09 fz1 front sprocket change

I would like to drop to a 16t front sprocket. I'm not familiar with chain terminology. I have the original chain and gears on the bike. It's a 2009 fz1. Just want to use the stock chain an rear sprocket. What sprocket do I need to get?

Order yourself a stock Gen 1 FZ1 front sprocket from Yamaha.
It's the same as the one you have on your Gen II but has 16 teeth.
It also has the rubber dampers on it like your one and costs around $20.

By going to the 16 tooth sprocket how much is the speedo out say at 60mph (100kph)? The speedo is already off by around 3mph at 60mph, curious on how much further out it will be.

I was looking on eBay. There are some with 520 and 530 pitch. From what I've figured out is it the 530 that I need. Just assumed if its in the yamaha parts catalog it would be expensive. $20 is a good price. Guess ill just call the dealer here and get one.

I use a garmin LM40 to watch my speed. The speedo was off right from new. The only value for the healer would be resale value according to mileage as it will be much higher then actual mileage.

Healtech's website has an online calculator, they say typically a factory gauge is off by +5.5%, and the difference in dropping a tooth on the front sprocket would be -5.9%. Going by what they say, your factory gauge may be more accurate after dropping a tooth.

Healtech's website has an online calculator, they say typically a factory gauge is off by +5.5%, and the difference in dropping a tooth on the front sprocket would be -5.9%. Going by what they say, your factory gauge may be more accurate after dropping a tooth.

something is wrong, it can't be more accurate after dropping one in the front sprocket.. it could be if you drop one at the rear

I think a correction device is needed only if you have something like -1 front and +<2 rear, the rear tire brand/model and wear will have some effect too.

I recently changed my front sprocket for a Renthal 16 tooth.... The bike then had a noisy transmission and the fairing buzzed and vibrated awfully...... I have now changed back to a Yamaha 16 tooth sprocket, (Early R1 ), and the bike is much better , no vibrations ! ... Whichever you fit be sure it has the rubber cush on the sprocket........ Best of Luck ..... Mike.

You are getting your pluses and minuses confused. Typically factory is off by 5.5%. Add that to the 5.9% error with the 16T and you get aprox a 11.4% error. My bike stock was off around 7%. When I added my 16/47 combo I had to correct it almost 17% checked by GPS.

i had same results as kpd1031, I changed front sprocket first and that plus the factory error alone was really annoying. Now I have 16/47 and my speed and mileage is right on. Definately worth it especially since the oem 16t is so cheep

Im still uncorrected. 70 according to my speedo is 62 according to roadside radar. Which when i went by in the dodge was right on with my gps. I tend to keep between 68-70 (60-62 ish)

So as of now for every 100 miles the odometer reads 105. After I drop a tooth it will be 117. So at 10,000 miles my odometer will read 11,700. If I had done it when new.

Definetly getting the the one with the rubber isolater. I don't need a 1000cc viberator. Although my wife might.

Back