2nd gen fz-1 vs 08 r6

I have a friend who swears at most tracks a stock r6 would take a stock fz-1. I searched all over for track times of fz-1 vs r6 and came up short. does anyone have any links of both bikes say @ laguna seca, road atlanta or any track? I don't see how stock for stock the fz would lose.

Thanks,
Sid

If you want to look at both bikes in a side by side comparison -- some will have advantages over other. Very few people are able to push a factory bike to the fullest extreme.

Obviously the FZ has a larger displacement of the R6 -- but the way the engines are built may have an impact (different compression -- internal components) Some technology may be different between the two (slilpper clutch vs. multiplate) that would give you some safety features for the higher revs you'd experience going around the track -- and I'm sure there are a few more.....

This is just my thinking w/o having pulled up one comparison of the two bikes -- bit if you stick a professional rider on an r6 and you on the FZ -- chances are, the R6 will be able to give you a run for the money -- or vice versa. It just all depends upon the circumstances at the time of doing the comparision.

Adam

wayyyyy to many variables here... if it's a tight, technical track, the R6 will have a weight advantage... if the track has any straight stretch at all, the 1000 will eat it up....

given the same rider, on a track that they know like the back of their hand, the 1000 will likely win, unless the track has no straight stretch, and corners can't be taken above a certain speed...

The 1000 will be able to add speed faster, the R6 will be able to shed speed faster... so, heading into a corner, the 600 will be able to carry more speed deeper into the corner, but the 1000 will be able to pour on more speed leaving the corner...

Speaking of FZ's specifically... it'd be about an even race... depending on the track... on a track with lots of straights, and wide sweeping corners, the FZ will win... on a tight track with very short straights... a different story..

On a road course with equal riders the R6 will smoke the FZ1. Hell, with equal riders the R6 is more than a match for the R1 on a road course in most cases. Go out on a track day in the advanced group, or go out in an open practice for a real eye opener. It wasn't too long ago where a displacement advantage meant everything, but now useability and handling counts for a lot more than horsepower.

Try riding the R6 two up on a canyon road though and it will be a different story.

On a road course with equal riders the R6 will smoke the FZ1. Hell, with equal riders the R6 is more than a match for the R1 on a road course in most cases. Go out on a track day in the advanced group, or go out in an open practice for a real eye opener. It wasn't too long ago where a displacement advantage meant everything, but now useability and handling counts for a lot more than horsepower.

Try riding the R6 two up on a canyon road though and it will be a different
story.

I have to agree with you about the R6. Years ago the bigger bikes held a distinct advantage, but that is not the case anymore. Plus the R6 is made more for the racetrack (lighter weight, faster turn in) than the FZ1.

The R6 will handily win with equal riders. There is no way the FZ1 can out corner the R6 which is built specifially for carving. The FZ1, while a great carver, is too heavy and not nearly as flickable as the R6. You might make a break in the long straights, but once in the corners, the R6 is going to slip past in short order.

No comparison.... R6 all the way. Even at a track like Willow Springs in California... "The Fastest Road in the West", AMA Champion Rich Oliver, used to destroy the field on a TZ250, in a class that had no restrictions on modifications. He would get left in the dust by the unlimited 1000cc machines on both straightaways, but the handling and the corner speed around the rest of the track would help him build a lead that, by the end of the race, put him far enough in front that he couldn't be caught.
Those were always my favorite races back in the day. It definately made you appreciate the benefits of smaller, quicker handling bikes.
That being said.... who doesn't love the feeling of your arms getting pulled out of their sockets heading down the straights?!?!

Last edited:
That being said.... who doesn't love the feeling of your arms getting pulled out of their sockets heading down the straights?!?!

The first time I let loose with the FZ1, I was close to an underwear change. Knowing what amount of pull she's got, I'm always ready for her now! :yes:

The FZ1 corners well, but it's too much weight to carry deep into the corner before dropping in, like the smaller, lighter and more agile bikes. I didn't buy her to race though. :cheers:

The R6 will handily win with equal riders. There is no way the FZ1 can out corner the R6 which is built specifially for carving. The FZ1, while a great carver, is too heavy and not nearly as flickable as the R6. You might make a break in the long straights, but once in the corners, the R6 is going to slip past in short order.

