06 Throttle snatch issue

Utah06FZ1

I have a 2006 FZ1 and I have read about the throttle snatch issue. Some say you get used to it and others have said it is downright dangerous. Quick question, Would installing a "newer" 07-12 ECU fix it?

I have a 2006 FZ1 and I have read about the throttle snatch issue. Some say you get used to it and others have said it is downright dangerous. Quick question, Would installing a "newer" 07-12 ECU fix it?

Simple answer...yes. It will be better than the stock '06 ECU or you can install Ivan's FCE, which is probably a cheaper alternative.

I have a 2010 model FZ1 with all the mods and I have no idea what they are talking about.

There is no snatch on my bike and I don't have an FCE.

If you can find a 2010+ ECU for a good price then I would go with that or get your existing ECU reflashed.

Even at full list price the 2010 ecu is worth the money. I happen to run a 2010 Euro version on an 08 bike. The ECU Unleashed route may be a second option.

Beast

Ive got a 06 with standard ecu , has a PCIII and and a dyno tune.

Runs excellent at any revs , no issues with anything on or off the gas.

Hmm, It sounds like I ought to ride it a little before I blow my money. For all I know it may have had some work done already, C'mon spring !!!

Hmm, It sounds like I ought to ride it a little before I blow my money. For all I know it may have had some work done already, C'mon spring !!!

Well a PC III or V is not going to cure the "throttle snatch" that you're talking about. However, maybe you'll be lucky like me and the previous owner already installed the FCE. Only way to really check is to lift up the fuel tank and check for it.

Sounds A Good idea to ride your bike 1st rather than whinge about problems about certain models that abound on the internet , originateing and copied worldwide by a journo and copied and pasted everywhere turning a molehill into a mountain .

Or in otherwords how to turn a small fuelling issue into a major dangerous problem . Thus creates a myth that creates a industry onto itself dedicated to solving the non issue or issue , depending on how much you believe what you read.

I find it quite amusing all the hysteria about 06 models throttle snatch .

Its not terminal cancer mate , relax and enjoy the bike 1st riding it before trying to over analize problems that may or may not exist.

Sounds A Good idea to ride your bike 1st rather than whinge about problems about certain models that abound on the internet , originateing and copied worldwide by a journo and copied and pasted everywhere turning a molehill into a mountain .

Or in otherwords how to turn a small fuelling issue into a major dangerous problem . Thus creates a myth that creates a industry onto itself dedicated to solving the non issue or issue , depending on how much you believe what you read.

Its not terminal cancer mate , relax and enjoy the bike 1st riding it before trying to over analize problems that may or may not exist.

+2 :ditto:

Well I agree with you...a lot of people wont even notice the fuel cut because it only happens under certain conditions. I would never call it "dangerous"...just more of an annoyance. The point that I was trying to stress was that a PC III or V wont cure it.

Yamaha hasn't exactly gotten the fueling right on the FZ1 to this day. I rode the Kawasaki Z1000 (and Ninja 1000) and found that fueling to be spot-on compared to the Yamaha. However, you can learn to ride around the issue with smooth throttle control (which is not a bad thing).

Good one mate.

I had people on the other forum tell me that I wasn't riding hard enough as I didn't have an issue with the fuel cut on my 2010 model lol

I have never had the fuel cut issue on my 2010 in stock or now modded form.

The fueling on my 2004 GSX-R750 trackbike was much worse than this bike, they had a bit of an on/off switch for a throttle but you got around it by learning to be smooth and upping the idle to 2000 rpm to assist in slow corners.

The FZ1 is pretty good in comparison, I have no complaints whatsoever.

People get too deep these days, worring about nothing

There's also a thing on the left handlebar , its called a clutch.

I test for AFR on nearly every ride. One thing I found is these bikes have a real problem holding AFR. As the weather gets colder, these bikes generally need less fuel.

The other thing I have found is that the throttle response is fairly sensitive the AFR that the motor is coming from. Both lean or rich. 99% of my AFR testing is done below 6500 RPM and below 15% throttle. This is where you ride and where the typical tuners don't want to talk about. All they want to concentrate on is the easy stuff, WOT.

I have never tested the 06 ECU but the fuel cut on the 08 is at 6400 RPM and the 2010 is at 6800 RPM. I do run a 1400 RPM idle and it is possible that has a slight effect on this. Both ECUs are lean in overrun. I now run right near 14.7 AFR on a downshift. I have no sign of exhaust pop up there. My old Stage one map used to pop occasionally on a fast shift. That is gone now on the MAP based tuning.

Here is a screen shot of the MAP vs RPM plot showing AFR in color on one of the plots. I am showing acceleration in color on the other plot. I tend to run around 14.4 or so when the motor is holding a steady RPM and move to about 13.5 as the power starts coming on.

see http://www.ncs-stl.com/pc5wb/2010ECU_AFR vsAccel.bmp

I am now testing running a lot of my map in closed loop. My AFR map is all MAP based. TPS based maps are simply too problematic to ever work well.

Here is a comparison of the 2010 ECU of me AFR results before and after tuning. The lean area in overrun can be seen as a red area in the lot left of the plot.

http://www.ncs-stl.com/pc5wb/2010ECU_BeforeAndAfter.bmp

Have fun tuning

Beast

Last edited:
If anyone has a spare 06 ECU laying around, I would love to borrow it for a little quick testing. My ECU has been relocated to under the seat so that I can swap it in about 10 min. My bet is that we may be able to develop a tune that works without an FCE.

Beast

People get too deep these days, worring about nothing

There's also a thing on the left handlebar , its called a clutch.

I agree. I was out yesterday on my '09 and was trying to induce any sort misbehaviour with chopping the throttle under many conditions and I just couldn't detect any issue. It's fine for those that want to fine tune the system to what they think is a better state but the finicky reputation for fueling of the FZ1 on this board borders on hysterical. I think many people go down the mod route because people say they have to do it to enjoy the bike. I say ride and enjoy, even box stock the FZ1 is a hoot to drive.

I agree. I was out yesterday on my '09 and was trying to induce any sort misbehaviour with chopping the throttle under many conditions and I just couldn't detect any issue. It's fine for those that want to fine tune the system to what they think is a better state but the finicky reputation for fueling of the FZ1 on this board borders on hysterical. I think many people go down the mod route because people say they have to do it to enjoy the bike. I say ride and enjoy, even box stock the FZ1 is a hoot to drive.

I wouldn't go that far. The '06 definitely had it's fueling issues that Yamaha has tried correcting over the years. I have ridden enough other FI bikes to tell you that the FZ1 fueling is far from perfect. Is it a deal breaker? Absolutely not.

And by the way the FZ1's fueling issues are also well documented in magazine tests. And while I don't believe everything I read in magazines those guys test enough bikes every year to know if the fueling is right or not...

Back