1980 xs1100 sg

I saw a nice XS1100 on Cycle Trader a couple weeks ago and it looked pretty sharp for a 31 year old bike. 56,000 miles but the PO said it ran OK. For a grand and a trip to Minneapolis I figured I couldn't go wrong. It had a Vetter faring, bags, and trunk but I wasn[t interested in that stuff, I wanted a genuine XS1100 Special. In it's day it was considered "the King". 1101 CC, 95 H.P. and a good 12 second runner. Might not sound like a lot these days, but remember, this was 31 years ago, not 2011. Although it's in pretty good shape, it will take a lot of work to get it completely right. So far I found a mouse nest in the air box, cracked fuel and vacuum hoses, a lot of aluminum that needs someTLC and 8 valves that haven't had their clearance checked in ? years. Every one was out of speck by at least a full tenth of a MM and a couple by two. Much more and they wouldn't have been closing at all. I'm running against the clock trying to get t ready to take to Arizona this winter but I have a lot to do and I'm not going to hurry the situation. I've already got a buyer for next Spring if I decide to sell it. I actually bought it to see if I could still rebuild an "old" carbed bike and make it run like it should. This thing has both a vacuum advance and a centrifugal. When was the last time you saw a setup like that on a street bike?. I'll be yanking the cams today to see what the existing shims are so I can order new ones. I think this will turn out to be a nice bike in the end and I needed a project. Believe it or not, I got it for $200 more than a guy locally wanted for a 1978 Honda 400 twin that wasn't in 1/4 as good a condition. Just goes to show you can find good deals if you look long enough and are willing to roll up your sleeves.

Looks good! I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a "standard" Japanese bike to just ride around. Plus I kind of want a naked bike :)

Back