16t sprocket's performance?

mjfreuland

Ok so I just put on my new gytr 16t front sprocket. I've already done just aball the other mods like PCIII, gytr slip on, gutted cat, opended up air box, k&n air filter, shaved sub throttle plates, and now 16t sprocket and honestly i couldn't really tell that much difference in accelleration or performance in any way. I just wanted to know how big a difference there should be, if any....

I think you notice the 16T sprocket more on a stock bike. Once you do all the other mods (intake, exhaust, PC III, etc.) it's not as noticeable. However, it does wheelie a lot easier (not that it didn't before) :D

wheelie off the clutch or just power wheelies? and would it help if i mapped it different, maybe somehow for acceleration cause that's mainly what I'm looking for

With the 16T you are accomplishing two things, 1) less spread between gears (think close ratio gear box), and 2) shorter overall gearing. With those things you should be quicker out of the hole, but that is about it. For a the road track you should have more gears to work with (on a given track), which can be a good or bad thing, depends on the track. For street I just down shift or feather the clutch as I like having the higher overall gearing for the highway.

wheelie off the clutch or just power wheelies? and would it help if i mapped it different, maybe somehow for acceleration cause that's mainly what I'm looking for

My bike will easily power wheelie in 1st gear with stock gearing. It doesn't hurt to try a different map in your PC III.

With the 16T you are accomplishing two things, 1) less spread between gears (think close ratio gear box), and 2) shorter overall gearing. With those things you should be quicker out of the hole, but that is about it. For a the road track you should have more gears to work with (on a given track), which can be a good or bad thing, depends on the track. For street I just down shift or feather the clutch as I like having the higher overall gearing for the highway.

Well You definitely accomplish #2 (shorter overall gearing), but the spread between gears remains the same since you're not changing the internal transmission ratios. It just "feels" like a close ratio box because there is more torque multiplication available in each gear due to the overall shorter gearing.

My bike will easily power wheelie in 1st gear with stock gearing. It doesn't hurt to try a different map in your PC III.

Well You definitely accomplish #2 (shorter overall gearing), but the spread between gears remains the same since you're not changing the internal transmission ratios. It just "feels" like a close ratio box because there is more torque multiplication available in each gear due to the overall shorter gearing.

True the proportion of change is the same from gear to gear, but when compared to the stock gearing the difference when actually shifting from one gear to another is less (about 6% less - off the top of my head), thus aping a close ratio gearbox.

I think it would be cool to have individual gears. I love to have 1 to 5 close and 6 as an overdrive.

I think it would be cool to have individual gears. I love to have 1 to 5 close and 6 as an overdrive.

The ideal setup for our bikes would be to swap out first gear with the first gear from the new FZ8 and keep the stock 17/45 gearing. This would do away with our too tall first gear. However, it involves a lot of work. The FZ8 has a 2.692 1st gear while the FZ1 has a 2.533 1st gear. The rest of the ratios (2-6) are the same.

I noticed a big difference from 17t to 16t, the bike seems too be more alive, it revs faster and pulls harder as the gearbox is closer. It hasn't effected milage and i have found with a higher profile 55 tyre my speedo is bang-on correct.

I noticed a big difference from 17t to 16t, the bike seems too be more alive, it revs faster and pulls harder as the gearbox is closer. It hasn't effected milage and i have found with a higher profile 55 tyre my speedo is bang-on correct.

Are there any clearance issues with the 55 tire with the swingarm or hugger? Thanks!

Are there any clearance issues with the 55 tire with the swingarm or hugger? Thanks!

No clearance issues. The higher profile helps the bike turn quicker and gives you more meat on the tarmac on lean angles.

No clearance issues. The higher profile helps the bike turn quicker and gives you more meat on the tarmac on lean angles.

Do you have a gps to to get the accuracy right or by feeling. I'm looking at doing both sprocket and tyre change. If its spot on then ill look at doing it so I dont have to get a speedo healer. does the 55 tyre make the bike ride & feel like a sports bike...? are you scrapin pegs?

Do you have a gps to to get the accuracy right or by feeling. I'm looking at doing both sprocket and tyre change. If its spot on then ill look at doing it so I dont have to get a speedo healer. does the 55 tyre make the bike ride & feel like a sports bike...? are you scrapin pegs?

You can ride the FZ1 like a sports bike and scrape the pegs regardless !!!
I run 190/50/17 Pilot Road 2's and i get it cranked right over NO problems !!!
:worship:

The ideal setup for our bikes would be to swap out first gear with the first gear from the new FZ8 and keep the stock 17/45 gearing. This would do away with our too tall first gear. However, it involves a lot of work. The FZ8 has a 2.692 1st gear while the FZ1 has a 2.533 1st gear. The rest of the ratios (2-6) are the same.

Good call. I wonder how doable that would be?

The first gear, gear for the FZ1 is $53.00. Not bad. Only problem is I've never done a transmission before.

I have rearsets now set-up about 20mm higher than stock height. And yes i wore my standard pegs out, i even got aftermarket pegs thinking they would give me more ground clearance but no wore them out also. As far as the speedo i rode with a couple of mates and did a speedo check off them, also i have done the same with the my car on the open road. I have checked it a few times and it seems to be bang-on with the 55 profile, i have always ran a55 profile as it alows you to turn quicker and have more contact with the road, i don't know anyone who runs 50 anymore. I also am doing a chain & sprocket change over soon and will be doing a 520 conversion 16t/47t. From what i hear the 520 conversion give you about 5-7% more drive due to reduced friction and weight. With the gearing it should be quite a difference. I run a 16t at the moment a like it alot, what was Yamaha thinking with a 17t?. The gearing 16t/47t seems right for this bike to maximize the full potential without sacrificing top speed in fact,you gain top speed because the bike is allowed to rev higher "result".

Stock 06 fz1 wheelie

My stock 2006 FZ1 won't do power wheelies. Have to clutch it up with a lot of RPMs. At least 2 reviews I read on the fz1 said the same thing so I don't feel bad. I've been thinking about going bigger on rear sprocket and adding a holeshot exhaust. Does that sound reasonable? Is it better to add teeth to the back or decrease teeth on the front sprocket? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
My stock 2006 FZ1 won't do power wheelies. Have to clutch it up with a lot of RPMs. At least 2 reviews I read on the fz1 said the same thing so I don't feel bad. I've been thinking about going bigger on rear sprocket and adding a holeshot exhaust. Does that sound reasonable? Is it better to add teeth to the back or decrease teeth on the front sprocket? Thanks.

I would do all the suggested mods especially the free ones and get over 150rwhp then you'll defeinetly pull the front up without clutching. Since my stock 08 will pull the wheel up a couple of inches at 8k to 10k without really trying.

Well typically it's probably better to increase the rear sprocket, but with the stock FZ1 front being 17T there is no harm (accelerated chain wear) by switching to a 16T front sprocket. Increasing the size of the rear also has the added advantage of slightly reducing the wheelbase, which should make the bike turn a little faster. However, a rear sprocket is more expensive than a front one so with all that being said install a front OEM 16T sprocket from a Gen I FZ1 and call it a day, that's what I did...

I now run 520 16/47. The bike feels great, it has more of everything. Even on cruise mod it purrs along nicely. I recommend this gearing 100%.

Back