Another R1 fork conversion question and rear sets

Hey guys I know the R1 front fork conversion questions have been done to death but I have a more specific question related to this upgrade. I have seen conflicting information so hopefully I can get some clarification here.

I have purchased '06 R1 forks and calipers, where I'm a bit confused and where I have found conflicting information when I searched is with the front wheel axle. So what I'm not really clear on is can I do this mod and use the existing FZ1 front axle or do I have to acquire the R1 axle? I am off to do all the work tomorrow so any advice would be absolutely appreciated.

I have another unrelated question for you guys. Can anyone who has upgraded to after market rearsets recommend a brand to go with? Coming from sport bikes I have always been happy with Vortex for the quality and price but I'm not sure with the FZ1 if I would not be better off with another brand.

Here is the problem... :shaking head:

Last edited:
No worries, it was on the bottom of the page from the search I did.

I have a thread on my Ohlins conversion I did a while ago too. There's some info in there relating to the brake set up which may help you out too.

Rizoma make two nice rearsets for the FZ1, I like and plan on buying the Evo set which has the hinged pegs. Their lower level rearsets have non hinged pegs, both are fully adjustable though.

No worries, it was on the bottom of the page from the search I did.

I have a thread on my Ohlins conversion I did a while ago too. There's some info in there relating to the brake set up which may help you out too.

Rizoma make two nice rearsets for the FZ1, I like and plan on buying the Evo set which has the hinged pegs. Their lower level rearsets have non hinged pegs, both are fully adjustable though.

Great I will look into the Rizoma rear sets, I have always liked the way they look.

thank dicko for the information...
this is my upgraded project

Ohlins fork FGRT206
R1 6pot brake caliper
R1 front axel
Wheels bearing
customize clutch cable & brake hose

as for the rearset i using lightech.

Last edited:
Yes, you need the R1 front axle, and the bolt that secures it in place.

Yes, with 04-06 R1 calipers you can reuse your FZ1 wheel and disc.

BTW I would highly recommend installing an R1 master cylinder and steel braided brake lines while you're in there. Change the fork oil, too.

Last edited:
Yes, you need the R1 front axle, and the bolt that secures it in place.

Yes, with 04-06 R1 calipers you can reuse your FZ1 wheel and disc.

BTW I would highly recommend installing an R1 master cylinder and steel braided brake lines while you're in there. Change the fork oil, too.

you will also need to build/fabricate a bracket for the master if you get one from an R1.

I really like my Vortex rear sets on my FZ1 takes a little side cover modifying for the shifter.

Very nice, thanks for the glamour shots.

So I got the R1 forks/calipers on my bike and a hyper pro shock I previously purchased. Everything feels great and the only problem was when the shop dropped my bike off of their lift, ouch. Not to much damage and they have offered to replace everything. That got me thinking maybe I will go with the FZ1N or the FZ8 front end.

Thanks again to everyone for all the input. :D

Back