Yamaha Warranty Info

Yamaha Warranty Info (Help Requested)

I have a friend with a Yamaha Tenere that's still under its extended warranty (it's literally days past it's factory warranty). He had a spoke break and chew up his swing arm. Yamaha is replacing the spoke under warranty, but won't do anything about the swing arm. I keep telling him to escalate.

I'm curious if anyone (especially those of you who had to deal with bad frame welds) has any contact info other than the "normal" channels that he's being routed through (he was told that there was no supervisor available when he asked for one). I'm going to pass the information along to Mr. Tenere if I can find something.

Apparently, this is a problem that is pretty commonly popping up on the forums, but others have been lucky that there was no damage to the swing arm. In this case, it looks like someone took a hack saw to it.

Thanks.

Edit: Changed title

Last edited:
No supervisor available, I find that difficult to believe. Who is keeping the employees in check from just granting to fix/repair everything?

It may not be the best advice, but tell friend to try and keep calm when working their way up through the ranks. I have found that shorter hold times and higher ups available instead of hanging on the phone for longer periods. (basis for Verizon/ATT).

I had two devices go belly up after one year as well as asking for equipment replacement on a device that as 29 days past one year warranty. I was able to get devices replaced with reconditioned equipment, but left me better off than 3 dead devices.

I know that it is not in the same category, but it also worked for me on my Ford with extended warranty when the radiator/turbo were giving me problems.

Sent from: Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:
This is excellent advice, actually. I think that staying calm is critical when you're dealing with customer service. I know some people get results when they rant and rave, but that's not my style.

I talked to a friend who used to be a Service Manager at a Yamaha Dealership and he offered some general suggestions (no names or phone numbers, unfortunately). He also suggested requesting that the "Regional Service Rep" take a look at it. There was even some suggestion that mention the possibility of getting the NHTSA involved might urge a little more service on Yamaha's part. A broken spoke damaging a swing arm might be considered a life-threatening issue, depending on perspective.

I'm very curious what the folks who have had to escalate the frame-cracked issue on the early Gen II's had to go through. Did Yamaha quickly admit a problem at the first level of support, or did it take a higher-level person to authorize the repairs/replacements?

My friend keeps asking me if I'd ride it as-is (from a safety standpoint), and I keep telling him that I'd exhaust all my options with Yamaha before going any further. He ordered a new swing-arm assembly off a crashed bike and is willing to swap it out for the damaged one, but my suggestion is to keep applying pressure to Yamaha Customer Service to exhaust that possibility. If he puts the replacement part on himself, I wonder how much future trouble that opens him up to with regard to his extended warranty.

Call Yamaha directly. Going through the shop is a waste of time and energy. Be nice and explain the facts. Then be prepared to keep waiting. Eventually the regional guy will look at it, maybe.

What exactly do you mean it 'chewed up the swingarm'? As I understand your first note a spoke broke which was covered under the warranty. But what is the actual damage done to the swingarm? Serious cosmetic damage, structural damage, something else? If it was structural damage I would think Yamaha should cover it, if it just severely scratched the swingarm but didn't damage it structurally the call is grayer. They usually won't cover cosmetic defects like this. It's worth fighting for, but the outcome is unclear.

Last edited:
Call Yamaha directly. Going through the shop is a waste of time and energy.

Agreed. He's dealing directly with Yamaha Customer Service.

What exactly do you mean it 'chewed up the swingarm'?

There are some fairly deep scratches. I'd like to say it's just cosmetic, but I'm not an expert. I think he would actually be fine with someone (an expert) telling him that it's safe to ride.

I attached a picture he sent me of the damage.

Attachments

• SWINGARM2.jpg
    SWINGARM2.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 74
Man, what is going on with Yamaha? Weren't they named most reliable last year or so? Raiders are having some issues and Yamaha has actually replaced at least one bike with a new one. I haven't had any issues with mine but I don't ride it much. Yamaha's customer service number is 1-800-656-7695. Wish him luck.

Back