2008 FZ1, shift red - Canton, GA

troyw

Yamaha 2008 FZ1

It's my FZ1 for sale...I traded it for a Raider. It's got about every mod I could do. They're a good dealer, and I bought that bike there new. They'd probably work out a good deal, and you can tell 'em I sent you.

- Troy W.

good luck with your raider troy that bike is designed great and its fast for any bike let alone for a cruiser my friend has one and vance and hines with no baffles is the loudest stock bike ive ever heard I wont ride with him without earplugs enjoy man!

T84a...that's great you can have one of each! Someday, maybe I'll get to where I can have a dedicated sport bike AND cruiser. That is the best of all, indeed! Very cool you can do that...I can too, in a way, as my wife loves her R6, so I can take that bike down the road from time to time too.

I worked hard on that bike, and in the end, the new commute to work finally took its toll on comfort. I haven't missed it much, though, on this Raider. It is a very fast cruiser, very powerful, deceptively fast, I'd describe it as. Quality parts right from the factory, too. Nice build quality.

Yep, they have the price on the FZ1 a bit high, but they'd still make a good deal, I'd say. Between my wife and I, we've bought 5 bikes there over the last 6-7 or so years, the FZ1 being the one I had the longest, at just over 4 years. It's a good place to buy, I'd say. They gave me what I consider a good trade in on it, and I was able to get the Raider at quite a bit less than sticker.

I have a friend, Bob, that traded his '09 cobalt blue FZ1 in on a silver Raider. I think he did it for his wife. I don't think she cared for the pillion perch on the FZ1. He has the matching hard bags. It look pretty good. He let me take it for a ride. It really has some low end, but I found myself reving it out of the power band all the time. I'm just used to the FZ1 and wringing it up to redline. I was happy with the seat and how the back of it held you in place so well. Personally, I think I like the Warrior a bit better, but I'd be happy with a Raider in the garage too.

I went on a day trip with Bob, his wife and a small group. There was a Honda VTX 1800 that had been lowered and couldn't corner, a first gen V-Max and some sort of full dress HD (I don't know 1 HD from another). Everyone else had their wife on the back, I was solo on the FZ1. I felt like they had a good pace going and was shocked how fast that Raider with 2 up could move around the corners. In fact the V-Max and even the HD all kept a fast pace, but the VTX couldn't corner and always got left behind. I suspect the rider wasn't very experienced and he and his wife were both pretty big. We would stop on occation to let them catch up.

I guess my rambling point is, enjoy your Raider. I bet it's weird to see your FZ1 up for sale, even though you knew it would be. It look like it's in great condition. I think Bob's FZ1 has been up for sale for a few years now. The dealer put the retro kit on it to try to make it more apealing. I test rode it, but they wanted my '07 + $2000 and that wasn't going to happen. Bob's bike didn't have any mods either.

Stay safe!

I have had the Raider for about a month or so now...and I've tried registering several times for that board. They will not get back to me, accept me, let me register. I have no idea why on earth they would not want a new member on board, then completely ignore all requests and attempts to communicate. Contrast that with getting on this forum, Magna forums, FZ1OA, VTX forums, and now starbikeforums.com. I had no problem, and have has some good conversation with folks in these forums. I don't get it. I'd also like to get some maps, like we do here, for the Raider...but that's the only place i can find them, and I can't seem to get in there. Odd.

Check out Yamaha Road Star Raider Motorcycle Forum - Index. Its a decent board but not alot of mechanical knowledge.

Hey BDazzler, I don't know if it was the rider or not, on the VTX. I've been riding since I was a kid, and now I'm 43. I've had all kinds of bikes...and that's the thing about the VTX...ha ha...is it doesn't corner well at all. I had lowered it, yes. But I also kept the suspension fairly firm, and put in some stiffer Race Tech springs up front. It was better, but it reached it's limits fast. So does the Raider, but as you pointed out, it handles a lot better than the VTX did.

Yeah, it's a bit strange to see a bike I spent so much time on...and besides a very few little nicks, it is in really great condition. I do love the FZ1, and I know what you mean about revving it past it's power range. I've been wondering why it feels a little weaker in the top end...it's either every Dynojet map is too lean, as they all take lots of fuel out, or yeah, it just is not an FZ1. I know the latter is true, but these cruisers have such a short rev range, it takes getting used to...again.

Back