Almost bought an FZ1 Today

Folks,
Sorry for the long post, I guess sometimes I am just wordy. I am hoping to get some advice so I can actually buy the bike since I'm droolin'!

I test rode a used 09 FZ1 today. The bike was fantastic and I got almost everything I was hoping for in the ride. It was a relatively light bike with a great engine and comfortable body posture. What a rocket at anything above 8k RPM.

The only problem was the seat. As soon as I put my feet on the pegs to leave the parking lot I noticed it. The seat leaned so far forward my jewels were pressed against the tank. As I rode and slid ever more forward my pants would also pull up and be uncomfortable. I also had almost two inches of unused seat behind me (and I have a big behind). At the end of my 30 or so minute ride I already had hot spots on my inner thighs where most of my weight sat on the narrow part of the saddle.

The dealer said the seat was custom. We pulled it off, but I saw no brands or anything just a part number which I could not remember. Later today the dealer called and said he forgot he got two seats with the bike and the other that I did not try was a factory seat that the original owner reupholstered with extra foam. I didn't have time today and will have to wait until Tuesday for him to open back up and try the other seat out.

Anybody ever have these issues? Could (and I so hope so) it be that I just had a very awfully designed custom seat? I am no ironbutt guy, but I am certainly no princess either.

Stock seat is very neutral ... I've never noticed me being pitched forward or backward, and it's good for 100 miles before I need a butt break. Sounds like your custom seat wasn't built right.

The stock seat is hard as a brick. I have a Sargent which is good for a tank of fuel before you need to stretch.

FZ-1 is a great bike. Only thing it lacks is a gear indicator.

Yikes, the seat shown in the picture is horrible. I see why you were so uncomfortable.

That's NOT the seat he tested according to his note.

But I agree from the looks of the seat in the picture that it will not be a good experience. It's way too crowned and forward biased.

Get ahold of a stock seat, or perhaps the aftermarket one that Yamaha sells and use that as a baseline. You can't judge the bike on ill fitting custom seats. In my view the stock seat is not that bad for about 100 miles (a couple of hours), then take a short break and you are good to go again.

Last edited:
Stock seat is very neutral ... I've never noticed me being pitched forward or backward, and it's good for 100 miles before I need a butt break. Sounds like your custom seat wasn't built right.

:ditto: on the stock seat being more neutral. I have had the Gel comfy seat and the Sargent
seat and both slid me into the tank. I am thinking of having my gel seat redone with a little more material upfront to try and level it out.

The seat in that photo does look pretty bad, so even if that isn't the seat you test rode - I would say don't count on that turd. I have the stock one and a Corbin. Maybe my jewels are used to getting knocked in to the tank, but I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if that were the case (a jewel knocking is kind of hard to miss). If all of this doesn't work, you may want to modify your jewels - alternative tuck locations may help, or you could wear a cup.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses. @Laz, I hope your are joking. :)

I found this one on craigslist,
Yamaha FZ1 - 2009

And sat on a stock seat (no time for a test ride). I was not pressed up on the tank as bad as before but I understand what everybody means about the hard seats. I am a bit hesitant to get a fz1 with 20k miles (although the owner said he rarely red lines it and I am tempted to believe him).

Unless my buddy convinces me to get a Ducati monster (and lack of the option for hard luggage is a big negative) I will be joining the fz1 club tomorrow afternoon!

So it's official! I tried out the bike with the super puffy seat. It was day and night more comfortable than the one that pressed my jewels up against the tank.

It's an awesome bike and thanks for the advice.

Back