"too heavy and not nearly as flickable as the R6" The FZ1 is nearly as flickable as the R6 as it has just as good of a suspension as any bike "built for carving" True, the FZ1 is slightly (40-60lbs depending on year) heavier than the R6, but not "too heavy". "might make a break"?? Sorry fellow enthusiest but the FZ would not only make a break it would leave the R6 well behind in even the shortest of straights. The FZ would lose a few inches going into corners but due to it's far superior weight to HP ratio it would gain feet over the duration of a entire lap on 90% of AMA tracks in the U.S. That's why they have class divisions. The FZ is a slightly REtuned, comfortable R1, not a cruiser.

\"too heavy and not nearly as flickable as the R6\" The FZ1 is nearly as flickable as the R6 as it has just as good of a suspension as any bike \"built for carving\" True, the FZ1 is slightly (40-60lbs depending on year) heavier than the R6, but not \"too heavy\". \"might make a break\"?? Sorry fellow enthusiest but the FZ would not only make a break it would leave the R6 well behind in even the shortest of straights. The FZ would lose a few inches going into corners but due to it's far superior weight to HP ratio it would gain feet over the duration of a entire lap on 90% of AMA tracks in the U.S. That's why they have class divisions. The FZ is a slightly REtuned, comfortable R1, not a cruiser.

What the hell are you talking about? Are you on crack? Have you considered the fact that some people on here are ex R1 and R6 owners?

Horsepower is no subsitute for extra weight the power to weight ratio between the two would make them almost equal but hen the R6 would run away with better brakes, suspension and riding position. Don't forget they can race a R6 out of the box with a few mods even though we love our FZ's they are more sensible sport bike. Streeis very different then track.

What the hell are you talking about? Are you on crack? Have you considered the fact that some people on here are ex R1 and R6 owners?

Easy there young commrade! No need for rudeness. I was simply noting while the R6 may be a better suited track bike, for it's class, it would not "walk all over" the FZ as some have stated. It may win in certain scenerios but not all as stated very well by Mr. VA_rider. And yes I'm aware, have ridden with others, and myself familiar with all of these bike's you speak of. Let's try to keep things civil shall we? Surely this isn't the normal welcome new members are met with is it? Cheers

Last edited:
I had an FZ6, somewhat lighter than my FZ1 but (I know were talking about R6 not FZ6 - bear with me), from personal experience the two bikes are like night and day with respect to power. I had a SV650 hated it, do not like the V-twin, also had a ZZR 600 for 11 days before it was crushed by a pickup turning left in front of me. There is no comparison in my opinion with respect to raw power for a 600 vs. a 1000. Currently I have a 06 FZ1 and a 06 GSXR 1000. While the GSXR is lighter and faster in acceleration as well as top end, it doesn't completely run away from the FZ1. I know the GSXR 1000 would smoke an R6 on the track as well as the street, it is a very flickable bike also, but with my lower level of experience I am much more comfortable on my FZ1 than on the GSXR, it is very squirly on corners compared to the stability of my FZ1. I think the R6 is a great bike, but I was going to spend the money after have a liter bike, I know I would by an R1 before an R6. Our beloved FZ1's are built for comfort, power, cruising and twisties all in one package. My son has a 2000 R1 and after riding the R1 or the GSXR 1000 I am happy to get back on my FZ1 may have something to do with being 62 and looking for a comfort zone without neck pain or arm and wrist fatigue. After all is said and done most of our time is spent driving around the city or country not the race track. Hence, comfort is important to me. When I get the need for speed, I just go ride the gixxer around for half an hour go home and take a couple of advil for my neck and wrists. The rest of the time my wife rides the Gixxer and gets a charge out of kicking my behind on the interstate, but I really dont care, cause I love my FZ1. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Back