$900 Ohlins shock--is it worth it?

I owned a 919, called a CB900 Hornet here in Australia,mine was a 02 model,had no preload on the front ended up getting some to fit,made a world of difference,if you have money to burn yes,but you end up spending more money on the bike than what it is worth.When I sold mine I didn`t get much more than what all the extras cost [had 85,000 klm`s though].

The thing about a fancy rear shock is that it can be pulled out and sold pretty easily for a good 70% of what you paid. I always part out the worthwhile stuff on my bikes when I sell them

As the bike stands now, it's pretty damn good and I've done next to nothing. The shock is the only really expense I'll probably need to put into it

You have to remember, this isn't for an FZ1 so I can't get an S1000 rear shock or anything decent as a good base.

The Penske 8983 is around $820 & Lee @ Traxxion does not at all recommend the lower priced Penske 8900e as it would simply just be a 'replacement' but not an upgrade. That's $620 itself.

I could have the CBR F3 shock re-built/sprung/valved for a few hundred but that is a shock made for a linked bike. That is the lowest-cost option. What do you guys think of that option then?

Let's say all-in the F3 option would run me around $420

Ohlins with remote preload: $920
Penske 8983: $820
F3: $420

Which would you guys choose?

Cheap as I am I would probably go with option C.

In my experience most Japanese bikes outside of the race-bred sportbike classes come with marginal suspensions. My Versys certainly did. And like your 919 it had a non-linkage shock. A forum member figured out an 04-08 R1 shock could be modified to fit with a stiffer spring---50% stiffer in my case. Initially there were concerns the valving would be overwhelmed by the stiffer spring and linkage vs non-linkage design. But my results were great. It was on the plush side, sure, but that's what I wanted. The compression and rebound adjusters still provided a good range of adjustment, too. I'd imagine with a revalve it would have been as good as I could ask for.

Of course, that's not to say the Ohlins and Penske aren't worth it. I had an Ohlins on my SV650 and now have a Penske on my FZ1 and they really are fantastic. If you've never experienced aftermarket suspension you will be surprised how much of a difference it makes in ride comfort and roadholding. They totally deliver on the promises of modern, speed-sensitive, adjustable suspension design. And without the distracting misbehavior of the stock parts, you'll ride with greater confidence and focus. How much you allow that to increase your agressiveness will determine whether or not it's a safety upgrade, too.

So far I haven't been able to justify new suspension parts, though. I bought a used Penske off Craigslist. The seller claimed it came off an 04-06 R1 but it did not mount right up to my FZ1 with Satan's adapter. I had to order different size bushings/spacers and I suspect I need a longer, stiffer spring. But I've only spent $435 on the project and the improvement is huge. The rear end is much more comfortable over rough pavement, yet simultaneously better controlled on big bumps. I have R1 forks and now they're begging for a revalve. Watch out... it's a slippery slope!

If you have the budget for it, the aftermarket shocks are definitely worth the cost. You will find very few people who regret spending the extra cash for premium suspension parts. Thus far I have gone the cheap, long-lead route. So I've saved some money, but made up the balance with my own time spent. If you're like me and enjoy the process as much as the results, I'd encourage you to go the F3 shock route. But if you'd much rather spend your time riding than wrenching, the Penske/Ohlins will ultimately be more satisfying.

Last edited:
I have done the direct GSX-R1000 shock swap on my SV650. That $30 part alone sold me on upgraded shocks.

I think the F3 option is definitely an attractive option. I could afford to do that sort of thing right now and I'm sure it will be miles ahead of the OEM part which is a bit of a pogo stick

My 919 was terrible,as you say like a pogo stick,but after fitting the front preload ajusters[a race type] I then doing a sag test set the shock preload at the 4th setting,The ride then was firm[as I like it] an then never had any fears of being launched out of the seat when hitting potholes etc in mid corner,I believe its more of too soft a front end then a rear shock problem,I never could justify a new shock after this,by the way I weight 80kgs approx 175 pounds

Option 3, the bike is too old to warrant spending 900 bucks - plus with your track record you won't have this bike that long. ;)

Gain about 30 Lbs. Dustin, then you will feel "planted" in the corners :nana:

Hmm! But I do really like it... :) Maybe it's 'the one'? Hahaha, we'll see about that

I emailed Lee at Traxxion for a quote on option 3. I think you guys are right. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of coin on a shock

Last edited:
I've got an '02 as well so no preload available there. The rear I haven't checked because I intend to change it out anyway
I would be getting some preload adjusters, the ones out of the later models should fit,you would be just wasting your money on a rear shock,until you can adjust your front sag.

It has been set with spacers or whatever as per the spring install instructions. They give you a baseline to set the sag up.

I think it should be quite close, perhaps I should take a proper measurement.

Should be able to get preload adjusters from the wreckers should be plenty of bikes with bent forks from crashes,your new springs should still work may need to take out some spacers,or do away with them all together ,but with a little playing around should be able to get them right,anyway check out your sag properly first

While fitting the fork adjusters,I ordered another shock[more adjustment] from a crashed 919 later model,in hindsight I would not have bothered as after fitting the adjusters and redoing the sag the bike rode fine with the old shock the new one made little difference

I would imagine that the later model OEM shock should offer little benefit really. I think the modified F3 shock may prove to be an excellent upgrade.

I certainly was blown away when I put the GSX-R thousand rear shock in my SV. The $30 eBay special was undoubtedly the biggest improvement I had ever made to a bike at that point

So I found an eBay seller in GA, 15 minutes from Traxxion. He's going to deliver the F3 shock there for me for $25. Lee quoted me $350 to completely re-do the shock for me and ship it up to WA :)

f3 option hands down! its half the price, which is always my selling point, how much better is it going to be for my dollar. to me, that option sounds like your best

forgot it wasn't for the fz, oops. also, sometimes its the front that causes the pogo in the rear, odd sounding i know but true nonetheless

f3 option hands down! its half the price, which is always my selling point, how much better is it going to be for my dollar. to me, that option sounds like your best

forgot it wasn't for the fz, oops. also, sometimes its the front that causes the pogo in the rear, odd sounding i know but true nonetheless
Could`nt agree more

Back