in front (stock mounting points). This works ok but it does not have quite the rigidity of the stock three point mounting. No problem so far in almost a year of use, I just check the mounting bolts every few hundred miles since you can't cinch them as tight because of the risk of cracking the CF.

If I ever get busted by the EPA or cops here in Oz, I might have to go that route one day.

BTW I would use some loctite on those bolts if you are worried about them coming loose

If I ever get busted by the EPA or cops here in Oz, I might have to go that route one day.

BTW I would use some loctite on those bolts if you are worried about them coming loose

Loctite is being used but with the extreme heat at that point I always wonder if it survives the high exhaust temps. I do use spring washers which seem to keep everything buttoned down.

Hey ballmead, I've got the same stuff on. You can check it out sometime if we ever get a meet up going? Also check ebay aust for the bestem its cheaper than US for some reason I paid about half price. The 1st set of heal guards I was sent looked like an ex Lada employee made them after a vodka lunch but they sent another set no probs and they're good.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

To each is own but that CF just makes the stock setup look even tackier IMHO.
That 125hp is way on top and in stock form the bike is downright anemic in midrange. Stock bike makes about 75hp at 7k with less than ideal fueling and throttle characteristics (particularly the early bikes). A full exhaust (along with some other upgrades which do cost a good chunk of $) can give you an honest 100hp at 7K with crisp fueling and lovely throttle. That is a humongous gain in useable power combined with about 15lbs of weight loss. You really don't think that you would like and make "good" use of those 25 midrange ponies?? Like I said, I have never looked back. . . .The stock pipe is a boat anchor with a cork stuck in it . . ..

@eurban - Glad it is your opinion. ;) But, have you ever stopped to think that a lot of the riders are not after mid-range ponies and like the tame meat of the bike? That they can live with a good street bike and then crank the max RPM and ponies WHEN they want and not most/all of the time? Like you said, to each their own... Yes, I'd love to have a more meaty mid-range myself but my wife on her FZ1? She's happy with the mid-range because she's not aggressive and loves the bike just the way it is. :tup:

Hey ballmead, I've got the same stuff on. You can check it out sometime if we ever get a meet up going? Also check ebay aust for the bestem its cheaper than US for some reason I paid about half price. The 1st set of heal guards I was sent looked like an ex Lada employee made them after a vodka lunch but they sent another set no probs and they're good.

:th_smiley_rotfl2[1] You had me on the floor with that one, but it's so true. I had to slightly elongate some of the mounting holes to get my cf heel guard covers to line up properly. You would think they wouldn't have that problem with such a simple part.

To each is own but that CF just makes the stock setup look even tackier IMHO.

That 125hp is way on top and in stock form the bike is downright anemic in midrange. Stock bike makes about 75hp at 7k with less than ideal fueling and throttle characteristics (particularly the early bikes). . . .The stock pipe is a boat anchor with a cork stuck in it . . ..

Eh, isn't that what transmissions are for? Even at an 'anemic' 75hp at 7k, and assuming a total weight of 700 lb fully loaded and fueled, this would equate to about 375hp if we are talking about a BMW, Audi, or Lexus type sports sedan (3500 lbs), and these sedans are putting out 300-325 hp MAX. Shift down a couple of gears and hit the 125hp and you would need about 625 hp in a car and that ain't happenin'. At the end of the day even a box stock FZ1 will blow cars off the road. For those that want to modify their machines to shuffle around the power curve and spend the dollars go ahead and have some fun. But many owners are happy with the power characteristics as it comes from the factory knowing a lot of power is available with a few taps of the left foot. There is not a right way or wrong way to buy and use these bikes.

Last edited:
Doesn't everyone drop two or three gears to pass? ;)

I painted the end caps matte black and now I think I'll do the same for the can itself. If I put it back on, it will blend well.

Does anyone have the stock can AND the Evotech hanger? I never checked to see if these line up and just assumed it would. It would suck to have to put the stock pillion brackets back on.... :(

Back