02 FZ1 Re-gains its Street Wothyiness!

Do you have a shot of the bike that shows off the front a bit more?

I keep going back and forth on going naked with my 02, but I commute on mine on the freeway and am not sure I would like the extra wind on me....

Depends how tall you are. I'm 6'4" and the 50 miles I had ridden the bike with the fairing on it, I did not like it. The wind came up under my helmet and almost felt like it was lifting me. The tank being wider I didn't feel like I got any protection there for my legs. In my gear and with the euro conversion naked kit, I honestly think the wind distribution is better and only becomes noticeable over 85, which at that point I should be slowing back down again anyway.

I like it, any plans to black out the forks and headlight surrounds to help it match the rest of the bike?

It did cross my mind. I have a spare set forks and I may send the lower legs in for powder coating later. I sent the pasenger pegs and brackets in for powder coating as I may have a passenger now then because I did try them back on the bike but the bright aluminum look just didn't do it for me. I dissasembled the pegs off the brackets to get everything powder coated so it's all blacked out. I considered just painting them but I know the finish would never last so for $40 I figured what the hell I'm going to do it .

Last edited:
It did cross my mind. I have a spare set forks and I may send the lower legs in for powder coating later. I sent the pasenger pegs and brackets in for powder coating as I may have a passenger now then because I did try them back on the bike but the bright aluminum look just didn't do it for me. I dissasembled the pegs off the brackets to get everything powder coated so it's all blacked out. I considered just painting them but I know the finish would never last so for $40 I figured what the hell I'm going to do it .

I painted the passenger pegs on mine, but I don't have anyone riding pillion so nothing is rubbing on them. so far they have lasted just fine.

I painted the passenger pegs on mine, but I don't have anyone riding pillion so nothing is rubbing on them. so far they have lasted just fine.

I thought about doing that but i often send transmission cases to get powder coated close by so decided to go this route. I may have them back by tomorrow and I'll post a pic

Last edited:

A guy over on the FZ8 forum used black Plasti-Dip on his forks.
Here is the link:

Bored with Plasti Dip - Yamaha FZ8 Forums - International FZ8 Motorcycle Community Forum

A guy over on the FZ8 forum used black Plasti-Dip on his forks.
Here is the link:

Bored with Plasti Dip - Yamaha FZ8 Forums - International FZ8 Motorcycle Community Forum

I thought about the plastidip some more and I figured lets try it! I had to pull the wheel off to put a new tire on anyways. I picked some up at a local Home Hardware store last night and pulled the forks off to make it easier to clean and paint them. I cleaned them with brake cleaner to strip off any oil and dirt. I had put new seals and wipers in them last year so they were still pretty clean. It's still cold up here around freezing and I only keep the shop at 50 degrees. I cranked the heat up then warmed the can and warmed up the fork legs with a torch till the were good and warm to the touch. I laid on several coats let them dry overnite then put it all back together. I really like the satin and somewhat textured finish of this product!.......perfect for the application. Really happy with the looks!

Pics to follow

Nice job, we don't get to see a lot of FZ1's that have been brought back from the death bed. I'd like too see more FZ1's that were crashed then reincarnated as a modified ride. Today it's more likely to see a 30 or 40 year old bike that was relegated to the old barn after the original owner gave up on making it run, someone stumbles upon it many years later and "sees" a ridable bike and with some blood, sweat, and tears, a great machine is born.

Nice job, we don't get to see a lot of FZ1's that have been brought back from the death bed. I'd like too see more FZ1's that were crashed then reincarnated as a modified ride. Today it's more likely to see a 30 or 40 year old bike that was relegated to the old barn after the original owner gave up on making it run, someone stumbles upon it many years later and "sees" a ridable bike and with some blood, sweat, and tears, a great machine is born.

Thanks Lonerider59....Today there is a trend to reincarnate sometimes and otherwise almost worthless old japanese barn finds into Cafe Racers. Alot of these bike's would not be good choices for restoration or Bobbers but make excellent cafe's. Prime candidates usually have ravaged cosmetics and missing oem parts......Even small displacement bikes seem to be able to fit in a respectable way. Rat bikes are part of the mix as well.......All in all it's great to see.

Where'd you pick up that headlight? I'd like to get my FZ1 back to stock... but that's taking longer and costing more than I planned, and taking more work.
So where'd you pick up the headlight and mounting gear, how much did it cost? Does it plug into the stock harness?

They are universal EMGO 5 3/4" with side mounts. I ordered these in through one of our suppliers here in Canada but I'm sure many suppliers have access to them. My cost was around $38 each, They don't plug into the stock harness but I did splice on a male adapter sockets purchased from NAPA because I didn't want to cut the bikes harness either.

Last edited:
Back